The Health and Fitness Thread

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Who here is into health and fitness? Who has done a Dexa scan or any other tests of similar aspects? Does anyone have a good, quality calculator for an accurate depiction of BMR without getting a thorough test done? (Mainly as an idea.)

Keep your theories on food and macros to yourselves for now because that's another topic like politics or oil that can get rowdy very quickly. I'm only interested in the information that applies to everyone as a collective.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
I would say I'm into health and fitness, but I've never gotten into any of the fancy body scans. As a health and pe major we were taught how to calculate body fat which can be somewhat useful. I quickly learned bmi is a dumb thing to calculate. And as with most things in life there isn't one way to do things "right".

When you hear "everything in moderation" it's pretty true... Except for maybe hard drugs and other such things, but you get the point.

As a society I believe we would be healthier and more fit if from an early age we were taught that fitness can be fun (not doing fitness tests, not forcing everyone to do a bunch of sports, etc) and that we can have a healthy relationship with food. Many countries see food as an experience not just fuel as we do in America. And for the most part they have better eating habits and are less overweight. We promote fad diets, cheat days, and other such things that make it seem like some foods are evil or can only be had when we break some rule or "cheat".

Anyway, that is my general .02 on the subject but am happy to dive into anything more specifically if someone wants my opinion!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I'm interested! What type of "lifestyle" do you lead in terms of the way you eat and how often you do any sort of exercise? I have the notion that you're around 30 years old, but what's your height and weight? How has your outlook changed since you got out of high school?

Eagleye

Tinkerer
31, 5'9" 160lbs
I coach soccer, ride my bike in online races about 2 times a week, and have a 3 year old... So he keeps me pretty active.

Diet wise we just focus on small portions (I'm less likely to over eat if I go back for seconds vs. starting with a big plate of food). I eat very fast too so it helps with that too. We eat a mix of foods, no diets.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
What about liquids? Do you only drink water? Do you drink a particular type? How much do you drink?

Eagleye

Tinkerer
What about liquids? Do you only drink water? Do you drink a particular type? How much do you drink?
Mainly water (no brand, just tap). Couldn't say how much. I have a squirt top bottle that I carry everywhere (sad but I find that having a squirt top vs a screw lid gets me to drink more). I would guess I drink about 100oz a day. If I ride that day then 130-150oz.

I drink a little Gatorade/Powerade too.

I use to drink a good bit of tea but after a kidney stone last year I have all but cut it out. It took a little adjustment at first, but I feel better overall if I avoid caffeine.