Anyone else into flashlights

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
How essential is it to be a headlamp?

I guess it doesn't have to be a headlamp. But it is nice to have your hands free for your gun, treestand, etc. on the way into the woods. If I'm headed out of the woods dragging a deer it MUST be a headlamp, BUT at that point I just use white because if I already shot something then I am not worried about spooking deer with a white light.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I guess it doesn't have to be a headlamp. But it is nice to have your hands free for your gun, treestand, etc. on the way into the woods. If I'm headed out of the woods dragging a deer it MUST be a headlamp, BUT at that point I just use white because if I already shot something then I am not worried about spooking deer with a white light.

Do deer not see red light?

Educate me! :tup:

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Lots of animals have color variations/deficiencies in their vision. They don't seem to see red very well, although it is believed that they do see something, it just doesn't seem to spook them much. Coyotes are much the same way. Feral hogs are often hunted at night with a red or green (which is becoming more popular) lamp. Some people use green for coyotes as well, but it generally makes them paranoid.

Besides the reaction of animals, red light has the advantage of not screwing with your night vision. If you ever watch war movies where they are inside a ship or submarine in the evening, all the lights are set to red. This is so that I can be on watch all night in a (red) lit space, walk outside in the dark and see perfectly fine.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Lots of animals have color variations/deficiencies in their vision. They don't seem to see red very well, although it is believed that they do see something, it just doesn't seem to spook them much. Coyotes are much the same way. Feral hogs are often hunted at night with a red or green (which is becoming more popular) lamp. Some people use green for coyotes as well, but it generally makes them paranoid.

Besides the reaction of animals, red light has the advantage of not screwing with your night vision. If you ever watch war movies where they are inside a ship or submarine in the evening, all the lights are set to red. This is so that I can be on watch all night in a (red) lit space, walk outside in the dark and see perfectly fine.

Do police interceptor's have red interior dome lights for the same reasoning?

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Do police interceptor's have red interior dome lights for the same reasoning?

I don't know, but they SHOULD!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
So what do you guys do for illumination when working on cars? Do you just have fantastically well lit garages?

I've always basically worked in a dungeon but relied on a headlamp. And I'll say that a GOOD headlamp makes a ton of difference.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
So what do you guys do for illumination when working on cars? Do you just have fantastically well lit garages?

I've always basically worked in a dungeon but relied on a headlamp. And I'll say that a GOOD headlamp makes a ton of difference.

One of my buddies bought me a Streamlight Stylus Pro and it's great, but you still have to hold on to it. Maybe I'll buy another headlamp and keep one in the garage and one in my hunting stuff.

My old garage wasn't very well lighted, so I had some extra flood lights set up. I haven't done much car work in the new garage, but it's way better lit than before. Now that we plan to be there for 20 years, I'll probably install a bunch of extra lights, as well as some ventilation fans for the summer and heater for the winter. But now I'm getting off topic...

Last edited:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Two light bars hinged on the ceiling, 3 magnetic handheld flashlights, and a plug in stationary, bright lamp.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
As mentioned in the Platinum - Firearms thread, I ended up going with a Streamlight ProTac HL-X with the rail mount kit. It is pretty impressive, especially for the relatively lightweight and compact nature. Now my Mk18 clone has proper illumination capabilities. You definitely want to properly identify your target before pulling the trigger, and blinding him with the strobe helps too. :lol:

Head over to that thread for a couple pics...

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Also, the Acebeam H30, a headlamp, has an option for a brightass main light with a secondary red light and a tertiary UV beam. The red is a single brightness, so may be too bright/dim for hunting. But I thought the UV could be good for tracking blood splatters off a wounded animal.

Unfortunately it's not exactly a cheap headlamp, but maybe some hunting forums have some reviews diving into it's merits.

Edit: H30 not h40

Last edited:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I just impulse bought an acebeam E10. It's a handheld lightsaber. And for you hunters, it comes in a green or red option that's supposed to be good for animals and night vision. I'll post some beam shots, but from what I've seen it's going to be ridiculous. It's all spot, no flood, and goes out something like 600m so basically farther than you'll be able to see without binoculars

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Dang, $60? I'd like to see some real life pictures of it whenever you receive it.

It's something that I'd keep in the car because it seems to be too thick for trousers or a sport jacket.

The rechargeable battery sure is interesting.

If it's insanely bright and projects at the distance it's advertised to, then I think I'll bite.

E10-3.jpg

E10-5.jpg

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Dang, $60? I'd like to see some real life pictures of it whenever you receive it.

It's something that I'd keep in the car because it seems to be too thick for trousers or a sport jacket.

The rechargeable battery sure is interesting.

If it's insanely bright and projects at the distance it's advertised to, then I think I'll bite.

http://www.acebeam.com/Images/uploaded/E10/E10-3.jpg

http://www.acebeam.com/Images/uploaded/E10/E10-5.jpg

It comes today. So if you buy on Amazon it's $50 and free returns for any reason. So basically free trial! (edit: oh that's only the white version on Amazon, not the green/red)

Wednesday I'll be headed to a lake in NH so lots of opportunity for some beamshots. Granted, I only have a phone for photos, so they may not be great--but i'll be able to give a good subjective opinion. Also you can read some reviews on reddit.com/r/flashlight and i'm sure on the budgetlightforum

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
It comes today. So if you buy on Amazon it's $50 and free returns for any reason. So basically free trial! (edit: oh that's only the white version on Amazon, not the green/red)

Wednesday I'll be headed to a lake in NH so lots of opportunity for some beamshots. Granted, I only have a phone for photos, so they may not be great--but i'll be able to give a good subjective opinion. Also you can read some reviews on reddit.com/r/flashlight and i'm sure on the budgetlightforum

3 weeks and still no update!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Oh man!

Took it to the lake. It turns out a big lake isn't exactly the best place to try out anything budget, IMO. There are some flashlights that can literally shine MILES, but they're $$$$. Those guys woulda been able to do some real impressing. I tried to aim my thrower at the nearest shore and it could only light it up a bit. ~1/4 mile and a bit of fog. So that got me kinda sad. But then i turned around and shined it in the woods. HOLY CRAP. It looks so badass. Lakes just have huuuuge distances.

I did get a chance to compare it to my dad's flashlight that was a thing of legend when i was a kid. He's had one for decades that looks kinda like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0052TQX64 but way older and a bit bigger. As a kid that was THE word in flashlights (handheld spotlights). In comparison though, my pocket light was just a tad brighter on the nearest shore line, and waaaay better beam quality. I didn't get any beamshots, but I'll be keeping it to have fun with.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
My micro stream died about a week ago.

The on/off button just stopped working, and I couldn't fix it in my attempt.

So, I bought another flashlight and it came in today.

i3T EOS

It has two settings, compared to only one on the Microstream.

There's a low mode, which has a 5-lumen brightness.

It also has a high mode, which has a 180-lumen brightness.

I found the red limited edition model on eBay.

Photo_Sep_29_12_25_25__70204.1601399088.jpg

51StwwK9fSL.jpg

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!