New to the subaru gang (Miami)

Seasian2

Bought a 2013 sti back in january this year. Fell in love as it is my dream car. Ended up blowing a ringland 5 months down the road. Sad life, just picked it up from this performance shop MGW (Machine Gone Wild). Heard good things from them, now I have a rebuilt shortblock and just breaking it in.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Bought a 2013 sti back in january this year. Fell in love as it is my dream car. Ended up blowing a ringland 5 months down the road. Sad life, just picked it up from this performance shop MGW (Machine Gone Wild). Heard good things from them, now I have a rebuilt shortblock and just breaking it in.

Welcome!

Sorry about the ringland, but it happens!

What'd the shop do to it, and what other mods do you have done? Any plans for more?

Lets see some pics!

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Aww damn, did you ever determine the cause of the failure? Anyways, welcome! I know you'll love it here!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to IGOTASTI!!! You're going to absolutely love it here!! Post some pictures of the ride!!

What other cars have you had in the past? How does the STi compare to them? Is there anything you don't like about it? What do you love about it?

What was the cause for the ringland failure? How were you driving when it occurred? How many miles were on the car at that time?

Seasian2

Welcome!

Sorry about the ringland, but it happens!

What'd the shop do to it, and what other mods do you have done? Any plans for more?

Lets see some pics!

I was lucky enough to get the car with an accessport v3, tomei titanium catback, cobb sf intake, grimspeed catted downpipe and some goodridge brake lines.
The shop ended up putting ACL M/R Bearings, Manley H Tuff Rods, Manley 99.5 Platinum Pistons, and arp 2000 head studs. Left the heads alone but replaced all gaskets, replaced timing and water pump as well as my clutch.

This is my daily and do plan on doing autocross with it eventually, just building up the funds for it, especially after this blow lol. I do want to make around 400whp on pump eventually. I don't see a reason for me to go anymore unless I plan to track it.

Aww damn, did you ever determine the cause of the failure? Anyways, welcome! I know you'll love it here!

It was probably just me not knowing how to maintain a turbo car lol, ended up blowing cylinder 4 ringland, probably didnt check the oil and was on a stage 2+ ots tune and was driving very spirited. Learned my lesson.

Welcome to IGOTASTI!!! You're going to absolutely love it here!! Post some pictures of the ride!!

What other cars have you had in the past? How does the STi compare to them? Is there anything you don't like about it? What do you love about it?

What was the cause for the ringland failure? How were you driving when it occurred? How many miles were on the car at that time?

I had a 2003 Civic Si, little 2 door hatchback coupe, my first car that I learned manual on, so this is a big step up. So far I guess the only thing I dont like is fuel economy but didnt care about it going into the Subie life. Love the sound, the handling, the convenience of 4 doors, the practicality, the hot boy points.
i had only put on 6k miles, bought the car with 81k and it blew the ring at 87k.

My old gal
USXuFHk.jpg

hCm8lC0.jpg

New Gal
vSqfDTD.jpg

b3UxLkn.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Harsh start and learning curve to the Subie life! How old are you, if you don't mind me asking? Did you do any research before pulling the trigger on your STi? ISM with those wheels looks phenomenal! I hope you're in love with the car despite the rocky start! If you have any questions, make sure you ask us! We're here to help you out as much as possible! :tup: Get us a picture of the engine bay as well. Do you miss your Civic SI?

Seasian2

Thanks I appreciate it! Honestly I just liked the uniqueness of my civic, even the shifter being on the dash was awesome. If I were to get it again, probably not, I was looking for a hatchback and wanted a 2 door, and if my only option was a Honda I wanted the SI, didn't care too much for the EK model.

I had just turned 23 in late January, when I picked up the Subie. And had two owners prior to me, honestly got a good deal and perfect time because I had the money to pull the trigger.

I do plan on getting new wheels, I really like the look of the OEM BBS ones, but looking at the Enkei Nt03's, I think they're beautiful.

I did do research on the type of car I was looking for, I was between a Mustang GT, G37, and the STI. But the STI had always been the dream. Did a decent amount of research on the nasioc, clubwrx, iwsti, and a bunch of youtube videos. Definitely dont mind the rocky start, just unfortunate to learn the car the hard way.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Thanks I appreciate it! Honestly I just liked the uniqueness of my civic, even the shifter being on the dash was awesome. If I were to get it again, probably not, I was looking for a hatchback and wanted a 2 door, and if my only option was a Honda I wanted the SI, didn't care too much for the EK model.

I had just turned 23 in late January, when I picked up the Subie. And had two owners prior to me, honestly got a good deal and perfect time because I had the money to pull the trigger.

I do plan on getting new wheels, I really like the look of the OEM BBS ones, but looking at the Enkei Nt03's, I think they're beautiful.

I did do research on the type of car I was looking for, I was between a Mustang GT, G37, and the STI. But the STI had always been the dream. Did a decent amount of research on the nasioc, clubwrx, iwsti, and a bunch of youtube videos. Definitely dont mind the rocky start, just unfortunate to learn the car the hard way.

That generation of the Civic SI and it's unique shifter location. :lol: Another car that comes to mind which has that type of setup is the Dodge Caliber SRT-4. I've never personally driven either car to experience that style. Since you learned (in an opposite manner) to drive manual in the Civic SI, did you find it weird to get adjusted to the STi's shifter?

Can't go wrong with Enkei rims, especially the NT03 model! :tup:

Now, that's interesting! RWD, RWD/AWD, and AWD. What did you like or didn't like about the Mustang GT (also which year)? What did you like or didn't like about the G37 (also which model year)? Were you looking at a coupe or sedan; RWD or AWD? I'm also assuming you've only looked for cars with a manual transmission.

What tires do you currently have mounted on your rims? How much tread remaining? How are they for your application down in Florida? When you get your Enkei NT03, what tire will you be choosing to compliment them?

Seasian2

That generation of the Civic SI and it's unique shifter location. :lol: Another car that comes to mind which has that type of setup is the Dodge Caliber SRT-4. I've never personally driven either car to experience that style. Since you learned (in an opposite manner) to drive manual in the Civic SI, did you find it weird to get adjusted to the STi's shifter?

Can't go wrong with Enkei rims, especially the NT03 model! :tup:

Now, that's interesting! RWD, RWD/AWD, and AWD. What did you like or didn't like about the Mustang GT (also which year)? What did you like or didn't like about the G37 (also which model year)? Were you looking at a coupe or sedan; RWD or AWD? I'm also assuming you've only looked for cars with a manual transmission.

What tires do you currently have mounted on your rims? How much tread remaining? How are they for your application down in Florida? When you get your Enkei NT03, what tire will you be choosing to compliment them?

Currently the car is running some bridgestone turanza serenity plus at 245/40/18, they feel comfortable, but I hear summer tires like the Michelin Pilot Super Sport work wonders.

Adjustment to the shifter, no not really, my civic shifter was really loose despite changing bushings, couldve been the cables, oh well.

And yes I looked into a GTI first, liked the responsiveness and the DSG transmission, so considered the auto. But just couldnt leave having the feeling of a manual car.
I liked the luxury look and feel of the G37, but I was not comfortable in it as it felt small inside, with my head touching the roof and all.
The mustang GTwas actually my close 2nd pick. I loved the torque and power from the 5.0, even test drove a modified one, crazy. But I wanted something with four doors as a practicality measure.
Since I had a 2 door already, it was always a pain to carry around friends and slide the seats around. I considered the AWD aswell, there arent a lot of off road terrain to take the car on, from what I know, but I felt like during the times that it rains, which is does a lot here in Miami, that it would give me a confident feel to driving.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
What I meant was, did you have to adjust with shifting from dashboard to the center console? (SI shifting location to the STi shifting location.)

How are the Bridgestone Turanza's performing so far for your application?

Seasian2

Not much of a difference especially since it is the same concept. I do find my reverse lockout in the STI to get stuck sometimes and have to wiggle it to drop back down.
As for the bridgestones, they're comfortable, not super sticky by any means. I did my first dig yesterday and Im pretty sure I lost traction haha.

Seasian2

I actually just got the car tuned last week on Friday, by MGW (Machine Gone Wild)
Amazing guys, with the mods Im running and on pump 93, this is what I was left with, not sure if conservative tune or aggressive. I feel like I could've gotten out more.

Showing a bit of that.

First run of the day:
jVw48Ky
va9JKJx
cL3C2cb
va9JKJx
va9JKJx.jpg

Final run of the day:
QUyja7c.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
300/300 are great numbers! I would personally have a more conservative tune and be able to wring out the car without any issues rather than a more aggressive one where down the line something could break. Enjoy it!

Seasian2

Most definitely, but looking around the forums im seeing some people gaining around 350 tq with more or less the same type of set up, which makes me believe that I have a conversative tune, then again I rather play it safe than sorry

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Most definitely, but looking around the forums im seeing some people gaining around 350 tq with more or less the same type of set up, which makes me believe that I have a conversative tune, then again I rather play it safe than sorry

350 WTQ on a stock setup is not ideal and is pushing the limits. Don't chase numbers and don't obsess over them. Your car is more than adequate in it's current form. Now, all you need to do is get seat time behind the wheel. :tup: You will always be the biggest factor of what your car can do and what it can't do. (To an extent since endless variables come into play.)

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
350 WTQ on a stock setup is not ideal and is pushing the limits. Don't chase numbers and don't obsess over them. Your car is more than adequate in it's current form. Now, all you need to do is get seat time behind the wheel. :tup: You will always be the biggest factor of what your car can do and what it can't do. (To an extent since endless variables come into play.)

350 WTQ on a DYNOJET is not too much. 350 WTQ on a MUSTANG Dyno might be. Looks good dude!

Enjoy that power level in the car's current form. Because while I do love MOAR POWAR! that extra power comes with increased boost lag, decreased throttle response, etc. Sometimes, I miss the low-end grunt you have with the stock turbo. I'm sure you'll upgrade at some point, but enjoy what you have right now.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Yeah, don't chase power for a bit. But maybe think about a few suspension mods!

BINGO.

Swaybars
Endlinks
Uretane Bushings
Swaybar mounts

...for starters.

Seasian2

Thanks for the help! Definitely wanted to look at more suspension mods now rather than power, why have so much when you cant get it down to the floor.

Also been looking into autocross or a beginner track day thats local by me, just so i know what I need to upgrade suspension wise