The last easy day was yesterday

Ok. Bought my mid life car. Yea it had some issues but hey, so do I. A simple job of replacing the dowmpipe gasket turned into five hours of busted knuckles and thrown wrenches. Uh yes the ten mil is missing again.

So two of the turbo studs were stripped and a previous owner cobbled some odd ball nuts to hold the pipe on the flange. I used a really awesome stud extractor to back them out.

Well, after breaking a window with a high speed awesome stud extractor, I decided that I will need to remove the turbo and use my drill press to clean the broken stud pieces out of the flange.

Easy right... on the west coast or someplace that doesnt use salt yes. Shorten this up. Two of the three nuts were a breeze, but that little POS rusted on had to be cut off. Oh I did find that my up pipe has a cat. Nice. Maybe it's time to buy a tuner and a new up pipe. Sooooo pics to follow.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Yikes on the hardship. So the WRX's had catted up pipes from the factory. Only the STi was catless, which is why you see a lot of GD WRX owners always hunting for an STi up pipe. I would suggest you leave the car as it is, especially if it's running fine, but it is your call.

Post some pictures of the process and of the turbo when you get to that point.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I think we all know that feeling.

Me: It should take about an hour
Wife: Ok, just make sure you're done in 2
Me: Oh it definitely wont take that long
....6 hours later....
Me: Don't even talk to me right now

Yes I am leaving it alone until it's time to crack the motor open. Bad news... the impeller blades show wear and nicks... lol 20191029_205913.jpg

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
The good news is that TD04 turbos are relatively cheap these days. I've bought multiple in the past couple years $80-120, so you shouldn't have any problems finding one, two, or three turbos to keep as spares! :tup:

Any pooling of oil in the silicone hoses or TMIC?

I picked up a turbo from vivid racing. It wasnt cheap but it's new. Should have it by monday. So if all goes well back on the road Tuesday. I will let you all know.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
https://www.tomiokaracing.com/products/td05-16g-turbo-for-subaru?_pos=1&_sid=844caedf8&_ss=r

"TR TD05-16G Turbo is the one of the best all-around turbo upgrade for your street car. The turbo characteristic is very similar to factory VF39 Turbo but with an increased spool rate and capacity to handle 330 HP. This makes the TD05-16G a great addition to your engine if you are planning to keep your car daily driver friendly. The turbo comes with all fitting and gaskets, ready to bolt on out of the box."

You bought that?

I'm looking back over your pictures and you didn't show the complete turbo stamp nor mention what turbo it is, so I'm assuming here. Is the turbo you removed from your car a TD04 that WRX's came with from the factory or is it a different one? Did you buy the TD05-16G because it's what you removed from the car or another reason?

WARNING! You WILL need to get a proper tune since -IF- that isn't the same turbo that was removed from your car. DO NOT WOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE AND AVOID HEAVY THROTTLE!

https://www.tomiokaracing.com/products/td05-16g-turbo-for-subaru?_pos=1&_sid=844caedf8&_ss=r

"TR TD05-16G Turbo is the one of the best all-around turbo upgrade for your street car. The turbo characteristic is very similar to factory VF39 Turbo but with an increased spool rate and capacity to handle 330 HP. This makes the TD05-16G a great addition to your engine if you are planning to keep your car daily driver friendly. The turbo comes with all fitting and gaskets, ready to bolt on out of the box."

You bought that?

I'm looking back over your pictures and you didn't show the complete turbo stamp nor mention what turbo it is, so I'm assuming here. Is the turbo you removed from your car a TD04 that WRX's came with from the factory or is it a different one? Did you buy the TD05-16G because it's what you removed from the car or another reason?

WARNING! You WILL need to get a proper tune since -IF- that isn't the same turbo that was removed from your car. DO NOT WOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE AND AVOID HEAVY THROTTLE!

It was cheap and promised a direct bolt in.. yes I will definitely be cautious with the skinny pedal. Oh and they sent gaskets too. The old one was. For all I know, stock. Part # 14412AA360.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
It was cheap and promised a direct bolt in.. yes I will definitely be cautious with the skinny pedal. Oh and they sent gaskets too. The old one was. For all I know, stock. Part # 14412AA360.

"Ready to bolt on..." as in it fit's in a WRX since it's in the stock location. Your old serial number directs to a TD04, which is the stock WRX turbo. YOU NEED A TUNE FOR THIS TURBO!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Bawhaaaa figures... Tube as in Dyno or a static tune using a lap top and a person who sees the world in x and o.

A professional tune either in person on the street via a laptop/RomRaider/Tactrix or Cobb AP (I don't remember if you have one), in person on a dyno (at a shop), or an e-tune over email (using your Cobb AP or laptop/RomRaider/Tactrix to flash the tunes onto the car).

FML...this has gotten way more labor and $$$$ insane. The closer tuner is telling me to upgrade the injectors, fuel pump, requires a Cobb Accessport. Awwwwww....anyone in the market for a beautiful 16g turbo?

Eh.. looks like I will be joining the Cobb Club. Thanks you all for allowing me to vent.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Does anyone know if the factory 2004 STi (side feed) fuel rails, injectors and fuel pump are swappable to [MENTION=7247]MedicMike[/MENTION] 's WRX? Because if so, I miiiiiight be able to help him out. I'd love to do the research and all, but I just don't have the time for it right now and I'm trying to keep my physical expenditures to a minimum. (Long story, my blood pressure is through the roof, almost ended up in the hospital, etc.) But anyway, if you guys can figure it out, I may have a few things I can part with for dirt cheap.

Let me know what you guys figure out...

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I believe the best course of action is to either return the turbo if possible or resell it. Buy a factory TD04 turbo (used from Craigslist or Nasioc. If you don't know how to check for shaft play, you can read online.) since they're really cheap as a replacement. Put the car back together and you have a perfectly running car.

If you go down this road, you're going to be spending a lot of time researching, a lot of money for service and parts, and potentially not have a perfectly running car.

That's just my opinion as you need to do what YOU feel is best. However, based on my knowledge and experience, things NEVER go smoothly (ask @Batmobile_Engage as he'll concur). I'd personally have a running vehicle that I can drive rather than a project sitting. Sell the turbo (break even or profit), buy a TD04, DON'T buy anything else, put the car back together, allow it to relearn the parameters, and you're set to drive and enjoy it.

Perfect! Offer $90 shipped!
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2911203

If still available, offer $80 shipped:
https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2867008&highlight=td04

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
However, based on my knowledge and experience, things NEVER go smoothly (ask @Batmobile_Engage as he'll concur).

No, please don't. Just the reminder bounced my blood pressure back up 10-20 points. :lol:

Update. Putting the turbo back on in 40 degree weather sucks.. the turbo inlet tube was buggered up. The rubber was abused by a previous owner and had holes in it.

Perrin 2.4 inch to the rescue. Oh well in a inch in a mile.

Does anyone know what this vacuum piece is.. brittle parts.. ugh20191109_175255.jpg20191109_175255.jpg

Attachments

• 20191109_175249.jpg
    20191109_175249.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 194
Update. Putting the turbo back on in 40 degree weather sucks.. the turbo inlet tube was buggered up. The rubber was abused by a previous owner and had holes in it.

Perrin 2.4 inch to the rescue. Oh well in a inch in a mile.

Does anyone know what this vacuum piece is.. brittle parts.. ughView attachment 7928View attachment 7928

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
The turbo inlets on the 02-07 WRX and STi are notorious for ripping apart. You'll never have an issue with the Perrin inlet.

I'm not sure what that vacuum piece is. How did it snap?