The last easy day was yesterday

Well it is a 16 yo car that is from the rust belt. So metal, rubber and plastic just ends up being something it was not designed to be.

The plastic part is a purge valve. I broke it as I was attempting to make space to removed the intake hose. Lol... I will have to visit a pick n pay.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
However, based on my knowledge and experience, things NEVER go smoothly (ask @Batmobile_Engage as he'll concur).
No, please don't. Just the reminder bounced my blood pressure back up 10-20 points. :lol:
Well it is a 16 yo car that is from the rust belt. So metal, rubber and plastic just ends up being something it was not designed to be.

The plastic part is a purge valve. I broke it as I was attempting to make space to removed the intake hose. Lol... I will have to visit a pick n pay.

See, shit never works out as planned or intended! It's coming to fruition! :lol:

Iodate... new turbo installed. New exhaust gaskets installed,
Mishimoto intercooler to turbo hose, IC dump vlv hose. Perrin turbo intake hose, and IC to TB connection hose. A bundle of clamps and connectors. Cobb 3 port turbo regulator. It is bypassed at this point until it is tuned.A sweet 50 hp license plate pretty pretty.

Ok, this morning pulled the ign fuse and prelubed the turbo bearings. Reinstalled image fuse. Ran for 2 to 3 sec then dies and a boat load of smoke. The smoke I am hoping is a result of fluid that may have pooled during the replacement of various little hose. After a few attempts to get the sub to idle, I kinda gave up walked away and then went back pulled the MAF connector. Car started, idled and will allow throttle input. Still a bit of smoke... ugh... CEL..codes po102 and 113. Clear the code car dies. Restart runs... lol.. bad maf or???

It goes to Kontras Performance on the 20th to get it tuned. I havnt hung the Cobb AP yet.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Why did you pull the ignition fuse?
What do you mean by "prelubed the turbo bearings?"

You should've left the car with the stock 2 port EBCS and waited to install the Cobb 3 port the day you go get tuned.

Have you tried cleaning the MAF with a MAF cleaning spray? It is possible that it went faulty, but I'd try cleaning it first.

Have you talked to Kontras Performance in advance about your car, modifications, tuning plans and expectations?

I'd highly suggest you have them tune your car conservatively so that it lasts another 20 years. :tup:

Here is the tuning shop for anyone else that is curious: https://www.kontrasperformance.com/

Ign fuse pulled to prevent the car from starting
The new turbo has oil on its bearing but if you cycle the motor on the starter you circulate oil without loading the bearing.

You are correct I should have waited. I thought on that but I thought an OTS tune from Cobb would adjust the solenoid. Thst is not the case
I call Cobb and they are not non Cobb components friendly. Looking back just should have went open source on my tune.

Yes called Kontras in advance and set a preliminary date. Preliminary in that I have to change out the fuel pump and a couple of small thi gas before it goes over to Columbus. If all goes as planned December 20 will be the smiley face day.

Yes tune for endurance. The guy I talked to at Kontras really put me at ease. They dont tune for max output. They will get you as close as they can to the big numbers but they believe in putting something together that will be around for awhile.

Pricing, close to what I expected. They are not Cobb certified yet, but should have their vendors license for Cobb by the 1sr of December .

My ride is back home . The car is awesome. The guys at Kontras Performance did a great job. Long story short.... the car was road tuned. I will be taking it back for an actual dyno tune soon. It seems that the previous owner installed aluminum lug nuts. Not a good move. I spent most of today getting that cleared up. So it is fixed for now. After the up pipe is replaced then dyno time.

But for now. It is making way more power and driveability is great.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Glad to hear the good news and happy that everything seems to be running well! Get us some new pictures when you get a chance. I can't wait to see them also what kind of power your ride makes from the dyno results! :tup:

Well it is done, this portion of the tinkering. After a few more changes, Grimmspeed up pipe, intake filter, dumping the fuel vapor connection on the intake, I have finished. Dyno numbers, 275 hp at the wheels with 240 ft lbs of torque. Cant complain. Thanks for the help you all.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Don't get caught up with numbers. As long as your car and its tune are harmonious, and you keep up with maintenance, you'll be a very happy Subie owner! Congrats on getting everything aligned up and crossing the finish line in regards to modifying and tuning. All you have to do now is enjoy the car! :tup: I hope you drive many, many miles with only a big grin on your face!

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Well it is done, this portion of the tinkering. After a few more changes, Grimmspeed up pipe, intake filter, dumping the fuel vapor connection on the intake, I have finished. Dyno numbers, 275 hp at the wheels with 240 ft lbs of torque. Cant complain. Thanks for the help you all.

That's damn near factory '04 STi numbers. Right off the lot, an STi from that generation typically made 285 whp / 265 wtq. on a Mustang Dyno. So you're doing pretty good!!!

That's damn near factory '04 STi numbers. Right off the lot, an STi from that generation typically made 285 whp / 265 wtq. on a Mustang Dyno. So you're doing pretty good!!!

Really... 275 hp out of a 2 litre... not shabby at all. The driveability is so much better.

On another note, if anyone is running aluminum lug nuts, get rid of em. Costly repair.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
[MENTION=7247]MedicMike[/MENTION] , How's the car been running?!