Thanks Thanks:  9
Likes Likes:  21
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The last easy day was yesterday

1. Top Of Page | #1

User Info Menu

The last easy day was yesterday

Ok. Bought my mid life car. Yea it had some issues but hey, so do I. A simple job of replacing the dowmpipe gasket turned into five hours of busted knuckles and thrown wrenches. Uh yes the ten mil is missing again.

So two of the turbo studs were stripped and a previous owner cobbled some odd ball nuts to hold the pipe on the flange. I used a really awesome stud extractor to back them out.

Well, after breaking a window with a high speed awesome stud extractor, I decided that I will need to remove the turbo and use my drill press to clean the broken stud pieces out of the flange.

Easy right... on the west coast or someplace that doesnt use salt yes. Shorten this up. Two of the three nuts were a breeze, but that little POS rusted on had to be cut off. Oh I did find that my up pipe has a cat. Nice. Maybe it's time to buy a tuner and a new up pipe. Sooooo pics to follow.

2. Likes Batmobile_Engage liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    On a quest of STi erudition! Alin's Avatar

User Info Menu

Re: The last easy day was yesterday

Yikes on the hardship. So the WRX's had catted up pipes from the factory. Only the STi was catless, which is why you see a lot of GD WRX owners always hunting for an STi up pipe. I would suggest you leave the car as it is, especially if it's running fine, but it is your call.

Post some pictures of the process and of the turbo when you get to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmobile_Engage View Post
    It doesn't have to have a nut on the outside. Many are short, but I often try to find long ones that sometimes have a bend in them.
    I don't need another reason to dig through 4 layers of clothes to whip the sea monster out in 0 degree weather.

4. Likes Batmobile_Engage liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3

User Info Menu

I think we all know that feeling.

Me: It should take about an hour
    Wife: Ok, just make sure you're done in 2
    Me: Oh it definitely wont take that long
    ....6 hours later....
    Me: Don't even talk to me right now

Check out my journal here (Sold)
    My non-subaru journal here!

6. Likes Batmobile_Engage liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4

User Info Menu

Yes I am leaving it alone until it's time to crack the motor open. Bad news... the impeller blades show wear and nicks... lol Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191029_205913.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	196.3 KB 
ID:	7917

8. Likes Batmobile_Engage liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5

User Info Menu

The good news is that TD04 turbos are relatively cheap these days. I've bought multiple in the past couple years $80-120, so you shouldn't have any problems finding one, two, or three turbos to keep as spares!

Any pooling of oil in the silicone hoses or TMIC?

It doesn't have to have a nut on the outside. Many are short, but I often try to find long ones that sometimes have a bend in them.
    I don't need another reason to dig through 4 layers of clothes to whip the sea monster out in 0 degree weather.

10. Likes Batmobile_Engage liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6

User Info Menu

No oil and the intercooler looks clean.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191029_121417.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	178.9 KB 
ID:	7918Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191029_121421.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	162.3 KB 
ID:	7919

12. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
    Likes Alin liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7

User Info Menu

I picked up a turbo from vivid racing. It wasnt cheap but it's new. Should have it by monday. So if all goes well back on the road Tuesday. I will let you all know.

14. Thanks Alin, Eagleye thanked for this post
    Likes Alin, Eagleye liked this post
  15. Top Of Page | #8

User Info Menu

Santa stopped by...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191105_165028.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	7923Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191105_165028.jpg 
Size:	128.2 KB 
ID:	7923Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191105_164932.jpg 
Size:	110.2 KB 
ID:	7924

16. Thanks Alin thanked for this post
    Likes Alin liked this post
  17. Top Of Page | #9

User Info Menu

https://www.tomiokaracing.com/produc...44caedf8&_ss=r

"TR TD05-16G Turbo is the one of the best all-around turbo upgrade for your street car. The turbo characteristic is very similar to factory VF39 Turbo but with an increased spool rate and capacity to handle 330 HP. This makes the TD05-16G a great addition to your engine if you are planning to keep your car daily driver friendly. The turbo comes with all fitting and gaskets, ready to bolt on out of the box."

You bought that?

I'm looking back over your pictures and you didn't show the complete turbo stamp nor mention what turbo it is, so I'm assuming here. Is the turbo you removed from your car a TD04 that WRX's came with from the factory or is it a different one? Did you buy the TD05-16G because it's what you removed from the car or another reason?

WARNING! You WILL need to get a proper tune since -IF- that isn't the same turbo that was removed from your car. DO NOT WOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE AND AVOID HEAVY THROTTLE!

18. Top Of Page | #10

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alin View Post
    https://www.tomiokaracing.com/produc...44caedf8&_ss=r

"TR TD05-16G Turbo is the one of the best all-around turbo upgrade for your street car. The turbo characteristic is very similar to factory VF39 Turbo but with an increased spool rate and capacity to handle 330 HP. This makes the TD05-16G a great addition to your engine if you are planning to keep your car daily driver friendly. The turbo comes with all fitting and gaskets, ready to bolt on out of the box."

You bought that?

I'm looking back over your pictures and you didn't show the complete turbo stamp nor mention what turbo it is, so I'm assuming here. Is the turbo you removed from your car a TD04 that WRX's came with from the factory or is it a different one? Did you buy the TD05-16G because it's what you removed from the car or another reason?

WARNING! You WILL need to get a proper tune since -IF- that isn't the same turbo that was removed from your car. DO NOT WOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCE AND AVOID HEAVY THROTTLE!
    It was cheap and promised a direct bolt in.. yes I will definitely be cautious with the skinny pedal. Oh and they sent gaskets too. The old one was. For all I know, stock. Part # 14412AA360.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast