New here not new to Subaru

U_butthurt_sti

Hi all. I?m Tommy. I live in Virginia and I have a 2004 sti. I?ve owned it for years but never really got on any forums. But now I?m starting to need some help with it. I?ve been doing a full motor build. It?s the first motor I have built myself so I?ve been going at it kinda blind except with the help of the oem service manual. I will make a thread on what all I?ve done to it. But a little about myself. I?ve been welding since high school. I got a job at a local shipyard and did 8.5 years there and I left as a nuclear pipe welder. So now I work at a government contractor as a welding instructor. You name it. I can weld it. Very few materials I haven?t welded. Like titanium. But hopefully that?ll change come this new year when I finally buy a welding machine. If anyone has any questions or welding questions feel free to ask I?m always happy to spread some knowledge and help people out. Oh I don?t know how much I?ll be on here in the coming weeks. On November 15th I?m getting married and headed off to the honeymoon in Jamaica. But till then. Hopefully I?ll be on here frequently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to IGOTASTI!!! You're going to absolutely love it here!! Post some pictures of the ride!!

What other cars have you had in the past? How does the STi compare to them? Is there anything you don't like about it? What do you love about it?

How many miles does your car have? Why did you decide to build the engine? what modifications, if any, did you have prior to starting the engine build?

Show us some pictures of things you've welded! Do you also weld for your own car (like an exhaust)?

U_butthurt_sti

That?s the only sports car I?ve had. I?ve had a Buell Xb lightning sports bike. I currently drive a 2017 f150 with a 6? suspension lift, 37? tires, and a raptor grill and my wife has a 2018 forester. Previous to those were a ranger and a Buick Regal was my first car. And the only thing I welded for the car so far is when I was port and polishing the heads on the sti. I accidentally ground through the casting. So I had to weld that back up. I don?t have too many pictures of it cause it?s been down so long and someone hacked my instagram account. So I?ve lost most of the pictures sadly. But here?s a build list

ENGINE:
Oem case halves
Eagle rods
Cp pistons
ACL race bearings
ARP head studs
Oem oil pump
2008 sti crank
Bc 272 cams
Tomei adjustable exhaust cam gears
Bc valvetrain
Custom port and polished heads
FP Red turbo with a decent bit of work done to it
Custom intercooler
Mishimoto radiator
Mishimoto oil cooler
2008 forester n/a manifold (shaved)
TURBOXS turbo back exhaust with a gutted cat
The rotating assembly has all been balanced and blueprinted
If I think of anything else I?ll edit it

SUSPENSION:
Vogtland coilovers
27 mm front and rear white line sway bars
White line sway bar mounts
Kartboy end links (I want whiteline spherical links)
Whiteline rear lateral links

WHEELS/HUBS
18x9.5 Rota grids
I replaced all the wheel studs with arp extended studs

BRAKES
DBA brake rotors all the way around
Stop tech pads, ss lines, and fluid
(Perrin I believe) master cylinder brace

FUEL
DW350( I think) fuel pump
DW 100cc injectors

BODY
Seibon cf WRC style hood
Cf wingless trunk
I plasti dipped the car olive drab (military green)

ITEMS STILL NEEDED
Adjustable fpr
Fluidamper harmonic balancer
Gates accessory belts

I also have a Group N limited slip rear diff that I don?t know if I?ll install that yet

So I?ve been building this motor for about 5 years now. Life got in the way and I haven?t been able to work on it as much as I?ve wanted. But it?s coming along slowly. But it?s my baby and I?m sure you can see (mostly) no costs spared.

U_butthurt_sti

Here are all the pics I have of it
b4137d449cdae92975bd239033181285.jpg
61c121d16316776a28930c1197cab82f.jpg
9750a25eef9692d5b9203e6471dbaff3.jpg
75df4dcaa84dff8416f8fb6e81dc1671.jpg
8c846ffa619fd62aaf2481f594dffb19.jpg
18648fa409f191075d1bc787d6e38845.jpg
91534504551a17937fafbfdc598fadf9.jpg
bc9ae298224549e4bd76749c49cdd487.jpg
602a8a6e051d86142a851e2b1a95e282.jpg
ff1150d46f961b9515ef952f7b573a3c.jpg
93bd48786196cc95577693fc99d2d804.jpg
8fa294a87eb7eef6dbd0f75f6961a3ef.jpg
0dcfeb46a0e52e0f89ad5745c5427763.jpg
5d47786079cac4f7bb2e0d95696a5efd.jpg
aed5a6b6fc869e3c983a152a475a6a32.jpg
7ad31f4f59cf2c97f6f04e8f12ec6563.jpg
015306d214104809c416338f368bcbcb.jpg

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Welcome!

When you say VA, I'm guessing the VA Beach-to-Newport News area? I'm up in DC!

I hope those injectors are 1000, not 100!

Also, consider for your build:
Oil pickup
Exhaust "stuff" (headers, up pipe, wastegate options, and turbo-back)

What's your plan for tuning?

Oh, and whats your plan for the car once it's done. Street, mostly? Drag monster? Track days? Car shows? That might affect the build list. Like an oil baffle if you're going to be doing track days.

Anyways, tell us more!

U_butthurt_sti

Haha yeah 1000cc!! Alright not too far from me then. Newport News.

And I want to do a little bit of everything with it. A good all around car.

I forgot to add a moroso oil pick up to the list

But I do have equal length header that I got ceramic coated and it has a matching up pipe to go with it. I got the hot side of the turbo ceramic coated. And I also plan on ceramic coating the Dow pipe when I get the motor in and I?ve got an exhaust cut out I was gonna weld to the downpipe.

And for tuning I?m not exactly sure. I?ve been talking to a guy that I?ve been buying most of my parts through. And he also tunes. He owns his own shop up in Maryland area. But I haven?t spoken to him in years. A guy named Donnie Oaker. He owns 301 boosted (if memory serves correctly)

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I?ve been welding since high school. I got a job at a local shipyard and did 8.5 years there and I left as a nuclear pipe welder. So now I work at a government contractor as a welding instructor. You name it. I can weld it. Very few materials I haven?t welded. Like titanium. But hopefully that?ll change come this new year when I finally buy a welding machine.

^^^ This ^^^ is going to be so damn valuable in your build endeavors, I can't even begin to describe it. Good on you dude!

Oh, and congrats on the upcoming wedding!

Btw, were you in the Navy at all, or just working at the shipyard?
Anyways...WELCOME!

U_butthurt_sti

Thanks man!! I?m pretty excited for it.

But no I was never in the navy. Just shipyard experience working for the navy building silent weapons of war. So that?s how I give back to the country. Doing the best job I possibly can on those boats to make sure these guys come back safely.

And yeah. I?ve welded so much and worked so much ot that I didn?t want to weld outside of work. But now that I?m teaching I don?t weld as much as I used to so miss the time for me to get my own stuff.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Doing the best job I possibly can on those boats to make sure these guys come back safely.

I'm not on active duty anymore, but I can tell you from personal experience that we all truly appreciate the hard work and craftsmanship that goes into building out mobile homes/weapons platforms (of which they are both, for months on end. :lol: )

I was in the surface fleet and my ships were built at Bath Iron Works and General Dynamics Pascagoula, but the sentiment is the same. Keep up the good work :tup:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I *technically* know how to weld. In the loosest sense of the word. But the number of times i wished I could cut a few pieces of steel/aluminum for a random bracket for car mods is...well, at least 10. Underwhelming, i know. But true. I'm a causal modder, and 10 is pretty much every time I've done anything not by-the-book. You should definitely take some liberties with your mods since you have the skill to fab things that need to be fabbed.