New to forum, not new to STI (Track car)

Mulletsnax

Hey guys, so Im not new to the Subaru world. ive had 3 2005 STI's. I currently have a crosstrek, a brz and i guess im about to buy a built motor 2010 STI hatch from a buddy. Its my first hatch and im going to convert it over to a time attack car so im here trying to gather all the information on this chassis i can. big aero, cooling, and How they handle etc. Companies that make specific parts for the hatch and hopefully meet a few guys who are already competing in TA with their hatch. I do have an 05 with a spun bearing at home currently and i know i could track it easier but im excited to finally switch to a another chassis and build and learn.

Thanks for any future help!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to IGOTASTI!!! You're going to absolutely love it here!! Wow, please post pictures of all of the cars!!!

What other cars have you had in the past that weren't Subaru branded?

Which model year and trim of the BRZ do you have? Is it stock or modified? How is the BRZ in comparison to an STi? A 2013 Limited DGM BRZ is going to be the next vehicle I own!

Which car is currently your go to daily driver? You should start up a member's journal and include information on all the cars! :tup:

Mulletsnax

ive had
2002 mustang GT
1993 Mitsu 3000gt vr4
1999 dodge dakota
05 STI
03 350z drift car (built motor, single turbo)
05 STi
03 viper
07 C6 vette H/C/I and nitrous
08 335i

"currently at my house"
05 STI,
07 Honda s2000
2016 Brz premium
2014 Subaru Crosstrek
2013 Chevy Silverado quad cab
2006 Acura TSX
2010 STI "soon"

the brz is slow and i just dont enjoy it compared to other cars ive owned. The whole plan was for it to be the time attack car. but id rather not swap the engine/or build the FA20 to be a competitive level. so probably will end up getting rid of it.

The daily is either the Crosstrek or the silverado. depending on what plans i have after work

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Wow! That's a hell of a list of previous and current cars! This just might become a really long post full of interrogation! :rofl: To say you're a car enthusiast would be a severe understatement!

-How old are you if you don't mind me asking?
-What is your occupation if you don't mind me asking?
-What part of the USA are you located in? (I'm assuming you're in the USA based on the cars.)
-What other hobbies do you have aside from cars?
-Why did you get rid of the Corvette and the Viper?
-Why did you choose to have a total of three different 2005 STi's over the other GD model years?
-How tall are you and how do you fit in the S2000 and the BRZ?
-Did you choose to get a manual or automatic transmission in the Crosstrek? (I imagine you chose manual, but I can't neglect the possibility that sometimes even a manual transmission driver wants an automatic.)
-Only one German car, huh? Any particular reasons why you've stuck with mainly American and Japanese cars?
-For what the BRZ is as a package out of the factory, do you agree with the statement that it's a true (affordable) driver's car?
-Why did you go with an S2000 and BRZ over a Miata?
-Which cars were the highest maintenance that cost you the most?
-Which cars were the lowest maintenance that cost you the least?
-Were/Are any of your trucks diesel?

I hope you don't mind getting asked all these questions. I just find your choice in vehicles interesting! :tup:

I completely understand the sentiment towards your BRZ. (In my application, I've learned over the years that I heavily prefer hard turns over power, and the fact that I've only ever had FWD and AWD cars, and these are the reasons why I decided on a BRZ as my next car.)

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE if you can, post pictures of your cars!!!! :bow:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Wow. Just wow.

I think the aero of the Hatch is going to be your biggest hurdle out of the gate, since mechanically it's so similar to the proven platforms. I think the GD chassis was roughly .32 ish and the 08 was roughly .36. Would want to double check my sources on that though. And I'd be pretty sure that the 08 has larger frontal area too...so you're losing out in both columns. AND the .32 of the GD was with the bigass wing, and the .36 is without that extra downforce the wing would provide.

So, bottom line, you're going to have more drag and less downforce, but some cash can help overcome those obstacles! I'd look for a rally wing replica/knock off from a reputable aero company. If it's a ebay special, i'm not sure it'll actually provide downforce. Something like this, maybe (I haven't done my research on the hatch specifically, just a google search) https://www.lmperformance.com/87209...ber-rally-wing-subaru-sti-hatchback-only.html

That'll make your drag problem even worse. So now you're gonna need POWAH. That's not my area of expertise, but...how much power are you thinking? Are you going to stick to pump gas? Race gas? Ethanol or methanol? How reliable do you want the engine to be? Lets hear some more goals and budget to start chiming in!