Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  9
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: The Golf Shop

  1. Top Of Page | #1
    Tinkerer Eagleye's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    The Golf Shop

    I fully understand this thread may be limited to me as many people find golf to be pointless, boring, etc.

    With that out of the way, I wanted to create a thread for anyone else that is interested in talking about golf. I got into about 10 years ago and wish I had started earlier. I love most aspects of it: watching, playing, club design and building, fitting, etc. I'm into it enough to have a net in the basement with simulator software so I can play anytime. With my latest investment I now have access to software that allows me to design my own courses and play courses that others have designed. This lets me enjoy golf and design together which is great. Some people smarter than me even created a tool to allow you to download elevation LIDAR data from national databases to map the terrain on your course. It is pretty impressive how accurate it replicates. I've been working on a local course that I know well and it is an excellent representation.

    Anyway, I'll probably just post now and again with updates on my setup (with pictures) and what next projects could include. Anyone can feel free to ask questions, talk about their golf interest, or point and laugh if that's your thing haha. I'll give more details as I think of what all to share or if anyone asks questions.

    15 GBP STi

  2. Thanks Batmobile_Engage, Alin thanked for this post
    Likes Batmobile_Engage, Alin liked this post
  3. Top Of Page | #2
    Eats rice, drinks V8. Batmobile_Engage's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: The Golf Shop

    Dude that sounds awesome! I'm sure things are starting to come down in price, but last time I looked, that kind of equipment for a good quality golf simulator was incredibly expensive. For example, I've seen nice setups people have in their basements (that don't LOOK to be super expensive) that have been about $35,000.

    Anyways, I have played golf since I was probably 6-7 years old. Was the #2 golfer on my High School team in my sophomore year and our #1 as a junior and senior. At that time, I could pretty reliably shoot an 80. If I went out there right now I'd probably shoot a 95, because I am waaaaay out of practice. My personal best was a 78 and that was while I was playing as often as 4 times per week. Since moving to Michigan in 2012, I've probably played 7-8 times. Sad, I know... I just don't have very many friends that play and most of the ones that do are not even close to serious. I don't need to be a super serious stiff out there, but these guys are drunken clowns and I'm actually trying to shoot a decent score.

    Thus, I hardly play these days...

    Quote Originally Posted by IGOTASTi View Post
    I will put the last drop of oil on Earth in my turbocharged machine and smile amongst the carcinogenic fumes as I burn T-Rex’s family tree just so I can pass you, sideways in the middle of a blizzard.
    Member Journal: https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php?5453-The-Batmobile_Engage-Member-Journal

  4. Thanks Alin, Eagleye thanked for this post
    Likes Alin, Eagleye liked this post
  5. Top Of Page | #3
    Tinkerer Eagleye's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: The Golf Shop

    Yeah I find it hard to find good golfing buddies. Either they are messing with the carts or drinking too much. I mainly go with the “old guys” because they take it more serious yet still have fun.

    my setup was roughly $2500 for launch monitor, sim software, and net. I already had the mat and computer to run the program.

    i wish my ceilings were higher though. I’m fine but my dad and anyone taller than me or with a very upright swing will have trouble.

    15 GBP STi

  6. Likes Batmobile_Engage liked this post
  7. Top Of Page | #4
    Track Monkey Grinder34's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: The Golf Shop

    Man, you're slowly digitizing your life. First cycling, now golf. You'll never see sunlight again!!


    I don't play golf, but my grandparents did quite a bit. My grandfather even got a patent on a putter design. I have one and the original literature laying around somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it up. But a single google search resulted in one on ebay:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tonny-Putte...-/352626972750


    Check out my journal here (Sold)
    My non-subaru journal here!

  8. Likes Batmobile_Engage liked this post
  9. Top Of Page | #5
    Tinkerer Eagleye's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: The Golf Shop

    Quote Originally Posted by Grinder34 View Post
    Man, you're slowly digitizing your life. First cycling, now golf. You'll never see sunlight again!!


    I don't play golf, but my grandparents did quite a bit. My grandfather even got a patent on a putter design. I have one and the original literature laying around somewhere, I'll see if I can dig it up. But a single google search resulted in one on ebay:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tonny-Putte...-/352626972750
    Haha yeah, it is more about convenience and saving time than anything. I can play a round of sim golf in an hour in the basement vs. 3-4 hrs depending on how busy a course is. And I save drive time.

    I designed a putter a few years back and sent in 2 copies to the USGA for approval. They approved the prototype which was pretty cool. I never really went anywhere with it, it was a good learning experience in design and milling since I milled it up myself on one of our manual Bridgeport mills. I made 3 of them total. 1 is actually shafted for my son to use.

    15 GBP STi

  10. Likes Batmobile_Engage liked this post
  11. Top Of Page | #6
    Track Monkey Grinder34's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: The Golf Shop

    Quote Originally Posted by Eagleye View Post
    Haha yeah, it is more about convenience and saving time than anything. I can play a round of sim golf in an hour in the basement vs. 3-4 hrs depending on how busy a course is. And I save drive time.

    I designed a putter a few years back and sent in 2 copies to the USGA for approval. They approved the prototype which was pretty cool. I never really went anywhere with it, it was a good learning experience in design and milling since I milled it up myself on one of our manual Bridgeport mills. I made 3 of them total. 1 is actually shafted for my son to use.
    Was there any cool science behind your design? If so, I'd love to hear it!

    My grandfather's design incorporated some curvature to account for push/pull on the swing. Seems cool to me, but I'm not a golfer. Also, it didn't make him rich so clearly it wasn't considered that cool by everyone else either!


    Check out my journal here (Sold)
    My non-subaru journal here!

  12. Likes Batmobile_Engage liked this post
  13. Top Of Page | #7
    Tinkerer Eagleye's Avatar

    User Info Menu

    Re: The Golf Shop

    Quote Originally Posted by Grinder34 View Post
    Was there any cool science behind your design? If so, I'd love to hear it!

    My grandfather's design incorporated some curvature to account for push/pull on the swing. Seems cool to me, but I'm not a golfer. Also, it didn't make him rich so clearly it wasn't considered that cool by everyone else either!
    I took into account turf interaction with a sloping design, tried to keep the MOI high with more weight at the heel and toe, and modeled it with influence from the stealth bomber design. I learned a lot through the process and would defintly do some things differently the next time. I am looking at creating a multi-piece/multi-material design for the next one. The first one was milled from a single block of QC-10 aircraft grade aluminum.

    15 GBP STi

  14. Likes Batmobile_Engage liked this post

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •