New to the forum need help

Trendon

Hey everyone,

my name is Trendon and I?m looking at buying my first ever STI well Subaru for that matter and I really don?t want to mess this up as an STI has been my dream car since 04. I would really appreciate any advice you all can offer me.

Thanks in advance

Welcome to the forum first and foremost. Second what year Subaru are you looking to build? Have any pictures? That being said best advise I can give you, is first get seat time and start looking at the members builds on here. Some people build for 1/4 mins some build for full on race car and some for being a weekend warrior in the canyons. Every build is different and everyone?s tastes is different. So find what direction you want to take it and there will be plenty of positive ideas and opinions shared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trendon

Thank you that was very helpful!! And to answer your questions I?m thinking about a 15-17. And no I don?t have pictures.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Welcome!

You'll get a LOT of answers and opinions, but lets start out to learn a bit more about you for more tailored advice:
1) What's your car background/history?
2) What's your comfort level under the hood?
3) What's your goal for the car? (Daily, auto-x, drag, rally, show car, garage queen, stanced, track monster, drift, etc....)
4) What's your budget?
5) What country and/or part of the country?

I think there are some other questions (and advice), but I'll wait for the first round of follow-ups!

Trendon

Well to start I?m from Utah pretty close to the motor sports race track. I?ve been working on cars since 14 with finishing my first complete big block build by 15 so I?m pretty comfortable under the hood. As far as build type I was thinking daily/ Track monster.

Trendon

Also I?m married with 2 children and working on a 3rd I?m planning on taking my time one this build over the next 5-6 years.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Well to start I?m from Utah pretty close to the motor sports race track. I?ve been working on cars since 14 with finishing my first complete big block build by 15 so I?m pretty comfortable under the hood. As far as build type I was thinking daily/ Track monster.

Also I?m married with 2 children and working on a 3rd I?m planning on taking my time one this build over the next 5-6 years.

But if you're comfortable with cars, theres less risk in the purchase of a used STI!...especially if you plan on building the engine, as you'll easily be able to notice/fix any internal issues.

The big thing with these cars is that people mod the crap out of them without knowing WTF they're doing, and end up causing damage. To compound that, people will often return them to stock or near-stock form when they want to sell--and you end up getting a car with an unknown history. Obviously unknown history is the deal with many used cars, but due to the level of mods that many get, its more pronounced here. So lets get into it, shall we!?

A daily/track monster is a bit of a paradox! And you say 5-6 years for a build. You could pretty much get any STI at that rate, totally build out the engine, and not really worry about its history so much. But I don't think that's what you're looking to do. Keep an eye on Bring A Trailer, as STIs get posted there every now and then, but usually a bit older IIRC. And if you're not afraid of the mods, I would look in the classifieds on NASIOC and IWSTI as you can often browse someone's post history and see what sort of person they are and the way they treated the car. Personally I'd stay away from dealership trade-ins UNLESS it's a Subaru dealership since they'll be much better at spotting the issues and knowing if the car had been modded or not.

Then there's the build. For a true track monster you're going to want a big turbo you can keep in spool at high RPMs. Unfortunately, for street driving you wont be able to get any boost without driving like a hooligan, so it'll feel really sluggish. It's pretty much opposite design philosophies! So you'll have to think about your sweet spot for power to balance driveability and track prowess.

Have you tracked cars before? I'd love to hear more about your experience!

Ok, that's all for now, gotta get back to work!

Trendon

Very helpful thank you. I have never in my life been on a track except for drag racing that I do very well but also that?s the only racing I?ve ever done I wanna do more.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
First and foremost, welcome to IGOTASTI!!!! You're going to absolutely love it here!!!

Looks like most things have been covered. What car(s) do you currently have? What other cars have you had in the past? If you can, please post pictures of them! (We LOVE pictures! :D )

Why do you specifically want a 2015-2017 model year over 2018+? I only ask because there is certain information that you may not be aware of regarding other models. I'm mainly alluding to the newer ones, though. The first thing that came to my mind is trying to determine if you're avoiding the 6 pot brakes on the 2018+ models. Even if you are, though, I seriously think that right now the best bang for the buck is either a 2019 or 2020 model year. I believe this because the 2019+ base STi models received the 2018 Type RA's engine and transmission, which has improved internals! If I were dead set on an STi over any other car right now, it'd be a used 2019 STi for this reason. While, I don't personally agree with decision Subaru made on the 2018+ model years to revise brakes to 6 piston calipers and increase the rim size to a 19", I believe the engine and transmission trump over the calipers. Also, it has been confirmed that there are many 18" rims that clear the 6 pot brakes. We also have threads on the matters:

https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/th...-of-the-Changes-Over-the-Years-(2004-Present)
https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/th...-of-the-Changes-Over-the-Years-(2004-Present)
https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/th...Rims-Their-Advantages-and-Their-Disadvantages

Also, I heavily suggest you look over the FAQ's we have written over the years as they provide a lot of knowledge.

https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/th...-s-Please-Read-This-Before-You-Harm-Your-Car!

Trendon

That is definitely useful knowledge thank you so much for that I?ll definitely be doing some reading. As far as 15-17 it?s just in my budget. And previous cars current is an 05 equinox LT AWD, before that was an 05 neon, and before that was a sonic LT Turbocharged. I unfortunately don?t take pictures of my cars cause I have yet to find one I?m proud of.