Towing??

Pat-GB

So, not entirely sure where to put this. I am looking at building/buying a small teardrop trailer, roughly 1,200-1,500# and a hitch weight around 150. Anyone have any experience towing with an STI? I know I'll need a trans cooler. Anything else? Will this void a warranty? Do I need to upgrade springs?

I know the US doesn't rate them to tow, but Europe does and this is well within specs.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Off the top of my head, that doesn't sound too crazy. That said, what kind of terrain do you expect to be towing on? i.e. I've seen people tow small boats with an Outback, but that was in the Florida Keys where the trip is verrrry short distances and there is no elevation change at all whatsoever. In that case, you'd probably be okay, but if you are going up and down hills and whatnot, I'd be more concerned. I don't think you'd necessarily NEED a transmission oil cooler, but I think you'd eat your clutch up faster, which is probably obvious... :unsure:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I'd personally do some thorough research and seek out other people who have done so themselves on other forums before actually attempting to tow with my own car. That being said, I would never tow with my car. :lol:

You should look through your owner's manual and check what it says regarding towing. I'd imagine that towing would be on your own accord and it would void the warranty if the USA doesn't recommend towing with an STi.

Even if Europe does the rate the STi for towing, I'd imagine that EDM spec cars aren't 100% exactly the same as the USDM models.

What do you plan on towing in the small trailer with your STi, though?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Yeah absolutely check the manual. I do remember there being something in there about towing, although I can't remember what.

Pat-GB

The manual pretty much says not rated to tow, but just having a hitch mount they can't prove I've been towing. Not sure how they can void the warranty especially when it could be for a bike rack for all they know. I'd definitely get a trans cooler and take it easy if I ever went over hilly areas and stay away from steep mountain passes.