93 vs 94 octane?

Bellzy

Not sure about the USA but in Ontario Canada we have 91,93, and 94 octane. I know 93 is the recommended for my car but Is there a benefit on using 94? Thanks guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
From what I recall (without going back and doing some reading) the octane numbers on the pump in many other parts of the world ---Europe, Australia, etc.--- are not necessarily equal to ours in the States. Whether this applies to Canada or not, I am not sure. But I seem to remember that you have to read the fine print on effective octane amounts per liter or something. Here, we have stickers on our pumps that say what governing body verifies such things. I would look for those or check with your government's transportation department website for any information on that.

If you are asking for the purposes of determining safety of your fuel octane rating of choice and a commercial off-the-shelf tuning map you can download from Cobb for example, it would probably be best to contact the company issuing the tuning map. I say this not only for the purposes of determining effective octane, but also because you might have a certain quantity of ethanol in your gasoline that is not typical here.

Ultimately, if you are planning to visit a pro-tuner and have a custom dyno tune performed, it's best to choose the highest octane that you regularly have available. If it so happens that you can find 94 octane everywhere at a decent price, then by all means, make sure you have a full tank of pure 94 octane before you visit your tuner for a dyno session.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Great article on Octane formula calculation and the specific nature of gasoline sold in Canada.

https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20171117/fuel-octane-numbers-explained/

[Excerpt] ..."As an apocryphal aside, high-end VW tuner HPA has noticed that their roughly 500 hp turbocharged builds seem to do much better on US-grade 91 octane than on Canadian-spec 94. Perhaps it?s the blending process, but the US fuel seems to be less prone to knock, allowing for timing to be advanced and more power made.
That?s not the only regional difference. Gasoline companies will tweak their blends all across the country, depending on the temperature, terrain, and season. I?m reasonably sure gasoline in Nova Scotia isn?t cod-flavoured, but it will be of differing chemical composition than that sold in Calgary..."

I hope I answered your question. Let me know if there's anything else I can try to help with or clarify. :subaru:

Last edited:

Bellzy

Great article on Octane formula calculation and the specific nature of gasoline sold in Canada.

https://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20171117/fuel-octane-numbers-explained/

[Excerpt] ..."As an apocryphal aside, high-end VW tuner HPA has noticed that their roughly 500 hp turbocharged builds seem to do much better on US-grade 91 octane than on Canadian-spec 94. Perhaps it?s the blending process, but the US fuel seems to be less prone to knock, allowing for timing to be advanced and more power made.
That?s not the only regional difference. Gasoline companies will tweak their blends all across the country, depending on the temperature, terrain, and season. I?m reasonably sure gasoline in Nova Scotia isn?t cod-flavoured, but it will be of differing chemical composition than that sold in Calgary..."

I hope I answered your question. Let me know if there's anything else I can try to help with or clarify. :subaru:

Well based on that article, I?m just gonna stick to 94.

The price difference isn?t huge between 93-94 and I usually go to Petro Canada.

Which has 87-89-91-94.

So 94 it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk