Whining noise

Bellzy

2013 sti with 100,000 km on it. Hear what I can describe as a whining noise at idle. When warmed up. Any thoughts? Kind of sounds like air going somewhere as well. Ignore me moving the phone, that?s my coat. If I give it some gas, it gets a bit louder but dissipates after that. Maybe a pulley or belt?

https://vimeo.com/394306727

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Is that a whining noise or a grinding noise?

Bellzy

Is that a whining noise or a grinding noise?

I mean I thought whining. I don?t know what would be grinding. I wasn?t in gear or anything. It makes the same noise if I?m in neutral or gear

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
If you get a chance tomorrow, record again from the engine bay. In the meantime, hopefully someone else may have some insight for you.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I've listened to the video a couple times but can't seem to make out what you are hearing. That said... Does the noise change at all when you work the steering wheel back and forth? One weak point on a lot of STIs is the seals inside the power steering pump. Case in point, mine are on their way out at only 70,000 miles, thus necessitating an o-ring and seal replacement at the very least. Anyways, it can sometimes cause a whining noise. I had a power steering pump go out on my old Ford Ranger back in the day and it sounded like I had a supercharger under the hood. It was ridiculous.

The noise would vary with engine speed, since the pump is obviously run via an engine belt. And of course, as you worked the wheel back and forth the noise would vary as well.

I'm not sure what your issue is since I can't hear it. Frankly, it'd be difficult to identify even if I could hear it. But anytime someone says "a whine', my mind always goes to power steering.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Bellzy

I've listened to the video a couple times but can't seem to make out what you are hearing. That said... Does the noise change at all when you work the steering wheel back and forth? One weak point on a lot of STIs is the seals inside the power steering pump. Case in point, mine are on their way out at only 70,000 miles, thus necessitating an o-ring and seal replacement at the very least. Anyways, it can sometimes cause a whining noise. I had a power steering pump go out on my old Ford Ranger back in the day and it sounded like I had a supercharger under the hood. It was ridiculous.

The noise would vary with engine speed, since the pump is obviously run via an engine belt. And of course, as you worked the wheel back and forth the noise would vary as well.

I'm not sure what your issue is since I can't hear it. Frankly, it'd be difficult to identify even if I could hear it. But anytime someone says "a whine', my mind always goes to power steering.

Took it to the shop. I was just paranoid. It was just the alternator doing it?s thing. All is good.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
:tup: Good. I'm glad there's nothing wrong.