Old guy with STI

ScubaJim

Just Picked up my STI the other day. Best non practical decision I have ever made. I smile every time I sit in it. What everyone's opinion on the wing? I can take it or leave it probably will stay on. i like that it does have A function over 70 mph plus from what I have read.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Just Picked up my STI the other day. Best non practical decision I have ever made. I smile every time I sit in it. What everyone's opinion on the wing? I can take it or leave it probably will stay on. i like that it does have A function over 70 mph plus from what I have read.

What year did you get! Color? New/used? Mods?

As for the wing, I think it looks badass on someone else's car. On my car, I like the understated/stealth look, so I swapped for a plain trunk. Well, a carbon fiber trunk, but in true-to-form stealth mode, had it painted body color so nobody could tell.

What other car(s) are you coming from? Will the STI be your daily driver?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
The wing is definitely functional and you WILL notice if you remove it. Not that it's a bad thing, I have mine removed, also for stealth reasons. But the rear end definitely gets floaty without it. You can tune out some of that with suspension mods, but that's a whole 'nother story. :lol:

Anyways, welcome to the community! I'm sure you will like it here. There's a ton of good information and lots of helpful people to point you in the right direction. Don't be afraid to ask questions, even if they seem simple. We are not like some of the other forums where you might get shit on for "being a noob". This is most friendly and civil forum I've ever seen. Once again, welcome! :subaru:

Last edited:

ScubaJim

I Got it new 2020( 13 miles on it ) in Magnetite Gray Metallic (the new color) don't plan on Mods while under warranty. I'm in NC due to military from FL I decided the wing will stay after reading some of the comments on this site. I am surprised that its 50/50 on this topic. First STI only other fast car was 1995 Impala SS V8 Lt1. But this is the 6th Subaru we have had in the family last one cross trek I drove for 6 yrs.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Oh nice! You're in the Army, I'm assuming? There are a few of us around here. I was in the Navy 2004-2012. :tup:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Welcome to IGOTASTI!!! You're going to absolutely love it here!! Post some pictures of the ride!!

Congrats on the brand new car! Just so you know, the 2019+ STi's have the engine internals and transmission that the 2018 Type RA received, so it's an added bonus!

I recommend you leave the car stock and rack up as much seat time behind the wheel that you can get! If you do end up changing anything in the short term, it should just be tires. :tup: It's in your best interest to learn how the car behaves in the time being, and while you have the warranty, you're in the best position available regarding reliability and free repairs, should any issues arise.