Oh great. Another new guy.....

My name is Lance. I have a 2020 Subaru STI. I just have a few support mods on at the moment. A CSF radiator, AWE Track Edition cat back exhaust and a Grimmspeed down pipe and of course an Accessport. In a couple of weeks, I'll be upgrading the entire fuel system and adding a flex fuel kit. After, I plan on starting a separate EJ engine build. That way, if something goes wrong with the engine, I can swap it out for my stock EJ and fix the build. I'm not a fan of cosmetic mods if there are little to no mechanical mods. I'd feel uncomfortable if my car looked fast but could barely move out of its own way, or get smoked from a slightly modded VW R or Civic Type R. I realize that I'll get some flack, some sort of poke, prodding and hazing for being a noob. That's how it is.

Attachments

• C76633E4-C7C1-4B2A-8605-332273559F14.jpg
    C76633E4-C7C1-4B2A-8605-332273559F14.jpg
    25.4 KB · Views: 94
  • E43692BA-94DA-4CF8-8235-E2E83F67EEAA.jpg
    E43692BA-94DA-4CF8-8235-E2E83F67EEAA.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 96

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
First and foremost, welcome to IGOTASTI!! You're going to absolutely love it here!!

What made you decide to get a 2020 STi? Were there any other cars you were taking into consideration?

What other cars have you had in the past? How does the STi compare to them? Is there anything you don't like about it? What do you love about it?

You won't get flamed or harassed on this forum as we're not like the rest. I encourage you to ask any and all questions you may have in order to avoid mistakes. It is in your best interest to learn through OTHERS' mistakes and we're here to help as much as we can. Everyone is on their own journey and at different stages of that journey.
[MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION] is going to ask you what your goals are with the car, whether you have attended any autocross or track days, and insist that you do not forget about suspension mods! :lol: :tup:

Before I bought the STI, I had a 2015 WRX. I was going to build it to ridiculous measures. I was going to swap out the FA20 with a Forester FB25 engine that I bought online. I was going to rebuild that engine and build the WRX at the same time. I later realized that building an STI would be more efficient and cheaper in the long run. Besides. I missed the UEL rumble sound and I never owned an STI before. When I was around 20 years old I had a 2000 WRX bugeye. Midnight Blue. My friend Chuck had a white GC. I loved his car more than mine. HA! I was going to get a Dodge Charger Scat, but I felt that the STI is more versatile. What do I love about the STI? I like the DCCD system. I also like the fact that I really don't have to touch the brake system too much, besides getting stainless steel lines and more aggressive brake pads. I do wish the suspension was more aggressive and responsive. I will be replacing the entire suspension and replacing the stock coilovers with Ohlin coilovers.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? What do you do for a living?

What other hobbies do you have?!

I can respond more in depth when I get home tonight.

I'm a bartender on the strip in Las Vegas. Well, I was until the pandemic. Las Vegas won't be the same for another year I'm afraid. I just turned 42 on midnight this morning.
My hobbies besides my car are still car related. I watch a slew of YouTube videos on things like, what other people have modded on their WRX or STI. What their top 5 or 10 mods they would consider first. Most of their "mods" I see are cosmetic. From mud flaps to headlights to alternator guards to shift knobs. Some have quality builds. But the majority are owners whom are afraid of voiding warranty. So, their builds are so so. I also enjoy watching; Mighty Car Mods, Engineering Explained, Chris Fix, Subi-Performance, Hoonigan AutoFocus, Hoonigan Daily Transmission, Hoonigan Project Car, Donut, Drew Peacock (sometimes), Doug Demuro (but I think he's a little weird) and Fitment Industries. I Like FI's Driver to Driver segments and when they rate their subscriber's cars. Other things I watch are Twitch streamers like; Excessive Profanity, Maximillian Dood, Lobos Jr., HappyHob, Kibler, MoonMoon. I play video games too. But I mostly play RPG games. I'm not a fan of FPS games. Most of the people who play FPS have spent a lot of money buying the best equipment. So it's a troll fest now. FPS are not fun anymore.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Happy birthday! Dude, you're the coolest 42 year old ever going by that post! :lol: :tup:

Have you lived anywhere else prior? How does Vegas compare?
How are you fairing now with the current circumstances?

Also, what are some anime shows you love, aside from One Punch Man?

I'm at work, so I can't respond thoroughly.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
You definitely came to the right place. This is the most helpful, drama free forum I've ever seen. We've squashed asshattery so completely that we hardly have to moderate conduct anymore. It's wonderful. Everyone is more than happy to help, so don't be afraid to ask questions. Anyways... WELCOME!!!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

That's good to know. I used to be on the Flat 4 Forums and they're definitely asshats. I got hazed a lot. Normally I can take name calling. Bullies are bullies. But if you're in a community, shouldn't you treat your people better? That's what I was thinking at least. Their car meets are awful and their car shows are worse. I kind of wanted to start some kind of Subaru community myself and give high tier subscribers things like banners, wrist bands, lanyards, stickers. Things that would want people to join the community. I also wanted to do extravagant car shows and car meets and drives. I wanted to make something better than what Flat 4 had to offer. But, I'm not sure how to go about doing that.
I really don't work on my car because I'm not a mechanic nor do I have the room, even if i wanted to attempt something. I have my own mechanic who knows Subarus like the back of his hand. So, whenever I have questions on what I should do next for my build, I go see him. He's never let me down yet. However, if I need a second opinion, I'll make a thread in the proper subject. I'm glad to have joined this community too. Everyone does seem pretty awesome.

:lol: :lol: Thanks. I think?? I used to live in Maine. But I hated the winters, so I moved to Las Vegas in 2010. I've been here for ten years now. I really wanted to live in San Diego, but I found out how expensive California is. Plus their emissions laws are ridiculous. If I wanted to go to California, it's only about four hours. I have a tuner in California. His name is Shawn Church. Churchautotesting.com is his website. His tunes are conservative and he knows what he's doing. The tuners in Vegas are a joke. I'd like to get into tuning myself, so I can Subaru's. But, I don't have the kind of money it takes to open a shop. I'm not even sure what a great tuning education to get either. I don't want to do E tuning. They're not as reliable as dyno tuning. I'm not even sure that I'm even intelligent enough to understand tuning. The pandemic is collapsing society. Vegas won't be the same it used to be for another year, two years max. It's creepy to see the strip look like a ghost town.

My Anime recommendations are; Initial D, One Punch Man, My Hero Academia, Parasyte, Soul Eater, Akira, Claymore, The Goblin Slayer, Demon Slayer, Cowboy Bebop, Batman Ninja, Deathnote, Mob Psycho 100, Radiant, Code Geass, Sword Art Online, Tokyo Ghoul, GANTZ, Garo Vanishing Line, Level E, Attack On Titan, Black Clover, Dragonball Z and the Black Butler.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Yes, that's a compliment! :lol: I speak only for myself, but I know we're going to get along extremely well! :bow:

Alright, now that I'm home and situated, let's get interrogating! err, I mean typing! :lol:

First, I recommend you start a member's journal for your car!
Second, if you have any pictures of your previous cars, could you post them?
Third, how would you compare the 2015 WRX to the 2020 STi?
Fourth, are you married and do you have any kids?
Fifth, what are the three most recent games that you have played?
Sixth, what consoles do you have?
Seventh, If you have a computer, you should post some pictures of the rig and list the specifications in the gaming thread!
Eighth, how would you compare Maine to Nevada? How are the roads in Nevada? Have you visited all over the state? Do you get monsoons like AZ?
Ninth, what took you so long to join this forum?!?! :lol: This is literally the only forum I'm on now because no other compares to it. :ty: @IGOTASTi for creating it!
Tenth, what does your username mean or stand for?

Cars, gaming, anime... Dude, the life! I'm literally smiling typing this out because it pretty much gives me insight and a glimpse into my future!

Do you have any regrets up to this point in your life?

Alright sounds good! Let's begin.
1st: How do I set up a car journal and what's its purpose?
2nd: No. I don't have any pictures of my 2015 WRX. I feel weird taking pictures of my car. Especially when there's people around staring at me.
3rd: The WRX is a nice daily driver, but I feel that it's slow. It's also stupid expensive if you're looking to make it over 500whp. I also feel that the STI is slow, but the transmission is a lot more responsive and just better in general. The EJ can handle more power than the FA, if you're smart about it. In the long run, I feel that the STI is a tool belt and the WRX is a fanny pack.
4th: I've never been married and I don't have children. I hate kids and marriage is over rated. I'm talking to a girl online from Pensacola, Florida though. It's a start I suppose.
5th: Final Fantasy 7 Remake, DOOM Eternal, Death Stranding, Blasphemous and Bloodborne. (Bloodborne is my favorite game). A very underrated game is Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. I love that game too. Yeah, that's more than 3. But I have a lot of great games.
6th: I have a PS3 and a PS4 Pro. I may get the PS5. However, if XBox has better games, I may go with them. I'm not biased. I just know what I like. It depends on the games each console decides to make exclusive or release.
7th: I don't have a gaming system. Just an old MacBook Pro laptop. I'm not against PC's either. They're just ridiculously expensive to build if you want the absolute best gaming experience. $3K+ PC vs. $500 console.
8th: Maine is a beautiful state to visit, just not a great place to live. Life in Maine is very quiet. There are more acres of trees than people. I think there's like approximately 1.3 million people in the entire state and there are millions more acres of forest. Nevada has a lot of nice trails to hike. It really doesn't snow in Vegas. I've been here for 10 years and it snowed twice and there have been a total accumulation of around 3". In Maine, it snows feets per season. And winters are the longest season in Maine. From November to mid April. So cars rust and are unreliable over time. I was never into skiing or doing any outdoorsy stuff anyways. It gets really hot in Vegas. But it's not as humid as Maine. So even 100+ degrees feels better than 90 degrees with 60%-70% humidity in Maine. But summers are pretty nice in Maine for the most part. Except for mosquitoes and black flies. They're little fucking vampires. I prefer to be in Vegas. There is a lot more to do. I drove from Maine to Vegas in my WRX. (I forgot to mention that I've had a 2005 WRX) With one suitcase in the backseat. I saw most of the country. The midwest is such a boring drive. Colorado was my favorite drive. Colorado is gorgeous. It reminds me a lot like home. But I had vapor lock there. My car wasn't tuned for their high altitude. I stopped just outside Denver in a small town called Eagle. I stayed in a log cabin Inn. It looked like a ski resort. It was nice. My car was fine the next morning. It took me 9 hours from Eagle CO., to Las Vegas.
9th: I didn't know this forum existed. I found it accidentally when looking for parts for Darkseid, my car.

Do I have any regrets? No.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I'll respond thoroughly when I get home. You missed the tenth point, though!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I just skimmed cuz I'm working, but on a boring meeting.

Welcome! No hazing/teasing here!

But i'm definitely interested in your long term goals/vision for the car. You mentioned Ohlins. IIRC those are GREAT. But maybe overkill? But that depends on what you're trying to do. Soooo, what do you want to do? Is this a drag car? Drift? Auto-x? Rally? Show? Grocery getter? Stoplight-to-stoplight-smoke-that-guy-in-a-Ferrari? Show car?

You menitoned visual mods. Nothing wrong with those if you wanna win some car shows! You can be slow AF and win a car show with a fully tucked/shaved engine bay, 45-degree camber, widebody kit, and .25" ground clearance, and a wing off of a 747. That's not MY thing, but I get it.

My first mod on pretty much any car I've ever had has been wheels. I think you posted about that in another thread...so good on ya. Second (related) mod: tires.

Ok this is turning into a bunch of unrelated thoughts. To improve performance you can add power, "add" handling, and/or remove weight. You gotta figure out how much performance you get per $$ and per annoyance. To me annoyance can be increased maintenance, NVH, or less utility on a daily basis (if driven daily).

Anyways, welcome!!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
@Grinder34 is going to ask you what your goals are with the car, whether you have attended any autocross or track days, and insist that you do not forget about suspension mods! :lol: :tup:

And yes. If you've never done an auto-x or track day you owe it to yourself. Even if you've done one in the past, you reaaaaallly outta do it in every car to learn its limits and have a shit-eating grin while doing so.

My ultimate goal for the car? Just to make it stupid fast. I know what'll cost. I have a R&D team. I can't give away all of my secrets. Winning car shows doesn't interest me. Neither does taking it to auto cross. Or racing in any form. Maybe just keeping it in storage would be best. Who knows, nobody cares.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
My ultimate goal for the car? Just to make it stupid fast. I know what'll cost. I have a R&D team. I can't give away all of my secrets. Winning car shows doesn't interest me. Neither does taking it to auto cross. Or racing in any form. Maybe just keeping it in storage would be best. Who knows, nobody cares.

Lol well winning car shows doesn't interest me either. But stupid fast... From where to where? You don't have to answer that of course, but just something to keep in mind.

But autox...damn. I've only ever signed up for either novice or unlimited class cuz I don't care about winning, but care about having a ton of fun. Don't knock it till ya tried it.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Alright sounds good! Let's begin.
1st: How do I set up a car journal and what's its purpose?
2nd: No. I don't have any pictures of my 2015 WRX. I feel weird taking pictures of my car. Especially when there's people around staring at me.
3rd: The WRX is a nice daily driver, but I feel that it's slow. It's also stupid expensive if you're looking to make it over 500whp. I also feel that the STI is slow, but the transmission is a lot more responsive and just better in general. The EJ can handle more power than the FA, if you're smart about it. In the long run, I feel that the STI is a tool belt and the WRX is a fanny pack.
4th: I've never been married and I don't have children. I hate kids and marriage is over rated. I'm talking to a girl online from Pensacola, Florida though. It's a start I suppose.
5th: Final Fantasy 7 Remake, DOOM Eternal, Death Stranding, Blasphemous and Bloodborne. (Bloodborne is my favorite game). A very underrated game is Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice. I love that game too. Yeah, that's more than 3. But I have a lot of great games.
6th: I have a PS3 and a PS4 Pro. I may get the PS5. However, if XBox has better games, I may go with them. I'm not biased. I just know what I like. It depends on the games each console decides to make exclusive or release.
7th: I don't have a gaming system. Just an old MacBook Pro laptop. I'm not against PC's either. They're just ridiculously expensive to build if you want the absolute best gaming experience. $3K+ PC vs. $500 console.
8th: Maine is a beautiful state to visit, just not a great place to live. Life in Maine is very quiet. There are more acres of trees than people. I think there's like approximately 1.3 million people in the entire state and there are millions more acres of forest. Nevada has a lot of nice trails to hike. It really doesn't snow in Vegas. I've been here for 10 years and it snowed twice and there have been a total accumulation of around 3". In Maine, it snows feets per season. And winters are the longest season in Maine. From November to mid April. So cars rust and are unreliable over time. I was never into skiing or doing any outdoorsy stuff anyways. It gets really hot in Vegas. But it's not as humid as Maine. So even 100+ degrees feels better than 90 degrees with 60%-70% humidity in Maine. But summers are pretty nice in Maine for the most part. Except for mosquitoes and black flies. They're little fucking vampires. I prefer to be in Vegas. There is a lot more to do. I drove from Maine to Vegas in my WRX. (I forgot to mention that I've had a 2005 WRX) With one suitcase in the backseat. I saw most of the country. The midwest is such a boring drive. Colorado was my favorite drive. Colorado is gorgeous. It reminds me a lot like home. But I had vapor lock there. My car wasn't tuned for their high altitude. I stopped just outside Denver in a small town called Eagle. I stayed in a log cabin Inn. It looked like a ski resort. It was nice. My car was fine the next morning. It took me 9 hours from Eagle CO., to Las Vegas.
9th: I didn't know this forum existed. I found it accidentally when looking for parts for Darkseid, my car.

Do I have any regrets? No.

A member's journal is in essence a thread for your car. It's about the journey and what you do over time to the car. Browse through some others' to gauge an idea. You can create one here: https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/forums/23-Member-s-Journal

Man, you're living the life! It sounds like you do what you want to do, when you want to do it, and how you want to do it! Very few people can say that! :tup:

Tell me about Death Stranding! I had a PS4 last year solely for Days Gone and Death Stranding. I played Days Gone for a total of 81 hours, completed it 100% (only game I have ever achieved a Platinum trophy for), and loved every minute of it! I intended and really wanted to get Death Stranding, but I ended up selling the PS4 before it came out. Without giving spoilers, can you please give me a brief summary of what you thought of the game? Also, did you 100% it and how long did you play for?

What other crazy experiences have you had?! Have you ridden, or do you currently ride, motorcycles? Are there any other forms of vehicles that you can operate, such as boats or planes?

Do you have any other cars aside from your STi at the moment?

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Welcome, sounds like you have some serious plans. Should be fun to see/hear about the progress.

How do you like FFVII? I played the demo and loved the original as a kid. I sunk so many hours into that game.

The PC I built can run any game (that is cross platform) I have for ps4 with better looking graphics and it cost $1,200 plus a $150 monitor. You don?t need to drop $3k to get something awesome. Mine was built for 4k video editing so it?s dual purpose. I don?t think I would build one solely for gaming, I get and agree with your point on the price difference.