Hi from NC !

Hi,

Newbie here, quick introduction Ex Prodrive /SWRT Chief mechanic and customer support engineer 2000 -2010, I own a 2020 WRX STi with a stage 2 Cobb tune. Been in the USA since 2016

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Woah!!!!!! Welcome, welcome, welcome to IGOTASTI!!!!! We're honored to have someone of your caliber here!! Post some pictures of your current ride!!!

You must have had a million cars in the past!! Tell us everything!!! :fuji:

Where to begin?? I will ask you a bunch of thorough questions tonight when I get home. In the meantime, how does the USA compare to the UK? Which country do you prefer?

IMG_4331.jpg

I prefer here, UK is turning into a crap hole, so I married my american wife back in 2016 after meeting here while working for a rallycross time and now going through my citizenship test

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Belated congrats on your new life here! I'll assault you with questions later, so prepare yourself!!! :lol:

Why did it take you so long to join us?!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I hope you've prepared yourself!

1) If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?
2) Tell us about your experience being with Prodrive!
3) Why did you choose a VA over a GC, GD, GR, or GV? I imagine you have an insane amount of experience and knowledge with essentially the entire ensemble STi family! So, why VA?
4) What do you believe the "sweet spot" is, so to speak, regarding WHP/WTQ for a daily/street car?
5) Aside from tuning, what physical aspect do you believe is most under looked when it comes to the STi platform?
6) What would you suggest the "best bang for the buck" type of modifications are to a bone stock WRX or STi?
7) Have you attended pretty much all types of events during your "Subaru career?"
8) At what point in time did you have the most fun? What were you doing?
9) Have you traveled around the entire world?
10) What type of tires do you run on your daily driver STi?
11) What is the biggest difference in the USA compared to the UK, in regards to everyday life?
12) Have you traveled across the entire country of USA?
13) Why did you choose North Carolina of all 50 states?
14) What do you currently do for a living?
15) Do you partake in any other motor activities, such as motorcycling, flying, boating, etc.?
16) What was the most difficult aspect to learn regarding the STi platform?
17) What're your future plans for your 2020 STi?
18) Do you currently have any other vehicles?
19) What vehicles have you had in the past? (I imagine a million.) Do you have any pictures of them? (The UK received some sick variants that the USA didn't.)
20) Is your wife also into the car culture and/or Motorsports?

Bonus questions: Are you satisfied with the path you've taken in life? Do you have any regrets?

I hope you've prepared yourself!

1) If you don't mind me asking, how old are you?
2) Tell us about your experience being with Prodrive!
3) Why did you choose a VA over a GC, GD, GR, or GV? I imagine you have an insane amount of experience and knowledge with essentially the entire ensemble STi family! So, why VA?
4) What do you believe the "sweet spot" is, so to speak, regarding WHP/WTQ for a daily/street car?
5) Aside from tuning, what physical aspect do you believe is most under looked when it comes to the STi platform?
6) What would you suggest the "best bang for the buck" type of modifications are to a bone stock WRX or STi?
7) Have you attended pretty much all types of events during your "Subaru career?"
8) At what point in time did you have the most fun? What were you doing?
9) Have you traveled around the entire world?
10) What type of tires do you run on your daily driver STi?
11) What is the biggest difference in the USA compared to the UK, in regards to everyday life?
12) Have you traveled across the entire country of USA?
13) Why did you choose North Carolina of all 50 states?
14) What do you currently do for a living?
15) Do you partake in any other motor activities, such as motorcycling, flying, boating, etc.?
16) What was the most difficult aspect to learn regarding the STi platform?
17) What're your future plans for your 2020 STi?
18) Do you currently have any other vehicles?
19) What vehicles have you had in the past? (I imagine a million.) Do you have any pictures of them? (The UK received some sick variants that the USA didn't.)
20) Is your wife also into the car culture and/or Motorsports?

Bonus questions: Are you satisfied with the path you've taken in life? Do you have any regrets?

1. 53
2. Best job I ever had, great place to work at the time when I was there 220 employees ALL heading for the same goal " TO WIN " unbelievable team spirit
3. I wanted to see if the latest car lived up to its old school predecessors and it does in MHO, I have the base model which for me is the best one to buy, its just rare no bells and whistles to worry about plus its lighter than the limited
4. I would go with the Cobb stage 2, which I have on mine I will update when I have it a dyno but I believe is around 305whp and 365 wtq, plus your car still looks stock
5. Are we talking the latest models or the whole range from GC ?. Personally, being very biased I believe STi have always had the driving experience in mind when building their cars, keep it simple and usable on the comforts but make the mechanical's the best they can be for the driving experience
6. Tires ! if you dont have the traction ans topping right all that power and suspension upgrades mean squat ! remember its the only thing that attaches you to the road
7. Yes pretty much
8-9. All my years at PD were fun didn't matter were in the world I was having a great team of guys and girls with you made it that way. Don't get me wrong it was extremely hard work ! these F1 guys have no idea of the hard work its dirty smelly extreme temps from 50C + to minus 45c I would go back to it tomorrow if I lived in the UK still
10. Yokohama Advan
11. Biggest differences are the feeling of more space, UK feels cramped all the time, and there is no serious rallying here this would be such a great country for it ! I have seen it I did the Rally America championship 2006 and 2007 the special stages are fabulous
12. Yes I have, during my Rally America days and being involved with the Global rallycross championship
13. I met my wife while working out of Mooresville NC during my rallycross days
14. Currently I am recovering from a broken back which I sustained in a pit stop accident at the Daytona 24hr race, but when I recover I'm thinking about opening a workshop and supporting classic race cars at the track and in the shop
15. I use to ride a motorcycle, but know I'm happy cruising lake Wylie with my family on our pontoon boat
16. To be honest I look at all mechanical things the same, they are all nuts and bolts and all a jigsaw so be methodical when you do things
17. I am done with my plans at the moment, Cobb Stage 2 is fitted and i'm enjoying that at the moment when I recover 100% from my back injury I'll probably take it to the track to get a real shakedown on it and then work out what need adjustment, but not to spend a fortune on it there is a limit were you can keep spending and you get know benefits which I feel is a little crazy. Remember unless your building a full blown race car you dont need all the bells and whistles to have fun on a track day
18. Yes My wife has an Ascent, my mother in law has a crosstrek and my son in law has a crosstrek, I'm on my 6th Subaru now
19. To be honest I never owed a Subaru in the UK only built race and rally car and then engineered them on events for customers etc. I bought my 1st one when I lived in Australia in 2011 a forester and then I had a second Forester an XT this time and then I moved here in 2015
20. Yes she was brought up on racing by here Grand Pa mainly NASCAR but that's OK :D

I am truly satisfied and have been truly blessed to have this path I've walked and would not change it ever !

PHEW !!!! Now that was like being interviewed for a green card !!!! :lol::lol::rallydriver:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
You bring a wealth of knowledge to this forum, so please know that we are grateful that you have signed up! :bow: I'll respond more in depth when I get home.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Firstly, thank you for answering! Oh, man! How is your back recovery coming along so far?

I also just thought of another question. What advice would you give someone in their 20's, or even your 20 year old self, now with all of the experience you've had in retrospect?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Just seeing this now.

Welcome and holy crap your job is the type I'd kill for! We're gonna need lots of old 'war stories' and anecdotes!

Firstly, thank you for answering! Oh, man! How is your back recovery coming along so far?

I also just thought of another question. What advice would you give someone in their 20's, or even your 20 year old self, now with all of the experience you've had in retrospect?

Thanks for asking, I?m recovering slowly but I don?t think I will be able to do what I used to in the past so maybe I will open a business LOL

Advice mmmm ! Firstly be prepared for a LOT of hard work, never say no to a task listen to your elders and ask a lot of questions, there are no stupid questions and have fun being a team player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk