Should i get an STI or a WRX

shamsmehra90

[FONT=&quot]Hi,
I know I may get a bit of a biased response posting here, but I'm considering buying a 2004 stock STI. My dad is convinced getting this as a daily is a big mistake.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]For reference, I'm a college student who's general schedule consists of driving a mile to campus and back, and to the gym once a day. Then a few miles to work every few days. And 50-60 miles every couple weekends to go to the lake or home and back.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Is the STI going to be a good choice as a daily or should I consider dropping to a WRX. What are the pros if I should go to WRX? Open to other suggestions as well.[/FONT]

Pat-GB

Re: SUbaru WRX/STI Driving school

So, First. Post this in the Noob or General questions as a post, not a reply to a post. Second, with it being a stock '04 STI, what condition is it in? Has it been driven "nicely" or buy people that hammered on it? and how many miles?
Second, it's a sports car. So if stuff breaks, it's not cheap so be prepared to spend some $$. I think the tires I put on mine were $800 ish. just to give you an idea.
Third, Are you/has the car been up north? Look for rust or corrosion if it has. If you are keeping it up north, be prepared to get a set of winter tires/rims.

Last, It's a blast to drive!! I just got a new 2019 last fall and I love it. I'm also 40 and have disposable income :) Not trying to discourage you in anyway, but with cars come expenses. Especially turbo cars that require premium. Premium ain't $.99 anymore.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I took the liberty of moving this to its own thread!

As pat said, it's history can change a lot. First, a "stock" 04 is very likely to have been modified and put back to stock later. What mods did it have...who knows. How was it driven...who knows.

No car, outside of an EV, really likes 1-2 mile drives. Nothing gets up to temp. The more performance the car has, the more this applies (IMO). So you're not doing the car any favors with your short commute. But as for WRX vs STI in this case--it's equally as good/bas for both so kind of a draw. Obviously the biggest difference is just performance. More grip, more power. Is it too much for you? Well, we don't know.

Whats your driving history? How reckless do you tend to be? Are you willing to spend some $$$ to do a track day/autocross/etc... (or two or 10) to really learn how to drive the car?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
I'm not sure I would call it a mistake, but it may not be the most wise financial decision at this stage. How much longer do you have left in college? I'd probably recommend getting yourself a reliable econo-box and saving up for the car you really want. The guys have made some great points already, and I don't want to completely rehash what they said, but chances are that the car has been heavily molested over the last 17 years. Not only that, but you can probably find a model year that is a little better...and I say this as the owner of a 2004 STi. (See "differences in model years" sticky thread.)

Can you tell us more about the car in question?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Last edited: