Ecu timing on a built motor

Trosz

Good day any and all advice and input is welcome: my son bought an 04 STI with a built motor, 10:1 compression, bored likely 30thousandth over, eagle connecting rods, C.P. pistons, AMR top mount intercooler, AMR big turbo, snow performance water/meth injection, 850cc Deautschworks injectors, warlboro fuel pump, likely some head work done as well, custom fab oil catch can, custom piping intake tube and filter. And likely more i am missing.
The issue is the car leans out real bad when Boost is being made, it has a turboxs piggyback ecu, my question is, should he keep the ecu set up the same and find a shop that can tune this set up, or disconnect and go all Cobb? Tuner shop in our city, feels more comfortable using the Cobb accessport set up and maps, will they be able to support these mods? And is my son better off with what he has or should he look at Cobb more seriously, I run a Cobb in my 04 STI as well but don?t have as built an engine as he does, let me know what you all think
So lean/knock is the issue, can?t really push the car or the error code is thrown any advice is appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Stiman05

So he bought a built engine buy some one else. Bring it to your local tuner shop. Have them go through it. Find out what you really have. Then tune base off what you have going on

Trosz

Opinion on the turboxs piggyback system or going the Cobb route and eliminating the other? Let me know thx

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
@Trosz

This is the problem that I had when I purchased my car! Although your son's car is built, and therefore a slightly different scenario than mine was, the culprit is the TurboXS piggyback ECU. It's ancient technology and has been rendered useless now. What I would suggest is to get rid of it completely, and either go the Cobb AP route, or the RomRaider Open Source route. Either one will work, honestly. The key here is to find a competent tuner that will tune your son's car with the modified parts and harmonize the car. If the tuner shop suggests Cobb, then there's the answer.

Ensure your tuner understands what you guys want, and that he will tune for the components that you have! I would also suggest the tuner creates a map that is safer with less power, and reliability at the utmost importance.

Before you even get the car tuned, I would recommend you swap out all fluids with fresh ones, and also take care of any other maintenance aspects such as the timing belt, leaks, etc. I don't know how many miles are on the car, but you should look over it and ensure it's in top shape before stressing it with tuning. :tup:

While [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] and [MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION] may not be active, I think [MENTION=692]Eagleye[/MENTION] [MENTION=2822]Doppelganger[/MENTION] [MENTION=1868]Boogieman98[/MENTION] [MENTION=5388]Raven32[/MENTION] [MENTION=5193]War_Panda04[/MENTION] might have some insight as well.

Trosz

Thanks for the input about the piggyback, the local shop insists on Cobb, so he may go that route.
The motors has 7k since the build, i looked her over well, no leaks I can see, minimal oil usage, etc, very well maintained car overall. I will get some engine pics and post up over the weekend or if I see him sometime this week. Keep up the good work all, this site has the best admins and advice

I would most definitely go with the Cobb set up and if your tuner knows his stuff you will be good in no time.

Trosz

Good news for my son, the shop knows the motor once they seen it, know the builder and can access the build specs, so he lucked out there. He bought the Cobb and they are building a map for him from the specs they access, so thx all for the info and feedback, have a great weekend all.

Trosz

e00fd55dcd05e902d769e8c2aa3a888d.jpg

Trosz

A few pics of the built motor and the pieces on it, tuning coming shortly