Looking to get back into the game

SirMyztiq

Hello!I have an ancient account as yall can tell! I had three 2005 STis in my day. I was young, dumb and apparently with good credit back about 10+ years ago! I love that year car, I knew it very well. However, things happened and I ended up taking a hiatus. Fast forward to now, and I'm ready to get back into it. I've been driving a 2005 Subaru Baja Turbo to tie me over. I've been debating dropping money on the Baja or getting another STi. And while I love my Baja, I can't get away from the STi.Now that you have heard my life story, to the good stuff. Although I would LOVE to get into another 2005 STi. It feels a little old now, they're hard to find and the ones I've found have 180K+ on them. Let's not talk about the generations with the squinty eyes :D So 2015+ seems to fit what I like.

I haven't dove deep into the differences but I imagine I'm in for a shock when I'm going from experience in an 05 for so long to a 2015+I'm considering these:

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...Code1=SUB&modelCode1=SUBWRX&clickType=listing

^^That one is super low milage. Adult owner that did some work on it but it looks like quality work from COBB parts(stage three...THERE ARE MORE THAN 3 stages now!) The price is kind of high though and I could probably dip into the low 30Ks like this guy:
https://www.mcdavidhondafrisco.com/...rt+Worth-46c71aea0a0e0a6b4d1330bd118cb421.htm

The other car that FEELS like a good deal is this one:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for...Code1=SUB&modelCode1=SUBWRX&clickType=listing

Mileage is high, obvious customizations done and the "parts list" is extremely vague. But it just feels like a good deal. I'm waiting to hear back from the dealer for any more information in terms of parts list, receipts, tunes etc.So, I've been hovering around that price range and those years. I like the Limited models bc I have a good idea of all the options it comes with and I like creature comforts nowadays. There are other base versions but they hover around the same price sometimes.Anything below 25K I can probably pay most of it up front, depending if they want to throw any financing deal at me and I can keep my new car fund big for upgrades. However, if I buy that 28K Limited one up top, it already comes with a good base to build from(or even just to leave it alone)I have also very much considered buying one brand new how I want it.I work from home and don't drive very often so I was leaning towards getting it leased if I wanted a new model. However, the thought of having a car payment again plus I don't know what they're policy is on leased vehicles and mods.So, with all that said I was turning towards the community for some guidance for an old soul looking to get back into it. Is there any specific year for 2015+ that is considered the "best". I'm a little weary of 2015 since its the first year with a new platform but Subaru likes to start raw with their new platforms like 2004, so maybe it's the best year? What do yall think? Are my hunches good? Should I just buy it brand new? It's easy to think "well if im spending 30K, might as well spend 15K more for a brand new one"

There is also this one that seems like a strangely good deal: https://my.dealersocket.com/NewEbro...edById=a1XVkaPGjhk=&RemoteSiteId=sg vrpBDWBw=

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
First of all, welcome back!
Second, post pictures of the previous, and the current, rides!
Third, I can't respond in full right now.

If you want new, aim for 2019+ because they received the 2018's Type RA engine and transmission! I have some sticky threads with the differences in engines and transmissions.

I don't think you can lease a new STi, only WRX. That's what I recall from memory, but things could've changed.

I'll respond more in depth tonight if no one else has by then.

SirMyztiq

First of all, welcome back!
Second, post pictures of the previous, and the current, rides!
Third, I can't respond in full right now.

If you want new, aim for 2019+ because they received the 2018's Type RA engine and transmission! I have some sticky threads with the differences in engines and transmissions.

I don't think you can lease a new STi, only WRX. That's what I recall from memory, but things could've changed.

I'll respond more in depth tonight if no one else has by then.

I'll dig up some old pictures of all my babies for sure!

Thanks for the reply and the note about the engine change. I remember reading something about that but I couldn't find anything. I did find a 2018 Type RA going for 40K though LOL

Is that engine bump worth diving into the mid-30Ks as opposed to buying that 2015 with low miles at cobb stage 3? I look forward to hearing back from you!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Can't wait to see pictures!

Unfortunately, I can't answer that question. You have to do your own research and based on your findings, you'd have to determine what the best route to take is. Read the 2018+ engine information:
https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/th...-of-the-Changes-Over-the-Years-(2004-Present)

I advise that you don't chase numbers with modifications. Look at how much power the 2018 Type RA (2019+ base STi) engine makes in bone stock form. I think this is imperative. The reinforced pistons should also alleviate any concerns for longevity.

The 2018 Type RA (2019+ base STi) also received a revised transmission, where third gear is shorter and there is also a short throw shifter.

What I would do is research prices for used 2019 STi's and determine if the investment is worth it. Regardless, I would leave the engine and drivetrain completely stock.

The sole thing that I need to point out is that I would suggest you get 18" wheels ASAP if you go with a newer STi. I personally wouldn't feel comfortable driving on 19" rims with a 35 sidewall, especially on the roads we have in Ohio. There are a plethora of 18" rims that fit over the 6 piston calipers, and you can get a larger sidewall on the 18's in order to avoid any unnecessary blowouts.

Again, you have different values than I do. You need to determine what is beneficial to you. I personally value the 2019 STi because of the Type RA engine and transmission combination it has.

If you have any more questions, I'm happy to answer them. If you have ideas you want to bounce off, then I'm willing to provide whatever value I can in order to point you in the right direction. Ultimately, it'll be your car. So, your values and your decisions are what matter. However, it's infinitely beneficial for you to learn from others' mistakes. Therefore, you must research! :lol:

SirMyztiq

Well, I got an update for yall.

After much looking and the many thoughts of getting a used car that was more or less what I wanted but was missing a few things...

I went ahead and ordered a 2020 limited in Red and threw everything on it. I plan to pay it off within 6 months and I figured might as well get what I want. I've only been waiting close to ten years to own one again :D

I even got the footwell lighting, in case you're wondering what I mean by "threw everything on it" :D

I did end up keeping my Baja though. Everybody at the dealership was wondering about it, I can tell they were salivating for the foot traffic it was surely going to bring. But I just couldn't. I was stuck in this mindset of "I don't need two cars" and "it's impractical" but that isn't my situation. I can have two cars can't I? I don't know why I was blocking myself so hard on keeping it. Long story short, the STi will be parked most of the time and my Baja will be my daily if I need it.
I work from home so I don't drive very often. I could sell it to a private buyer, but...nah.

Pics are coming as soon as I wash the Baja. :D

I did find my old journal with the second STi I had. https://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/threads/2646-SirMyztiq-s-Selena

I notice I started off that post with a similar vibe of "I was young and dumb" and the irony of it is not lost on me :D

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Well, congrats! When are you supposed to take delivery of the car? I strongly urge you to keep it stock, at least until the warranty expires. I really want your feedback on the engine and transmission after you've broken your car in. I'm anticipating it'll feel plenty quick based on the information I've gathered.

Are you still in TX? If so, you should meet up with [MENTION=652]Grinder34[/MENTION] !

How old are you now? Do you have any obligations (family, etc.)?

When you have pictures, you should create a new journal for the STi and the Baja. :tup: