iRacing.com, Anyone?

adamkob32

So judging from some of the other gaming threads there seems to be a few people here really into racing games/sims and real life tracking. Do any of you guys dable in iRacing at all? I've been racing there for a few years now and have yet to find something as realistic, useful and competitive as the service. It's not the cheapest thing out there but it's deep in simulation compared to others out there.

Short video of me taking the Williams around my favorite track, Watkins Glen.

--Adam

adamkob32

Typically a subscription is $99 a year right now I think. The rest all depends on what series and cars you want to race/own. You can usually get some start subs for 3 months free or buy 1 month get 2 free.

I typically race the Grand Am series in a Daytona Prototype. This one, painted by me.
gmdp.jpg

--Adam

adamkob32

Indeed they do, MX5 Cup which is the 5 speed, and the MX5 Roadster which is 6 speed.

Here is an example video from one of my MX5 Cup Races at Summit Point.

And a hotlap in the Skip Barber at Summit Point as well,

Undecisive

I'm going to guess you have a whole steering wheel and pedal setup. I can see you doing this with a set of sparco gloves on and your helmet lol.

adamkob32

Yea the playseat isn't a terrible setup. You guessed right though haha, did my avatar give it away. I have been sim racing for a very long time. Finally broke down about a year ago for a real setup.

DSC02612.JPG

Before wheel upgrades. (No I do not race in a helmet on the PC lawlz)
self01.jpg

adamkob32

Ahhh come on, G25/27 is relatively cheap. Logitech Driving Force GT is only around $100 and has a ton of great features itself. To me the wheel actually feels better then G25/27, as far as deadzone and force feedback go. Pedals aren't as good, but G25 pedals are cheap.

--Adam

Undecisive

I still can't play it though without the chair setup. I can't stand pieces moving on me when im doing something serious. Thats why i got rid of my xbox wheel for forza. I need it to be permanently mounted otherwise it will drive me insane.

adamkob32

A nice desk works very well, very stable and if you have a chair without casters your golden. This was my previous setup for a long time, and the one before that.

Previous
raceset1.jpg

And very very old setup haha. Used to use 2 sets of pedals to get the clutch pedal for Live for Speed and Papyrus NASCAR racing.
racesetup.jpg

Undecisive

That's a ghetto rig haha. That would require me to buy a desk, if im buying a desk... why not spend the extra 200 on the chair. Instead of buying things twice.

Undecisive

Oh but I have the room for a rig or a desk. But if im going to buy a desk why not just fork up the extra cash to just buy a rig instead of buying 2 different things