Headlight housing painting 06-07

C NO EVO

This is my first tutorial, if you see anything that's wrong don't be afraid to mention anything... Also if you have any questions feel free to post or PM me

5962300360_d8b738c447.jpg

Step 1; Unclip on the small circular bumper clips by the kidneys

5961744983_d24356ed10.jpg

Step 2; Unbolt the screw that's connected to the headlight and the other two plastic bumper clips.

5961750107_ca4ee5f791.jpg

Step 3; Unclip the grille pieces, all three pieces are connected by plastic clips and slide out once the plastic pins from on top are removed (Step 1+2).

5961770847_3382e004e4.jpg

Step 4; After you have the two grille pieces off look inside and find four bolts that you'll be taking off this step.

5962309162_50130920bd.jpg

Step 5; This is probably the hardest part, taking out the headlights... I didn't loosen up the bumper and managed to pull them out, it's personal preference. It'll definitely be easier if you do. Disconnect all the wires connecting to the headlight. Carefully pull them out

5962311458_0ccc143a34.jpg

Step 6; Preheat your oven to 220 degrees.

5961773353_64ae50706e.jpg

Step 7; Take out the philips screws that connect the headlight pieces together, there's 5 of them (I think) all on the edge.

5961774171_3d2e8239d4.jpg

Step 8; Place the headlights in the oven, I used a sheet of tinfoil and places it on that. I always put them in for about 13 minutes, most people do 10-15 minutes, check up on it every once in a while... Also try to unclip the small clips on the edge of the headlight it'll help you out and help you realize when the rubber sealant is hot enough to be opened.

5961759409_21393f945f.jpg

Step 9; Grab your headlight and undo the clips on the edge and pull it apart!

5962332002_a887df723d.jpg

Step 10; Take out the philip screws, put them in the same bowl where you put the other screws for the headlights... You won't confuse them.

5962329244_b4c7716907.jpg

Step 11; Take the chrome piece that you want painted and put painters tape on the chrome ring unless you plan on painting that as well... It's also up to you what you want with the orange reflector piece, I took it out.. (Found that cutting small pieces of tape and matching it up with the ring was the easiest way.)

5962339496_d1cdec5426.jpg

Step 12; Sand the headlight housing down, up to you how fine you want the sand paper to be...

5961780413_f31d04ab00.jpg

Step 13; Paint! Make sure you distribute the paint evenly, hit it from different angles etc... I did a total of 3 coats and they turned out great IMO.

5961784481_4d0acddf13.jpg

Step 14; Make sure it's dry, don't want to ruin your art work... Take off the tape where the ring is, clean the chrome ring.

5962341186_6eb108fe55.jpg

... Now it's time to redo the entire process in reverse, put them back in the oven, to melt the sealant again use all the screws to tighten the seal. Resort back to the pictures if you get lost.

5962319840_4f0df9415e.jpg

Make sure the seal is warm/hot when you reseal it or else the lights will get water vapor inside them. Happened to me after it rained, I just took them out went to autozone got more sealant and did the entire process again on one headlight, it gets easier and easier the more you do it..

Last edited:

Z1107

great write up, I might be doing this shortyl. Thanks for the instructions very clear and concise.

ShiftHappens

Great How-To! It even worked on my 20 year old headlights LOL. Although the time I had to leave them in was more like 20 minutes LOL

microsnook

Nice! I plan on doing this with a buddy soon.
How hard was it?
Post up some pictures!

I want to paint mine all black, rather than leaving the chrome ring.

C NO EVO

Nice! I plan on doing this with a buddy soon.
How hard was it?
Post up some pictures!

I want to paint mine all black, rather than leaving the chrome ring.

Hardest part is getting the lights off the car, the rest is pretty simple; I'm over in Afghanistan right now so I can't post to many more pictures

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Nice. I like it also.

Just wanted to chime in and let everyone know that this How To will work with 04-05 headlights ( I did mine the day after I got my car. I can not stand chrome) and just about any other new car head light I would supect . After I did mine all the honda guys wanted me to change out the color for them, For a big price that is!!! If only they knew how to look shit up for their self other then fart cans and airplane wings. :tard:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I wish there were more examples of different colors (like the White above!). I dont like the blacked-out look, so I wouldnt want to do them black...white would probably look weird on my black car. I have very little "creative vision" so I just can't create some good schemes. Googled and found this multi-color example:

SAM_1195.jpg

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Maybe just because I'm on the computer at work, but I can't see the pic you posted, Grinder.

Either way, I've seen some (on black cars too) that have been painted red. Looks pretty mean,
especially with Hella's, Brembo's and lug nuts painted the same color.

Black looks clean on a black car. Check out mine...

Before:
Headlight BEFORE paint.jpg

After:
Headlight AFTER paint 3.jpg
Headlight AFTER paint 2.jpg
Headlight AFTER paint 1.jpg

Grinder34

Track Monkey
web.jpg

headlightsside.jpg

Red looks cool, white creepy.

I think i have a pic saved on my comp of a blobeye with a red ring thats hot as hell, but the wife is hogging the desktop right now.