All about E85

Td_d

Commander In Chief
How the hell do I tune for that?!? I used to get enough strange looks pouring toluene into my tank at every fill :D

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Tune it for everclear!

Holy moonshine Batman! I doubt even the E90 being talked about in here is that pure... The local equivalent is called 'Witblitz' (translated, means white lightning), nasty shit, made out of peaches. Been there, tried it, got the vomit. Eugh.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Made updates to the sections "Effects on Performance" and "Tuning for E85" related to timing and fuel strategies. Due to recent experimentation and confirmation I am no longer set that e85 should be rich for making power. There are two scenarios to consider and lean works with one, rich works for the other.

Marshall

This is a great write up!
I was talking to all my evo friends who are running e85 and it's gotten me thinking of doing it.
All I really need is injectors and a tune!

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
You are all very welcome. I think one of our goals with this thread is that when people decide to go e85 I would hope they can confirm much of this with their own findings. Everyone should feel free to comment and argue our findings. Remember that these are only results based on observation and implementation and not so much science.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

STI 2NR

Been running e85 for a few years now on my sti. I am self tuned as well but most recently did a conversion to full speed density. Still working on cold starts and idle oscillation until ECT is above 90 degrees. Hard to tune for since you only have 1 chance each day to datalog a cold start.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Been running e85 for a few years now on my sti. I am self tuned as well but most recently did a conversion to full speed density. Still working on cold starts and idle oscillation until ECT is above 90 degrees. Hard to tune for since you only have 1 chance each day to datalog a cold start.

This is true... If you are interested I could take a look at your logs. Maybe come up with some solutions together. I am always interested in testing/proving my previous notions and making improvements to the process. This could be a good opportunity for us both.

STI 2NR

This is true... If you are interested I could take a look at your logs. Maybe come up with some solutions together. I am always interested in testing/proving my previous notions and making improvements to the process. This could be a good opportunity for us both.

I am using only 2 tables to fix the issue, well 3 if you want to be technical: CL fueling target compensation A (ect) (and B), and Min Primary base enrichment 1 since it is a multiplier for the tables you have previously posted screenshots of on here. I got the heads up on this from Ed (fastblueufo on romraider) as he was having the same issues on some of the subies he tunes.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
i'm curious... When these oscillations occur what does the wide band do?

STI 2NR

i'm curious... When these oscillations occur what does the wide band do?

Rich..................lean............rich...............................lean. Rpms match the same..........up..........down.............up..........down. I have never been able to fix it.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I am using only 2 tables to fix the issue, well 3 if you want to be technical: CL fueling target compensation A (ect) (and B), and Min Primary base enrichment 1 since it is a multiplier for the tables you have previously posted screenshots of on here. I got the heads up on this from Ed (fastblueufo on romraider) as he was having the same issues on some of the subies he tunes.[/QUOT

I do list "Min Primary base enrichment 1" but I am not sure the "CL target compensations (Coolant Temp)" will do you any good for idle. Those tables only work above a load of 1.10 and idle is not nearly that hi. So these tables would never come to play unless i'm missing something. At least in AccessTuner it is min load of 1.10.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Actually the table that would make more sense would be "Primary Open Loop Fueling Compensation (Coolant Temp)"

when the car is first started and the warm up routines are active, the car does not see closed loop until certain thresholds have been met like temperature and delay. In fact it may be the closed loop that is causing the oscillation because conditions are not ideal for correction to be made based on closed loop thresholds. This is why I asked what your AFRs were doing... it is over compensating it's corrections

Look for a way to prevent closed loop until it reaches something like 160*

Last edited:

STI 2NR

I am using only 2 tables to fix the issue, well 3 if you want to be technical: CL fueling target compensation A (ect) (and B), and Min Primary base enrichment 1 since it is a multiplier for the tables you have previously posted screenshots of on here. I got the heads up on this from Ed (fastblueufo on romraider) as he was having the same issues on some of the subies he tunes.[/QUOT

I do list "Min Primary base enrichment 1" but I am not sure the "CL target compensations (Coolant Temp)" will do you any good for idle. Those tables only work above a load of 1.10 and idle is not nearly that hi. So these tables would never come to play unless i'm missing something. At least in AccessTuner it is min load of 1.10.
You sure they do not come into play below and up to that load??

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
No I'm not sure, but the table only starts at 1.10. Does that mean for every value below this value, the parameters are inherited? I don't know. I am assuming you can simply re define the load axis but what would that do for other intended logic.

The other thing you might want to look at for idle oscillation is the table "Ignition Timing Compensation (Idle Target)" If this is not adjusted properly you can get oscillations in idle, but with the AFR gauge doing what it is doing, I believe it is fuel related.

STI 2NR

I need to find a way to keep the motor in the warm up loop i.e. a value of 7 in the closed loop parameter until it reaches 100 degree ect. I will work on it this weekend when I have more time.

I was looking at the tables though and I think CL Delay minimum (ect) might do the trick. Factory setting is 10.4 degrees.

Thoughts??

STI 2NR

I tried the CL delay minimum (ect) and it did not do the trick. I did however zero out the Primary open loop compensation (ect) table. This stopped the oscillation in OL on first startup. However the a/f ratio hovers around 16-17 until closed loop kicks in. I now need to figure out how to make the OL a 14 or 13 afr on startup. The sti will not start like this unless I step on the throttle a bit. I will keep experimenting.

STI 2NR

No I'm not sure, but the table only starts at 1.10. Does that mean for every value below this value, the parameters are inherited? I don't know. I am assuming you can simply re define the load axis but what would that do for other intended logic.

The other thing you might want to look at for idle oscillation is the table "Ignition Timing Compensation (Idle Target)" If this is not adjusted properly you can get oscillations in idle, but with the AFR gauge doing what it is doing, I believe it is fuel related.

What idle target do you suggest? Mine is set at 16.5. I am getting the exact same issues with the new motor/old map.

STI 2NR

Degrees of timing at both idle below speed threshold and above speed threshold. Seems to be working a bit better now. I am still stalling out on occasion, mostly in reverse gear oddly enough.