My loved and lost

My first vehicle that was mine was a 1980 Series 10 Chevrolet LUV pickup with the 'Mikado' package that I got my junior year of high school back in 1990. Paid $400 for it non running and sold it 10 years later for $4200. It was bright canary yellow with tan/black interior and a roaring 1.8L gasoline engine with 80hp and 88 tourque. But it was rather quick on the stick from the stop light and zipping around town because it was light in weight.
This and the family Pontiac Station wagon is what I learned to work on cars on. It was perfect for this because it was simple. When i got it it did not run and spent serval weeks getting it to run. I spent several years and $$ restoring it to showroom condition.
I have very fond memories of this vehicle and severely regret selling it. I really wish I had not.

Attachments

• luv.JPG
    luv.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 58

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
You don't see them trucks around anymore. :( What all did you do to it in your 10 years you had it?

Honestly, I probably replaced every part at some point on that vehicle, at least it seemed. Most not because I had to but because I wanted it to look 'new' again. My goal was a total restoration. The biggest project was when I got it, the aluminum head was warped from overheating so i had to remove and remachine and replace. I can tell you it was very hard finding 10 head bolts for it!!.
I removed the smog pump which required plugging the inputs on the block, to increase a little HP to the engine and removed the cat, since it was exempt due to age from air checks here. Replaced rear drums, springs and shoes, front rotors and calipers, brake master cylinder, torsion bars, control rods and all suspention bushings, fuel lines, droped and refinished and cleaned the fuel tank, repainted the frame, undercoated the bottom of the truck, took the minor dings out of the body, and had it repainted. Put new carpet and seat trim in, only thing I never got to was replacing the dashboard and front bumper, they were very hard to find!

Last edited: