Frankenstein's Creation, brought to you by Hawkeye ; )

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Met with my mechanic/engine builder tonight. If the cylinder walls survived we will be doing a rebuild and I think we will be able to do it for a reasonable price. If they did not I will be buying a new shortblock and bolting the current heads up (as long as they are okay of course). He is willing to help tear down, build up, and install for around $400 which is pretty cool. It certainly helps my budget concerns. He just finished a guys WRX and it will be getting tuned at a local speed shop, I am hoping their pricing and work is good as I would like to use them myself. How much does a dyno tune usually run you guys?

In other news, we took apart the heads from the old motor and they are pretty worn, however, they should be fine if the newer heads have issues. It looks like the front coilovers are shot, which is not a big deal, so i will be looking for springs. If you guys have any suggestions for a set that will even out the wheel gap and give a sight drop that would be awesome. I am not looking for race springs, more of an appearance mod.

STimedic

Surely you jest....I would NEVER recommend 555's to anyone. I used to run them and hated every day I had them on the car. Lateral grip was garbage and anywhere north of NC gets snow on a regular basis during the winter, which the 555's suck in ANY sort of moisture. Grip? A Whitesnake album comes to mind......slippery when wet.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Pulled the motor tonight. Pulled off the oil pan and things don't look good. Large piece of bearing and plenty of glitter. Looks like the crank is ruined (hard to be certain but it appears to have hit the block walls). Rods look okay but wont know until they are off. I am thinking this will end up being at least a new shortblock. O well, i will try to stay optimistic until the motor is totally torn down. I am just praying the heads are good, but we shall see (fingers crossed). I know I said there would be pictures so I will try to get some up tomorrow if I have time ;)

HawkEye, if you need it, I have a condenser sitting in my garage.

I will be sure to keep that in mind. Thanks!

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Anyone have experience with Eibach's pro-kit lowering springs? I like the drop amounts, and the price isnt too bad either.
Any recommendations on places to buy a shortblock? I will likely just go through my mechanic for a stock one, but wasnt sure if there were any better options.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Just keep in mind that if the block is in tact it shouldn't matter what the walls look like. best case you just bore and hone and worse case you sleeve. Still cheaper than a whole new short block IMO.

A buddy of mine just bought a new bare block with nothing in it for something like $1200

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Short block is only $1800 from Subaru. I have heard wayyy too many people that have had issues with sleeving. If I can bore and hone I may do that, but we will see once it is apart. I am just happy to have it out so it can be torn down this week. I would put pictures up but there is not much to see right now.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Sorry for the lack of info, pics, or anything on the build. I have a broken wrist from 5 years ago that has flared up causing me to step away from the build for a bit. Let me know if any of you or anyone you know could use a stock sti exhaust and possibly a hood. I am selling off anything I do not need to have to help cover some costs. I will still try to be on here learning though. Still loving the site, keep up the good work guys and thanks for all the help you all have given me thus far.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Updates:
my wrist shouldn't need surgery, so I am back focused on the car. I bought some eibach springs, a gasket kit for the rebuild, belts, kartboy endlinks, and an act clutch.

Tomorrow is finally the day for the tear down. So I will be able to find out if it was a spun rod or main bearing.

In other news, I painted part of the turbo and a few other odds and ends. I will be sure to get pics up asap, I know I keep saying that but I should actually have some things to show.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
The timing belt tensioner can be reused. The guy doing the build works as a Subaru mechanic and said it can be reused with no problems if it is relatively new. You don't want to reuse one with 50k+ miles.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I've used them over before. The manual says you can reuse it. Never had issues. There is less than 5000 miles on it. The only thing you must do is once you compress the tensioner you have to give it time to reach full tension after you reinstall it.. About 24 hrs before it reaches max tension. This is because the tensioner is hydraulic and fills the chamber slowly.

I used a large vice or a press to compress it. You then pin it in place untill everything is installed and then remove the pin to apply the tension.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
Good news first....The heads are off and are okay! Woo! So I am really excited about that.

Unfortunately the short block did not fair so well. Rod bearing got thrashed. Cylinder wall is scarred pretty bad. Crank is toast. So I'm going to go ahead and buy a new shortblock. If anyone has suggestions on where to get one I am all ears. I am currently looking at one that is new with CP pistons installed $2,600 shipped to my door. How does that sound to you guys?

Eagleye

Tinkerer
im not going to lie, that would be sick....but this is a DD unfortunately and that just sounds like it could be a huge PITA haha.

Eagleye

Tinkerer
So, if you have the time, and even if you don't, I recommend you set the heads on some cardboard with the valves facing the ceiling and fill the bowl with some super slick. If it leaks down into the ports, you have some issues. Visual inspection won't always show a bent valve.

Leave them there overnight and look for the lube getting past the valve seats. Maybe just an extra precaution, but a little time will save you plenty of headache later.

Sounds like a good idea, thanks for the advice.