Private Community?

Should the community go private?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Even though I haven't been on this board long at all, I can tell you there is a real good group of people on this board. Everybody I have dealt with have been more then willing to lend a hand and just be helpful in general.

What I have seen from being a moderator on a local board here in Oklahoma, people with limited access/no access to a board/community become more interested. People seem to be intrigued by stuff they cant see.

What if we have 2-3 tiers of access. Example:
1st Tier - These are the people that first sign up. The only thing they can view is: Announcements/Feedback Section and the New Member/FAQ Area

2nd Tier - This is for people that have "Proven Themselves" as in posted sufficient enough posts that are helpful, welcoming, etc; Mostly people that seem willing to bring something to this board. Sections that could be viewed by users: General, Product Reviews, Shop Reviews, Media, Etc. No Technical as in these sub-forums provide some very nice information.

3rd Tier - At this level, you have helped build this community giving you full access. When you get to this level you have proved yourself in being a loyal member, provided good information, never being disrespectful, etc. I just don't feel people should get access to stuff that takes years to get/make by just signing up.

Also, I think that this could also draw in more site subscriptions. People who pay for something are going to use what they bought.

Figured I would throw this out there to see what you guys think.

Good information here, but let me ask you something. Say a new member has just registered. That member purchases a Platinum membership and still has 0 posts. Would that automatically bump him into the 3rd tier?

prestonztt

Good information here, but let me ask you something. Say a new member has just registered. That member purchases a Platinum membership and still has 0 posts. Would that automatically bump him into the 3rd tier?

If a person is willing to pay $69 then they are more then likely going to contribute and use the board. If not, then easy money was just made :)

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
If a person is willing to pay $69 then they are more then likely going to contribute and use the board. If not, then easy money was just made :)

Roger that. JJ, what thoughts have you gathered thus far?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
A few of us have thought about the idea of moving certain, advanced topics to the paid members' forums. That way, not everything can be easily accessed by a guest or free member. You can even go as far as having the more, knowledgeable, in depth topics in the platinum members' sub forum. Has anyone else though about new ideas?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Anyone, anything?!

Users active in the past 24 hours 1106 Users have visited the forum. 38 members and 1068 guests

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Really sad if you ask me, but what else can we do?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Really sad if you ask me, but what else can we do?

You made this thread on 10-20-2011.

So it's been almost 2 years... If nothing else worked, it's time to proceed to what has ultimately lead to this. Too many guests, just way too many. What are the cons if you proceed with this through, if there are any?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
You made this thread on 10-20-2011.

So it's been almost 2 years... If nothing else worked, it's time to proceed to what has ultimately lead to this. Too many guests, just way too many. What are the cons if you proceed with this through, if there are any?

We will lose Goggle search.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
We will lose Goggle search.

Well... that's a pretty significant con....

Why would we lose the google search though? Is there a way around it? Is there a way to still go private and still be on the google search in another aspect or bypassing it somehow. Shed me some light.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Well... that's a pretty significant con....

Why would we lose the google search though? Is there a way around it? Is there a way to still go private and still be on the google search in another aspect or bypassing it somehow. Shed me some light.

Google crawls our threads. If we lock it up it looks like we're closed.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Just move the important information to members' resources and keep everything else the same. By important information, I mean the technical, full in depth, with unreal amount of detail threads. The general ones won't matter since you can find them anywhere, not just on forums.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Just move the important information to members' resources and keep everything else the same. By important information, I mean the technical, full in depth, with unreal amount of detail threads. The general ones won't matter since you can find them anywhere, not just on forums.

I'm starting to agree with you. I'm gonna ask Holy what he thinks is best also about this.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
I'm starting to agree with you. I'm gonna ask Holy what he thinks is best also about this.

Yes! Please update us as I am curious to know George's thoughts as well! :tup:

stiorbust

You make this private and the forum will collapse. No one is just gonna go and buy a membership without trying it out. Just my opinion. I know I'm prob dropping my sponsorship due to school cutting my ability to work more hours.. That's just the reality of life

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
You make this private and the forum will collapse. No one is just gonna go and buy a membership without trying it out. Just my opinion. I know I'm prob dropping my sponsorship due to school cutting my ability to work more hours.. That's just the reality of life

Its not the entire forum, just the really in depth threads. The advanced and over the top things. Things you cant really find everywhere like simple technical things. I think itll work out just fine.