Variable geometry turbo "VGT" implementation on an sti.

Bluedemon_II

Well my project is on hold until I can source more money or have customers come in for a tune.

I was thinking about tuning strategies to work with the vgt mechanism. Right now I'm using lean spool to get a faster response from my vf-39, don't know if I should the same strategy while using the vgt due to higher EGT. I'm implementing Nos into my setup but I don't know if i'm going to use it for spool up or for additional power. Keeping the topic alive.

Bluedemon_II

Mine is too man, focus right now is just getting an engine back in it. LOL!

But, now that I've teamed up with some more experienced guys, the build is morphing. It could get interesting.

Its always interesting my friend, as long as its not another bolt on nancy. lol.

Bluedemon_II

You mean using a vgt turbo to feed compressed air to the turbine side of a larger turbo? Is there even the space to do that? I want details lol.

Bluedemon_II

So what you mean is to have a turbo spooled by the exhaust gas, say no wastegate or a 35mm one, then the exhaust flow would keep going into the second turbo and spool it and since you are pushing air threw the inlet as well it will act as a dual are spool. I like it. Sadly I don't have the time to stop my car for the fab work. The piping would be insane. We should setup a shop specialized in the blue moon modifications and convert them into bolt on kits lmao. Sounds interesting.

Bluedemon_II

Is there a commercial valve that can hold up to the heat and has the appropriate size? Sounds quite complex. You could do an HE351vgt and up stream install a HX50. That should be good to up to 700whp if the spool up scheme works.

Bluedemon_II

Yea but 1000whp would be for that special crowd. Ill stay with the vgt idea for now. I'm currently sizing my fueling requirements for the turbo and nos.

Bluedemon_II

Dam nice, with some ID2000cc its quite doable. Ed at EQtuning manage to make a built sti idle at 800rpm with them and an aem. I need to clear my cam and crank pickup issues first which apparently is almost impossible...

Bluedemon_II

Nah, mi pickup problems come from the use of the Aem. She sucks at picking up any cams that aren't stock. I don't want to replace my bc 272 cams with stock ones...

Bluedemon_II

So, have gotten in contact with two individuals that know about controlling VVTs. One I will be having a phone conversation with because they produce performance parts, and the other posted in my journal on IW. First priority will be the Air to water intercooling setup as that fitment will be more of an issue than controlling the VVT. Progress is being made again after a period of lull, and from the info I've gotten, I may actually be able to go back to a single VVT design again! Much less complicated and cheaper!

Mechanical or electrical control? Using stock components? What did you buy? I hate suspense...

Bluedemon_II

HE351VE. We're still discussing it, but I can say electronic control, the guy they have that works on electronics is a frikin genius. Personally, I'd like to use different components and I want to use an impeller speed sensor that is mounted on the compressor side. I also want to change the cover and compressor wheel. New one will be the extended wheel that flows 72 lb/min and has less rotational mass. If you want, I can PM you who I'm talking to about each part in case you want to talk to them too. I don't really have more details to put in the thread right now, but I'll update you when I can.

Is that wheel from a holset family of wheels or does it come from an other manufacturer?

This is awesome news for this project!

joey.lisano

btw, the advantage is the the fact that the VVT will be able to spool at idle RPMs.
Oh man, I heard a Cummins VGT turbo diesel plowing some snow in a parking lot. The could hear the turbo boosting even though the truck was only going 5 mph. Simply awesome.

Bluedemon_II

Oh man, I heard a Cummins VGT turbo diesel plowing some snow in a parking lot. The could hear the turbo boosting even though the truck was only going 5 mph. Simply awesome.

Actually If we are able to do this, then limits would need to be in place as to avoid snapping a gear.

Bluedemon_II

Juan, got an update for you bro. Turbo should be at HHT tomorrow. It will get an 80 lb/min wheel and then be shipped to an un-named company in Washington state for the controller to be made. This is going to be stupid...

Did that 80lb blade came from hx40? Also, will those guys make a controller to market it or did you pay for a custom job? Thats grate news! So far I took on an other project and when that engine arrives at my place this Saturday I may continue with the sti. A friend had a 20% discount at pepboys and my itchy wallet bought an Msd CDI ignition controller and a Msd coil. I'm Impulsive...

Bluedemon_II

We'll be working together to get one created that can be marketed. My goal was that it would be applicable to any platform, including diesels. If it works out right, those things will sell like hotcakes!

MSD ignition? whats so great about that?

It provides a safe rev limit for a carb v8 that has 1 sensor in its complete wiring harness and it adds CDI to the mix. :D This is a strange side project that I will enjoy it like the sti lol.