Variable geometry turbo "VGT" implementation on an sti.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
And updates from fuji or bludemon?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
No. I think Blue got rid of his STi and my Holset is still being worked on. Still needs some means of control... what will most likely happen is that it will get a stepper motor only put on it and then tuned as another part of the car.

He did get rid of it.

Bluedemon_II

I sold it but the hole plans are still in my ecu. I just plan to use the setup for a different engine setup. There is a lot of fab work to be done but its perfectly doable. I dont plan on taken the genesis up to that point, but an old chevy engine could be up to the task :O .

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I bet if we pool our minds we can do the same thing with an arduino. I've been playing around with one for the past few months and I dont see why it couldn't do it.

djelly84

Just wanted to say I'm thrilled to have found this thread. My friend and I have been researching and contemplating VGT gas setups for over 3 years and I never saw this thread. Even better is that its on a Suby Forum! I have a 2004 RWD Suby making a little over 500whp and using a v1 AEM. Looking forward to seeing this controller next month!

Have you guys thought about what the exhaust temps might be and how to contain that heat? I'd be running e85 for one, but still the exhaust temps will be so high any nearby vacuum lines, electrical connections etc. will be susceptible. Also heat shielding under the car around the exhaust will be necessary.

The Porsche 911 turbo had a crazy exhaust system if I remember correctly. And a ton of shielding all over the place.

I am definitely subscribing to this one!

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
You should see the tuning guide in the premium members forum! WOW!

Bluedemon_II

Just wanted to say I'm thrilled to have found this thread. My friend and I have been researching and contemplating VGT gas setups for over 3 years and I never saw this thread. Even better is that its on a Suby Forum! I have a 2004 RWD Suby making a little over 500whp and using a v1 AEM. Looking forward to seeing this controller next month!

Have you guys thought about what the exhaust temps might be and how to contain that heat? I'd be running e85 for one, but still the exhaust temps will be so high any nearby vacuum lines, electrical connections etc. will be susceptible. Also heat shielding under the car around the exhaust will be necessary.

The Porsche 911 turbo had a crazy exhaust system if I remember correctly. And a ton of shielding all over the place.

I am definitely subscribing to this one!

The turbo was going to be ceramic coated with a turbo blanket also placed over it. Under hood temps wouldn't be any crazier in comparison to a gt35. Now that the controller is coming out, I might even pick this up again from the bottom up but might try it in an 2.5Rs box instead of an newer Impreza.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
This thread lives! I miss the days of nerdy technical talk.

That controller definitely seems legit, but it's not cheap. I wonder how plug-and-play it is vs needing to be tuned. Sourcing the VGT is the next problem.