Emissions question?

jswansti

Not 100% sure if this is the proper area for my topic, so feel free to move it if needed!

When I have to get my car emissions tested, what should I run for the tune to pass? The car is tuned on E85 but I have a map for 91 and the stock downpipes to put back on. I've heard ill almost definitely have to put the stock dp on, but can I run the E85 map with it? Just stay extremely clear of any boost or something? Same goes for the 91 map; should I switch to 91 and just limp over there with the stock dp on for the test? I know E85 would give me better results for passing the test...

I wont have an emissions test for quite a while, im just curious and it'll be nice to know for future reference! Thanks for the help

jswansti

Its like $25 or something to get the test done, and if you fail the first time you have so many days to try again for free. I might try to just pass the test without changing out the dp at all on E85. But if I don't pass, ill put the dp on and try again. Can I run E85 safe enough with the stock dp?

SSJBaku

i would always reccomend tuning for it, but if your not driving too far you might be able to get away with it

jswansti

I might have to ask my tuner what he recommends I do. Im pretty sure he said something about being able to drive with the stock dp on the E85 tune just fine as long as I drive like my 90 year old grandma. Also gotta make sure the guys at the facility don't decide to rev it up super high really fast, just a steady increase in throttle.

Vermont

I just had my emmisions and inspection done here in VA and passed no problem, even with my ewg with dump tube. Are you open source or cobb? If you are open source I wouldent mind at all helping you at with a stage one tune to help you pass man. You could in all honesty swap back out to a stock dp then just set the waste gate to mechanical boost pressure. You would only be able to hit 10psi or so, and you fuel trims will he all over the place do to your Maf scalping being out of wack but you should be fine. Hell I don't even have a rear o2 sensor and idle at 13.7 along with my Maf looking like it was scaled by a retarded monkey and I still passed.

jswansti

Tuned on cobb. Thanks tho!

Yeah they 4 wheel rollers. They plug into obd2 and also do tail pipe sniffer. I wont have a test for a year probably, but this is just good info to know!

Yeah they 4 wheel rollers. They plug into obd2 and also do tail pipe sniffer. I wont have a test for a year probably, but this is just good info to know!

Wow... I thought that might be the case in the colder states where AWD is common. I'd think you'd be OK with the stock downpipe.

Calvin can shoot you a limp tune if you email him when the time comes. :tup:

Vermont

I don't know if you will be able too, but try and look for a tiny little po-dunk gas station. They will not have the 4 wheel rollers and will just use the two stage test. Where they measure at the tail pipe first at idle then at 2500 rpms. I have read a few threads over on iwsti.com where guys were claiming they were able to pass the sniffer on E85 with out any cats.... I don't know how true that is but I am pretty sure that with the stock cats back on you will pass with flying colors.

jswansti

Thanks foe the info!
With the stock dp on im not worried about not passing. I have to get tested in my registered county, which are all ran by the county, so no po-dunk gas station testing for me. My Cobb dp is catted, so im hoping the benefits of E85 and the semi-effectiveness of the cat will be enough to pass before having to try with the stock dp.

Last edited:

Vermont

Thanks foe the info!
With the stock dp on im not worried about not passing. I have to get tested in my registered county, which are all ran by the county, so no po-dunk gas station testing for me. My Cobb dp is catted, so im hoping the benefits of E85 and the semi-effectiveness of the cat will be enough to pass before having to try with the stock dp.

I have not heard of a single problem with people unale to pass with the Cobb catted dp. I had heard some stuff about the invida catted dp but that was back in 09. I am pretty sure you will be more than fine. Also if you fail the first time with your catted cobb dp just swap out to stock and comke back the next day. The bigest thing you are going to have to worry about is the readyness monitor. You need to drive around 100 miles after any ECu resets or flashes before the ecu will all for a pass. Best of luck with it man.