just installed Access TUNER Race now what??

Td_d

Commander In Chief
No, but I would really like to. You only get a complete picture when you know what EGTs are doing - e.g. For all I know I could lean out my AFRs at high loads even further given my meth set up, but not willing to without EGTs.

SSJBaku

okay, i was thinking of getting the AEM gauge i believe it has the serial port for data logging, ill look into it, have to wait for the holiday money to all get straightened out, maybe come tax time ill pick it up and try to figure it out

Vermont

I have the AEM UEGO as well for my STi and all you need to do is follow the instructions and pick up the needed rs232 female connector kit (radio shack has it), ground wire, and a rs232 to usb cable. This will set everything up for your lap top to log. Not as sure what type of cable you need to connect it to your AP though.

Back in 09 i was in the same place as your are now man. I started out buying a Tactrix cable and down loading a stage one tune from XPT. Then moved on from there. Honestly I am no ware near as knowledgeable as Td_d, Holycrap, or Fuji. I have learned so much from them that it is stunning. I would start with the Bad noodle guide, I still use it as reference to this day. As for tackling the meth I would wait if I were you. First try and get a firm grasp on the basics before you move onto it. I still haven't installed my own Coolingmist CMGS for this reason (that and i'm lazy). I would stick with the stage two map as a base and work on it for now. Start in the order that Rek suggested. You want to make sure that while you are playing around with the tune you have safe fueling to reduce the chance of detonation and potentially blowing your motor. Then maybe move onto boost and waste gate duty cycles. Just work on understanding how they interact with each other, and how the TD (turbo dynamics table) interacts with both.

Personally I am a very conservative tuner. Right now I am running an AFR of 10.3-10.5 under heavy load. My timing is no where near maxed and that is how I like it right now. So find your style man and run with it.

Best of luck! :tard:

SSJBaku

yeah im going to need it! i also have to learn DSM Link at the same time as one of my buddies went and bought a DSM, i had always had several friends around me that knew how to use it and tuned for me while i drove, so now its time to turn the tables, lol hopefully figure out the easier dsm tuning, then just apply bits and pieces over and start to get mine the way i want it

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
out of curiosity, are there any more places where i can find base maps, right now the only one that seemed like a decent starting point for me was the cobb ots stg 2 93 octane

If you are using ATR and your AccessPort you can only start with the Cobb OTS maps :tup: So stage 2 is a good starting point.

SSJBaku

yeah i burnt myself out again reading it is a lot to digest at once, i've always been good at mechanical troubleshooting and plain old wrenching but shy'd away from tuning, saw it as way too hard. Its not bad really just have to take my time, by looking at it i can already see the benefit of being able to adjust each gear independently once i get better