just installed Access TUNER Race now what??

SSJBaku

ok definitely new to tuning, i was curious if there were any specific reading material or tips to get going on tuning, not trying it out on my car yet but want to start messing around learning how to do it so that i can tune my own car in the near future

SSJBaku

yeah i was getting all that up to start looking at in the morning, my main concern is my first feat after initially running my old map is going to be to figure out if i dare tackle adding my meth into it, definitely nervous to attempt that

SSJBaku

anyone else have any advice or links for me to read up on, the fueling looks simple using the access tuner as long as your scaling values are currect along with voltage inputs

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
There is some threads in Elite STi for tuning.

SSJBaku

and my local guru got a new job as a construction project manager in japan haha, so he can't help me, it was his idea for me to start tuning in the first place, hes been doing tunes on subarus since 02

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Start with Bad Noodle's tuning guide (google it, otherwise I can send you a link) - great overview. I suggest you read the early posts in my journal between holy and I, he really taught me quite a bit. Also, take it one bit at a time - are you starting from scratch, or tweaking? Good to have a goal in mind.

Plenty of people to help here as well, don't be shy to ask questions - this ain't nasioc, nobody's going to jump down your throat to feel superior.

SSJBaku

i will be starting from scratch, probably using a base cobb stage 2 map unless someone has a better base starting point, my last road tune was vendor locked so the access tuner won't allow me to load it, my goal from the previous tune is to try to get better spool characteristics as i have read that most tuners do not adjust all the settings to benefit spool

i just started downloading bad noodles guide i will be sure to ask questions when im comfortable enough to actually start tuning

Td_d

Commander In Chief
Cool, good luck! It's overwhelming at first, but with experimentation you get the hang of it. For spool, I think at first you want to start looking at the sections dealing with wastegate duty etc., DBW maps, AFR and timing as a good start. At a more advanced level, you can tweak AVCS maps, per gear timing - but take it one step at a time.

SSJBaku

yeah thats what everyone was telling me is that since i have the external i might be able to see big gains in spool by adjusting it right, itll take some time, but in the end once im comfortable itll be a lot better than paying $175/hr for someone else to do it

Td_d

Commander In Chief
And it's tremendously rewarding doing it yourself. Also, think about it this way - it takes tens, if not hundreds of hours of real live driving and logging to tune the day to day partial throttle, closed loop areas just right. No tuner will do that, but you can.

SSJBaku

out of curiosity, are there any more places where i can find base maps, right now the only one that seemed like a decent starting point for me was the cobb ots stg 2 93 octane

Td_d

Commander In Chief
There's a couple on the romraider forums, not that many really. You'll find lots of specific areas of tuning all over the net though (here, iwsti, nasioc, romraider)

SSJBaku

ok because i know once i get the hang of it im going to have to figure out how to tune for meth, thats probably going to be fun in itself

SSJBaku

another question where do you go to buy the serial cable to allow you to use your wideband, i have the AEM Uego wideband

SSJBaku

Lots of reading done this evening more to be had tomorrow hopefully soon ill be able to start trying her out and make my own improvements, it will definitely be interesting to say the least

SSJBaku

yeah im trying to get one of my buddies down in jacksonville to come up this weekend to sit down with me, hes been tuning for years, i think it will all make sense when i actually get it hooked up to the car and see how it all works