Loooooooooooong drives

John

How do you handle long drives? And by long I mean 15+ hours.

I've driven 15 - 16 hours straight through before (been years though)....and it was kind of tough...

On Friday I'm starting a 1900 mile drive.....and advise on how to keep myself awake and keep myself from going insane?

Oh yeah, a 1 and 3 year old will be coming along as well

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I just recently drove from Texas to ny. I have no advice for you because I'm still recovering. I kept seeing these swift trucks and after a while I started to think I was seeing the same one. I was thinking whether or not I was going in circles. Then while driving through PA I saw a sign for "Texas road exit 60" I read it as "Texas 600 miles" and freaked out. The mind begins to play with you after 8 hours of driving.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

John

I'm driving from Atlanta to Phoenix. I plan on stopping in Austin to rest though...but still...two little kids on two back to back long drives....hmm lol

Vermont

Have done Virginia to Colorado more than a few times. Also Colorado to vermont as well. Both are long drives. Like were talking 26-28 hours on the road. Only done it once with out storing to sleep. I usually just drive till I get tired then I just stop some where and take a nap in the car.

GA Scooby

Screw that I couldn't make it to NCCAR for a race weekend without going nuts and that was only 6-7 hours. The people in the car though liked to be annoying

STimedic

I can do long road trips with the kids in the car, they usually pass out after the first hour. It's when I'm driving from Bragg to Denver ALONE that sucks. I can drive a long ass time if I have someone to talk to. REVIVE!

I do have close to 750,000 miles under my belt in driving though, with the vast majority being cross-country.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Audio books. They're great. When i was younger and the passenger, my parents got the Harry Potter books on tape, and they were great. Interesting enough for everyone. Now I like to get something that's not too heavy, more of a page turner like a Dan Brown or something. If you havent done the audio-book thing for a road trip, you NEED to try it. If you have kids, maybe Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series can last several trips. Honestly, it makes the trip fly by. I use them for ALL my trips...and i do them a lot! I've done dc<-->houston maybe a dozen times without stopping because the book keeps me going!

RallySoob

way old post i know... but:

I used to drive to Las Vegas from Salem, OR all the time.. 16.5hrs on average...lil more with stops.

I like to make more stops personally. I like to blast the radio and roll down the windows every once in while to change the mood too haha. I tell my dog stories too but thats cuz Im loco. Anything you can do to get comfortable helps. USually time passes quick if you can get into a in depth conversation with another person.