Cobb Tuning Plano Motor FAILED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd also like to add that after this thread is exhausted all non-pertinent posts will be removed to allow viewers to clearly see both sides of the whole story rather than just reading the first post and saying "fuck it I'm not digging through several pages to read the whole story".

Although COBB is not a sponsor of the site they will still be treated with respect and allowed to respond to the extent they desire.

Any hearsay and bashing will not be tolerated. This goes for all posting in this thread.

Keep it civil.

Last edited:

booSTi

We have been extremely busy, however we strive to do what we can to make everyone satisfied. Here is Calvin's communication that was sent to you two days ago:

"Shawn,

I know it can be frustrating communicating with many different people at the same time so I will simply state the technical data and my finding from the disassemble and inspection of your engine.

The initial diagnoses of a bent rod was only that, my initial possible diagnoses based on just listening to the engine with it still in the car. Once we removed and disassembled your engine what we found was one broken piston on cylinder #4 and one bent piston on cylinder #2 and both cylinders have been pushed out, that is why the compression numbers were low in only one cylinder the bent piston still allowed for good compression but was still damaged. The cause of this was extreme cylinder pressure caused by pre-ignition. Pre-ignition happens when the air/fuel mixture is ignited before the spark event, this is different from detonation and E85 is still capable of pre-ignition and can happen when the mixture becomes very lean. Since both cylinders that were damaged were on the same bank of the engine then the root cause is something that is common to those two cylinders that can cause a lean condition since the car came to us with a fuel leak at the fuel rail on the same side of the engine that the damage was on and knowing the state of tune of the car we have to assume that the fuel leak caused the fueling of cylinder #2&#4 to become lean and cause pre-ignition.

Unfortunately your engine parts are at our machinist's shop right now so we are unable to send you pictures of the damage but once we get them back we will be able to take pictures and send them your way.

I hope this will give you a better understanding of what we found with your engine."

Ok so this is like the FIFTH time the story has changed. Ha, and it took a month to get the newest version of the story.

So you guys dont seem to understand that the fuel leak WAS NOT THERE WHEN I WAS DRIVING THE CAR. I took it off to remove the intercooler pipe. If it was leaking when driving the car would have caught on fire. That is the SUPPLY line for the whole fuel system, so why isnt the whole motor shot?

After you guys read my response to your initial email, you guys have now changed your story to two hurt pistons because i said that is the ONLY way it could have been hurt by loss of fuel pressue. A magical piston that was 'bent' but still held perfect compression? A 'broke' piston that still had compression of 120? My motor was KNOCKING. I dont understand. It is basic geometry. When a car has a "broke" or 'bent' piston the compression drops off substantially. When you guys say the wall has been pushed out, it is because of the BENT rod, the cylinder is applying pressure to the walls because its not centered anymore.

There is no way a bent piston or broke piston would make the car sound the way it did.

You guys told me that the engine was torn down at Cobb Tuning Plano, and now its at the machine shop? How can i believe anything you guys say now?

Here is the video i took of the car;

Sound quality isn't great because its off my phone, but its definitely knocking. It was 10x louder in person.

Last edited by a moderator:

Paul.c

So you guys dont seem to understand that the fuel leak WAS NOT THERE WHEN I WAS DRIVING THE CAR. I took it off to remove the intercooler pipe. If it was leaking when driving the car would have caught on fire. That is the SUPPLY line for the whole fuel system, so why isnt the whole motor shot?

I believe this is the main issue between you and COBB. You say the car didn't have a fuel leak when you were driving the car but how on earth would they know that? You ask them to take your word for it but on the other hand you won't take their word for anything they tell you? What they see is a leaky fuel line that they didn't install, correct? I'm not saying this case is cut and dry but they are offering you a discount for the repair which is more than some shops would give you.

booSTi

I believe this is the main issue between you and COBB. You say the car didn't have a fuel leak when you were driving the car but how on earth would they know that? You ask them to take your word for it but on the other hand you won't take their word for anything they tell you? What they see is a leaky fuel line that they didn't install, correct? I'm not saying this case is cut and dry but they are offering you a discount for the repair which is more than some shops would give you.

A fuel leak wouldn't cause ANY of this. They said it could be either the leak, or the e85 blend. The blend checked out okay and so they are going off the leak.

I drove the car to plano, dynoed and and drove it back. 450 miles round trip. The fuel leak obviously was not there. If one new about cars, if you were to lose fuel pressure the car wouldn't even be able to go without cutting out and everything else. The car runs off air and fuel. if you have too much or too little of one you can definitely feel it.

Of course they are going to go off the ONE thing i touched! Their builds are completley flawless and a work of art. Carl's STi proved this too.

I've asked them to pull the logs of the car and they haven't even done that.

You're right, i'm the one thats sketchy, holding someones car for a period of the two months, not responding to emails, not calling me back as promised, giving me different stories. AFTER i spend 7k. I would DEF believe their word over mine!

Shops accept full responsibilty of stuff they work on so it doesnt come down to this. Are they losing more by this issue being publicized, everyone i know that is involved in cars knowing about this experience, and those people telling other people? Like "Hey i'm thinking about going to get my 335i tuned, or MS3 OR WRX at Cobb, how were you treated?" What is my response you think? Or giving me the benefit of the doubt, biting the bullet and fixing my car?

I have talked to many reputable shops around the US and they chuckled when they found out my tuner/builder was blaming a fuel leak for the motor failing.

Last edited:

Z1107

Okay here's a third person view point who has no bias to either side, just the cop in me giving his 2 cents. Apparently there is some significant miscommunication between the two parties and deep emotions running. So take a breather and patiently try to get productive dialogue going so that both parties have a clear image of what the other is saying and wants. I understand the passion that drives us with these cars and have dealt with mistakes made on my car, it is infuriating. But I have seen in the past when Cobb has gone out of their way to correct a problem, again no bias as I have never used them, and have no desire to due to distance from where I live. I'm sure the situation can and will be resolved if there can be some clear, mature, calm dialogue going between both parties. Just my 2 cents.

Paul.c

booSTi, I never called you sketchy nor did I mean to appear bias in this situation. I am simply trying to point out what COBB is seeing. Just like what REKS said above, they can only go off of what they physically see in front of them.

JJ, yes if you spend 7k on a build and tune then everything should be working 110% when you leave. But again, COBB is going off of what they see in front of them.

I promise I am not picking sides. I would very much like to see this issue get resolved and have both parties happier than two pigs in shit.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Anymore progress in you case?

booSTi

Nothing, haven't heard a word from them.

Also, it looks like they have signed on and decided not to reply to the thread as well.

cobb tuning

Nothing, haven't heard a word from them.

Also, it looks like they have signed on and decided not to reply to the thread as well.

Shawn,

As you have been a good customer of ours in the past we did present you with a discounted rate on our labor to help soften the blow of this build. The options presented via e-mail are still available. Have you made a choice on how you would like to repair your car?

Please call COBB Tuning - Plano when you've decided which way you would like to go.

Cheers,
COBB Tuning

Paul.c

I honestly don't think you will get a better solution (20% right?) from a builder. Much less a reputable shop with as much experience and knowledge as COBB. If you were thinking you were going to get something for free then I don't know what to tell you.

booSTi

I
Shawn,

As you have been a good customer of ours in the past we did present you with a discounted rate on our labor to help soften the blow of this build. The options presented via e-mail are still available. Have you made a choice on how you would like to repair your car?

Is there a reason you didn't reply to the my response to your other reply? I want an answer to that.

Please call COBB Tuning - Plano when you've decided which way you would like to go.

Cheers,
COBB Tuning

Last edited:

booSTi

I want to know why you guys didn't respond to my response to the 5th time the story changed?

What are you talking about FREE? I spent 7 THOUSAND DOLLARS AND THE MOTOR BLEW. Why would I need to pay a dime more? Do I need to pay for the newest version of the story?

It didn't even last 8 months. Awesome work Cobb. Way to stand behind your work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Z1107

I'm confused the engine blew immediately after it was built or months and x amount miles later?

Z1107

If that engined popped a few days later than Cobb and him need to get something worked out better than whats being offered, but if it popped 8 months later than he is SOL.

Z1107

Oh trust me I do get it. But as a business that claims and holds a reputable reputation you stand by a product even if it was just regular mechanical failure. Every batch of products produces a lemon and it's those rare lemons that can ruin a company. One negative can wipe out one thousand positive reviews, nature of the beast when you run a business.

Status
Not open for further replies.