Rim paint

jswansti

Hey all! So this weekend I might be stripping the shitty spray paint job off my summer set of bbs rims that the guy I bought them from did. I know if I search the web i'll find a million things on how to paint rims, but I just have a few questions that hopefully a few people can give advice on. Im not looking for a how to necessarily, I understand the jist of how to actually do it.

What sandpaper would you use to strip the old paint off? I kind of want to stay clear of paint stripper. I know sandpaper will take longer, but im fine with that.

I want to paint my rims orange (please don't hate on me!), would you recommend engine enamel paint for this? Its the only durable orange I've found so far. Im open to any suggestions on what kind of paint to use. Also, what kind of clear coat should I use? I was assuming engine enamel clear coat if I use the engine enamel paint...So far im going with duplicolor chrysler orange (hemi orange).

I know spray paint will chip, its just a cheap fix for fun until I can afford to powdercoat them in the future. Thanks for any info!!

Vermont

I would highly suggest going down to a local napa and picking up 4 cans of plasti-dip. Is a very tough type of spray on rubberized coating made to adhere to metal. You can the use it as a base for what ever color of spray paint you want. The reason I suggest this is because when you get bored of having orange rims (and you will eventually) you can peal off the plasti-dip and change the color with having to re-sand or mess about. Evorulesyourworld on here used plaits-dip on his rims and he loves them. Great part is it will not damage the rims, is very tough and easy to remove.

Vermont

I forgot to add, there is a pretty good and cheep place there in the springs that will power coat rims for $75 a rim. Can't remember their name but it was something metal works, and they are located near the wall-mart off 25the near down town.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
A paint stripper would probably be best because you really don't know what base paint he used and if you spray over it with a different base it may bubble up on you.

What ever you do you should still sand the surface, prime, paint and then clear for a flawless finish. Use the same base paint for all three prime, paint and clear. Do it on a nice dry day because humidity will make it milky if you go heavy on the coats. If it does milk up on you you can get rid of it with a heat gun. Any automotive paint should do. I am partial to much of the dupli-color products myself.

I recommend you use light coats and then make the last one heavier and use long flowing stokes.

As Vermont suggests your other option would be to have them professionally powder coated and for around $250 bucks, in the end it is not going to cost you much more by the time you get done buying stripper, spray paint and sand paper and time. There is or was a vendor here that does powder coating but I can't find him right now.

Last edited:

jswansti

Thanks for the advice! I really want to powder coat, but I have too many other expenses for the car this year to afford it, and I want this done by summer time. They aren't the rims currently on the car, so I have some tome to do it. My dad does a lot of spray painting and stuff for his various hobbies so he's gonna help me. He's awesome at getting even paint strokes and no bubbling or running. I've been told about plasti-dip by a few others and might go that route...just depends on availability of stuff around where I live. Im currently leaning towards holy's method mentioned above, which is what I had in mind originally. Sand down, clean with rubbing alcohol, sand anything left over, clean again, prime, paint, clear coat and done. I'll look into plasti dip a little more though.

jswansti

Last time I used paint thinner it was a mess, which is why I was gonna avoid it this time. I know its a bit of a lengthy effort for something that will have to be redone eventually either by myself or when I do get them powder coated, but I like trying new things first hand. When its all said and done I find satisfaction in the work I've done, granted I did it right :D Also why I like to try and do a lot of my own car work!