Grinder's OBP

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Dibond is a particular brand of aluminum-sandwiched PVC: "It is comprised of two pre-painted sheets of .012" aluminum with a solid polyethylene core." It's a lot lighter than a sheet of aluminium and mostly as rigid. Probably cheaper too! I wouldnt trust it if rallying, but I think it'll be good enough to ward off the occasional tire fragment or branch.

More info: Dibond, Nudo and im sure there are other brands.http://It is comprised of two pre-painted sheets of .012" aluminum with a solid polyethylene core

Grinder34

Track Monkey
One of the things I've been wanting for a while is a nice IAT gauge, but i didnt feel like tapping the IC itself. Well, i found the solution I plan on going with:

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=500&osCsid=5c2e35ce974ca0383bee46c502a9a430

Now i just need maddad to release their new 3-in-1!

In other news, I'm tired of looking at the pile of parts in my office, so I just ordered some gaskets, and I hope to start installing stuff in a week or two.

edit for later reference:

google "self sealing hose take off" or something like that. There are also silicone hoses with built in NPT taps like this one:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MIO-MMCP-25NPTBK

Last edited:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
After reading more, i decided i should start thinking about some bigger injectors. From what I've seen i've gotta narrow it down in a few regards:

1) Size, in ACTUAL flow rates
2) Good/bad spray patterns
3) Tuneability
4) Plug-n-play
5) Type of fuel it can run
6) and if all else is equal, price

The brands I can think of (with the aid of some searches) are:

Injector Dynamics (ID)
Deatchwerks (DW)
Five-O
Witch Hunter
Power Enterprises (PE)
RC Engineering
Agency Power
Denso
Sard
Fuel Injector Clinic (FIC)

For my purposes i'm on a stock turbo and have top-feeds. Ideally I'd love to have room to grow to a 1.5xtr and E85, but realistically that wont happen [for a long time].

I think i'll do a little research and then start a thread either asking for more info, or telling people what i've found. So far I haven't come across a good discussion of injector brands.

EDIT:
I decided to make a table out of it!

FlowPatternTunabilityCompatibilityFuelsPrice
Injector Dynamics (ID)
Deatchwerks (DW)
Five-O
Witch Hunter
Power Enterprises (PE)
RC Engineering
Agency Power
Denso
Sard
Fuel Injector Clinic (FIC)

Last edited:

microsnook

I like how you put so much research and time into everything and are doing it all with a budget. This is the way I want to go about my car :)

Nicely done

Td_d

Commander In Chief
I can't stress tuneability enough, especially if you intend to tune yourself, or adjust your tune following a pro-tune. From a time management and effort point of view, injectors with a comprehensive datasheet (latencies and flow) and experience / info out there on the web, make your life much easier.

Ask me how I know ;)

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Alright, so i met up with Vermont and had a VERY informative couple of hours. I learned a little bit about logging, and got a really good idea about where i need to go next: GAUGES.

My plan was to get the next MadDad 3-in-1 gauge, that was rumored to have oil pressure, AFR and temp (i'd use it for IAT). There are a few problems with that solution:
1) I don't know if the MadDad can datalog
2) I'm not sure it'll have an AFR
3) Still no official word about when it'll come out other than "this year."

I sent Rich (the owner of MadDad) and email asking him about those three issues, and I'm anxiously awaiting a response.

On a related note, i started looking into logging--specifically logging multiple non-OBDII signals, such as an AFR signal. If the MadDad (or any other gauge) has datalogging, it looks relatively straight forward to log that single signal. Where things are more hazy for me is when I want to start monitoring multiple signals.

Ideally I'd love to be able to log AFR and EGT, as well as possibly an IAT. It *appears* as if the Innovate SSI-4 can monitor and 4 0-5v signals that i give it. But i'm not sure that the MadDad is a 0-5v signal, or that it'll work like it does in my head! And i don't really like the idea of splicing wiring. At this point it sounds like a higher-end set of gauges that's designed from the ground up to do datalogging might be a better, albeit costly, option. Another potential option looks like the AEM AQ-1, but it's more expensive and potentially poses the same problems.

tl;dr Anyone know the best way to log several [potentially different] gauges at the same time?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
What a weekend.

I met up with Vermont to try to install a bunch of things on the car. Wellllll, we kind of fell behind and were royally screwed by my 1-piece header! The header is a one-piece AND 1.5-scroll. Combine those two, and there's literally no way to get the up-pipe portion of the header past the motor without lifting the motor significantly. Essentially, we spent all day to install a downpipe and an EBCS. We didnt get to the fuel pump, or any of the heat shielding.

Even what we did is problematic. I currently have an exhaust leak that i'm 90% sure is coming from the donut-gasket (or lack thereof). When installing the downpipe, i couldnt get the springbolts all the way though the flanges and the donut gasket, so i made an executive decision to leave the donut off. Thinking about it more, if the exhaust is flexing there at all (which it can easily do, thanks to spring bolts), of COURSE there wont be a good seal! I think i just installed things in the wrong order (see second paragraph here: link). I'm going to stop by the Subaru dealership and get a donut gasket after work today.

However, thats not the only issue. Right now it appears I'm only running mechanical boost pressure! I can hit maximum of about 7 PSI! I'm not sure what could've caused that--i'm hoping its a faulty EBCS. I plan on swapping the OEM unit back on temporarily and see if that fixes the problem. If it doesnt....i dont even know where to begin! I really hope we didnt fuck anything up on the motor/turbo/wastegate itself!

Does anyone know why I wouldnt hit boost targets?

Vermont

I had figured some thing was up with that ECBS, I don't think it is an issue of a broken one, but more of an issue of the hoses hooked up wrong. Reason I say this is that I remember having very much the same problem with mine after I installed it using grimmspeeds instructions. You might want to check out here: http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/images/HowSubaruFactoryBoostControlSystemWorksv109.pdf and see if we have it hooked up the right way. You should be running the 3-port interrupt style. What makes me very suspicious is that we are using different ports from one model of sti to the other, which honestly we should not be. As the function of the ports should be all the save irregardless of year of car. If you could send me a pick when you get the time, or better yet let me know when I can come over this week and I will swing by with some tools and fix this issue, along with this exhaust leek, heck we can even do your fuel pump if you want as well....

I am really sorry about Saturday man. I feel like a dick for just ditching out on you like that, but I was just out of time. Let me know when you have some free time and I will swing by though man, the hell if I am going to leave a job half finished.

35r

i can go in the garage and check mine if you need me to... im not running the 3rd port, but that should be the only difference.

melia

Bradles,

now i have questions about all these mods as you are 2 years of research ahead on your Masters is STI.

I would add some good tires as the next mod. it will yield better results than all your suspension mods combined,. Still running the v12s right? i didnt see tires in your list. maybe i missed it.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
exhaust leak fixed!

Turns out im a total idiot (and was in a rush) and forgot to torque down the manifold to the block.

Now onto the boost problem!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I flashed the OTS map (with certain codes deleted) any my boost is now on target! I still have a mild exhaust leak at the downpipe-midpipe connection, probably due to the lack of a donut gasket there!

I also dropped off my new trunk and GTC-200 to get painted today! It should be done by the weekend. The best part is the paint job here is less for a trunk and a wing than just the trunk at the last place i went.

I also talked to the guy there about the state of my current trunk, as it's covered with "crow's feet." He said the shop that originally painted it almost certainly has a lifetime warranty on the paint work (excluding chips and fading) so I should be able to take it back to them for a re-paint!

Last edited:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Vermont and I met up over the weekend and had another nice install day! Things, AGAIN, went much more slowly than anticipated. But we got new 1-step-colder spark plugs installed, a new panel filter, lots of heat shielding installed, fixed an exhaust leak, installed silicone intercooler piping, and we tried the fuel pump. It appears either I installed it incorrectly, or the pump is defective--im talking to DW right now about that issue.

In other news, I got 35r's old trunk painted and installed. I hate installing CF trunks, as they always take tweaking and fine tuning. But now that my old trunk is off, I swung by the original paint shop (where my OTHER trunk was painted) and they agreed to do a warranty re-paint on it.

I've still got the wideband sitting in a box, awaiting install but I'm really dreading it! Same with the oil pickup. :|

Vermont

Oil pick up will be fun, now the wide band.... Screw you on that one ;) I got my own wiring to do this weekend... :(

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I hate wiring. Also...for my first gauge i used that add-a-fuse thingie. I dont think i can add-a-fuse on another add-a-fuse...so whats the best way to get the power? Did i mention i suck at wiring?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I spent a few hours yesterday wiring gauges. I really hate that stuff. Mostly, because I can NEVER make it look neat. Also, when soldering i need 4 hands, and was only born with 2. But i think I got the LC-1 wired up, but in the process somehow disconnected my maddad, so it's no longer getting power. Tonight I'll rip the knee bolster out again and keep trying.

How do people do neat wiring jobs?? I'd love to learn.

Z1107

Practice... lots of practice.

!WARNING! This poster is not liable for any person being butthurt by comments. Protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act for being somewhat retarded! ;)