Grinder's OBP

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I've barely driven it in the last few years. I have projects that I've been wanting to do to it for years, and just don't have the time to get done. Having three cars when living downtown, is a real pain; competitive parking mixed with twice-weekly street cleanings are super annoying.

Anyways, do you think my price is high? low? about right? I've only had one person inquire, and we were ready to do a pre-purchase before he had a change of heart.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Sad news indeed. Price sounds like it's in the right ball game compared to what I've been seeing lately. GLWS, do what you have to do and best of luck on your future endeavors! Just don't leave the forum because then I will be truly upset.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Sorry to see her go!

I thought about selling my STi. That was until I followed a bunch of Porsche's and GTR's to a meet in westchester county NY. I'm not impressed by anything else to be honest.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Thanks for coming back 6 months later. Any updates on life? :D

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Welllll, a short update. (I'm procrastinating since I have a final paper due tomorrow :))

First, the STI is sold. It went to a seemingly deserving college kid out in Boulder. The process of selling a car out-of-state is quite annoying, but everything worked out ok in the end. But dealing with shipping, escrow agreement, contingencies, etc... was a real pain in my ass.

I've taken a new position within my company that has me working in an area without internet access, so I can't get on to read the forums as often as I'd like. I'm also just about to start my last semester of my MBA program, which has made sure that I don't have any free time. That was part of the reason I sold the STI: I didn't have time to tinker and drive it like I used to. In the mean time, it was just accumulating parking tickets and depreciating. I may [soon] find myself back in a Subaru, but until classes are over and the rest of my life is figured out, the timing was right to sell.

I'm also waiting to hear back about a position at FCA. I've got my fingers crossed, but something new is always a little scary. First, it would require moving to Detroit, when my network and family is in the DC area. Second, I'm not sure what it'll pay. I want to get into the automotive industry, but I dont know how big of a pay cut I'd be willing to take to move to detroit. I didn't love detroit when I was there for a day. And the FCA offices are really far out (vs Ford or GM). I like my city living!

I do like the idea of a FCA discount, but pretty much anything they make will either be RWD (bad for Detroit) or too expensive given the presumed pay cut. But Alfa has some enticing cars right now! But, of course, after just selling the Subaru, I may be faced with moving to a super snowy area with only a RWD car not well suited to snow and salt.

I'm going to do my best to stay active here (I know, I've been bad lately...one semester left!). It'll take me a while to get current on who's-who-in-the-zoo, and what Subaru has been up to. But i'll be here!

Ok, now back to work!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Well, good luck on these near future endeavors. Go out as strong as possible in this last semester. If you do end up moving to Detroit, you'll have a few local pals! [MENTION=662]Batmobile_Engage[/MENTION] [MENTION=3416]WRB_STi[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3401]livid_wrx_[/MENTION]. I'm only about 2-3 hours away from Detroit as well. :tup:

Welllll, a short update. (I'm procrastinating since I have a final paper due tomorrow :))

First, the STI is sold. It went to a seemingly deserving college kid out in Boulder. The process of selling a car out-of-state is quite annoying, but everything worked out ok in the end. But dealing with shipping, escrow agreement, contingencies, etc... was a real pain in my ass.

I've taken a new position within my company that has me working in an area without internet access, so I can't get on to read the forums as often as I'd like. I'm also just about to start my last semester of my MBA program, which has made sure that I don't have any free time. That was part of the reason I sold the STI: I didn't have time to tinker and drive it like I used to. In the mean time, it was just accumulating parking tickets and depreciating. I may [soon] find myself back in a Subaru, but until classes are over and the rest of my life is figured out, the timing was right to sell.

I'm also waiting to hear back about a position at FCA. I've got my fingers crossed, but something new is always a little scary. First, it would require moving to Detroit, when my network and family is in the DC area. Second, I'm not sure what it'll pay. I want to get into the automotive industry, but I dont know how big of a pay cut I'd be willing to take to move to detroit. I didn't love detroit when I was there for a day. And the FCA offices are really far out (vs Ford or GM). I like my city living!

I do like the idea of a FCA discount, but pretty much anything they make will either be RWD (bad for Detroit) or too expensive given the presumed pay cut. But Alfa has some enticing cars right now! But, of course, after just selling the Subaru, I may be faced with moving to a super snowy area with only a RWD car not well suited to snow and salt.

I'm going to do my best to stay active here (I know, I've been bad lately...one semester left!). It'll take me a while to get current on who's-who-in-the-zoo, and what Subaru has been up to. But i'll be here!

Ok, now back to work!

Glad to hear your doing well. Stay in touch when you can. I know college can be a pain. However, one thing I did learn while at college is that you don't get any free time, but once its over and you get settled you still don't get time. That being said you only get time for what you make time for. So DON'T FORGET TO MAKE TIME FOR YOUR SELF. On another note best of luck with the new position, if it pans out, if not it was not meant to be.

However, getting your foot in the door is often the most difficult part of getting into the filed you want to be in. Once you are in a field you like and actually enjoy you eventually find you way and stuff works work. If you find your self no doing well at said position then you weren't meant to be there and move on. Best of luck and keep in touch.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
FCA is kind of far away from the rest of the metro area, but there are nice places to live in that area as well, so you may not need a long commute. As for cost of living and everything, I'm sure it's lower than the DC area, but I don't think you'd necessarily have to take a pay cut. What is it that you do? I can always keep my eyes and ears open for anything that might suit you.

Let me know if you have any questions I can help you out with. If I can't answer them, my wife should be able to, as she grew up in this area and also works in automotive.

Last edited:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Yeah, I'm trying to change roles AND industries. The double-change is a killer! My background is engineering, but I havent done "engineering" since I graduated. I'm trying to get into marketing/strategy type roles. What company does your girlfriend work for, and does she know anyone that's in a hiring-type role for marketing/strategy? If so, i'd definitely shoot over a resume and cover letter and cross my fingers!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Sheesh, nearly THREE years since you've given us an update on the M5, slacker!

-How many miles are on the car now?
-How many of those miles have you driven?
-Have there been any aspects of owning an M5 that you weren't aware of prior to ownership?
-Have you endured any difficulties during ownership in any aspect?
-What is your average fuel economy?
-How do you normally drive the car? (example: 90% civilized, 10% spirited)
-Any obscenely expensive maintenance?
-Any repairs that were extremely inexpensive, much to your surprise?

To close out the interrogation, any other tidbits or fun facts that a non-owner wouldn't know about the car that you've discovered since you've taken ownership of an M5?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Yeah, I'm trying to change roles AND industries. The double-change is a killer! My background is engineering, but I havent done "engineering" since I graduated. I'm trying to get into marketing/strategy type roles. What company does your girlfriend work for, and does she know anyone that's in a hiring-type role for marketing/strategy? If so, i'd definitely shoot over a resume and cover letter and cross my fingers!
I did PM you about this at the time, right?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

U_butthurt_sti

Re: Grinder's 07 OBP

Ooooo I wish I had gotten an 07. But an 04 works for me. Sadly (I guess) I like the weird in between differences. Wheels are a pain to find in 5x100. And one day I?ll get a 07 trans. One day...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk