Public Service Announcement: Those of you with stainless fuel lines ENTER

I feel like such an idiot for over looking this and hopefully if anyone else has this will save some headaches. If you have braided stainless lines in your engine bay that are touching ANYTHING they will act like little saws and slowly cut their way through just about whatever they contact. Rubber hoses, wires, plastic bits, even the intake manifold (though just cosmetic) will all be damaged by the friction of the steel braided casing rubbing up against them due to the engine vibrating. A simple fix for this is spending $8 on a foot or so of rubber hose that's ID is about the same size as the the steel lines. Simply cut a couple inches for areas that contact anything then slit one side so that you can pop it over the fuel line. Done.

Thanks to Neil at Cobb for pointing this out and saving me from replacing several AOS/ breather hoses and vacuum lines.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Have you seen the stuff Edwin is talking about... I don't think I will ever use anything else. It's pretty awesome stuff... Kinda looks like a big black foreskin though. :tup:

Have you seen the stuff Edwin is talking about... I don't think I will ever use anything else. It's pretty awesome stuff... Kinda looks like a big black foreskin though. :tup:

:rofl:

Yeah I think I've seen it. I'm not about to mess with my fuel lines again. My fix took 5 min to install and can't even really even be seen since the areas that rub are out of sight for the most part. What's most important is that people don't just leave them bare rubbing up against stuff.

Underhood abrasions, cuts, tears are a big issue. When one is changing from stock that should be a standard procedure, good visual inspection to make sure wires, lines, hoses, clamps, etc are not near contact area's. When I worked for a major manufacturer that was one of the complete vehicle validation steps, good underhood visual inspection. You would be surprised at what the trained eye can see.