External Fuel Pump Instalation

Alright, I assume there are some guys here running real fuel systems with external pumps. I need some help wiring my A-1000, I hate anything electrical and I can not find a schematic for the OEM fuel pump controller in the service manual so I am a bit stuck right now. The goal hear is to have it cycle like the in tank pump (prime then shut off when cranking) I dont want to just wire it to run constantly, that I can do easily.

I found a post by engineerx on NASIOC with the following pictures:

hydra-fuelab4s.jpg

relay_connections.jpg

What I need help with is if anyone knows if the 2011 pump controller wiring is the same as this. If so, what I take from the pics is the two wires that go to the pump controller get wired to terminals 85 and 86 (doesn't matter which, but does anyone know which is the positive wire?), terminal 30 goes to the battery and terminal 87 goes to the positive terminal on the A-1000.

If that is correct, this will allow the A-1000 to be controlled the same as the in tank pump (prime and shut off when cranking) and my wiring will look like the following:

A-1000WiringIdea.png

Thanks for the help! and if you have any suggestions for a better way to wire it up let me know.

I'll have to see if I can find the wiring diagram. I'll probably do something similar with my setup... What I will say is you probably should only use the controller wire for that relay. I would run a seperate larger gauge wire straight from the battery to run that pump. Double check, but plenty of the higher flowing pumps need a rewire to actually flow what they advertize. I know the DW300 and my Aeromotive 340 both need a 14V large gauge power wire run to a relay for them to actually go into their real high mode.

The controller wire only activates the relay, 10GA wire goes to the relay from the battery then to the pump.

Alright, found the wiring diagram (earlier fail on my part), I am assuming the two wires going to the in tank fuel pump are the ones that are in the picture above and thus go to the 85 and 86 terminals on the relay, that will activate the relay when the OEM pump is powered thus activating the external pump from the battery power and the external pump will run at the same time as the In tank?

I fucking hate wiring!

FuelPumpFactoryWiring.png

Last edited:
well cant gat a definitive answer anywhere ... i guess Ill take out the multimeter and test it out. and post the results but it makes sense to me.

Not yet, I will soon once I actually order my in tank and put it in. I need to put a battery in the car too and test the wires but I am 95% positive that wires 6 and 7 off the pump control unit are the ones to switch the relay you would need to wire the pump directly to the battery.

Ill look at my 04 wiring harness tommrow but the A-1000 that was in my 04 STi didnt have a relay. It was connected to the stock fuel pump wire and ran just fine.

Now, with higher HP applications, the 12 Volt system aint gonna work. Heres what I pulled from the Aeromotive site: Flows 700 lbs. per hour @ 13.5 Volts & 45 PSI
Ill see what wires was cut on mine, that will be your ignition 12 V source, the batter power one is self explanitory as well as the one to the pump itself. As for the negative, Id run a ground to the body and the terminal on the relay.

That would be helpful.

I think the above info is correct i just cant test the wires right now. If not answer is posted when I find out for sure Ill make sure to post how I did it though.

Found something:
http://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced Engine Tuning/fuel pump relay.html

I may just have to take a picture of something to throw on here for you. I know what wire is the power wire for the frikin fuel pump. IDK if this will help you, but it might.

Yep, thats basically the same as the one on NASIOC exept it grounds the relay switch rather than connecting it to the ground side of the pump wiring.

What would the wires read? I can pop my back seat out and test the pin out. I want to reside my pump ASAP anyway.

What I want to see is what those two wires read when you turn the key on. The power to the pump should read 12volts when you normally hear the pump prime and then it should go to zere when it cranks, then come back on to 12 after it cranks and is running. That should let the External pump behave in the same way as the stock one while being powered directly by the battery power.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Since this thread is full of WIN I added it to the How-To table of contents :tup:

What do you mean? I have an extra upper hangar to modify. I'll be using fast Freddie's crack at a double pumper thread from EVOM as a guide on making my own double pumper. The large part of this is the bulkhead fittings.

Oh I thought you had the full blown hanger. I know of a company coming out with a modified housing for single and dual pumps that can be used to run AN lines.

They may or man not have some bulkhead fittings that are perfect for the job ;)

I'm trying to get to it, but other things are coming up when it comes to work and getting out of the army that have been consuming my time. I'll post up when I can... I know I can pull out my back seat and show you which wires in the harness are positive and negative for the fuel pump because mine were already tapped for directly powering the pump in an effort to remove crappy fuel I had.

I know which the pos and neg are, I just want to be sure they operate the way that I think they do so that the external pump will do the same. I really dont have any doubt that the original posts are correct I just hate threads that arent finished lol. I just need to post up my wiring when I am done.

PM me or text me about that stuff. I've got some things I'm working on currently. And I also hate having unfinished projects. I want my holset on my car so bad....

I have a link Ill PM you from home and some measurements of the fittings. 5/16th barb to -6AN Bulkhead fittings. Should work great for anyone using a surge tank or wanting to run AN line to the front or I have adaptors to connect to the hard line. Fully configurable and a fraction of the $500 they want for the Full Blown one.

All my wiring and fuel lines are ordered so hopefully if it shows up by tomorrow I can update this with how I did it. If not it wont be until the following week since I will be out of town all next week.

IMG_0692.jpg

Rear Mounted Battery.

Fuel Lines are here, looks like the wiring wont make it here for this weekend so it will have to wait.

IMG_0448.jpg

I didnt realize element made one. I didnt get much done on it last weekend and Im in new york this week for work so I hope to get some work done with it all this weekend when Im back.