HOW TO: RWD Conversion [STI]

04JDMSTI

I do not advise people to take this task on based on the small chance of being successful or failing. This
Requires a experienced welder and precision with it. Once you do this you will not be able to go back
UNLESS you can purchase a new OEM Center Differential.

This is a How To: guide on removing your center diff, welding, and reinstalling in your Subaru.

Tools Needed:
-Socket Wrench
-17mm socket
-14mm socket
-12mm socket
-10mm socket
-Rubber Mallet
-Needle Nose Plyers
-1/4 Punch
-Mig Welder 150+ or Tig

50f0f4e0.jpg

Step 1: Remove Turboback exhaust [Downpipe is scattered somewhere else]

2b90710d.jpg

Step 2:Remove crossmember holding the transmission.

resize_0014.jpg

Step 3: Remove shifter linkage[you will need a 1/4 for the roll pin]

resize_0028.jpg

resize_0031.jpg

resize_0024.jpg

Step 4: Remove driveshaft [1st half] by removing the Yoke that is held with 2 bolts and the driveshaft is held with 4 bolts. All 14mm.

DRIVESHAFT.jpg

3de77674.jpg

Step 5: Remove all 14mm bolts holding the transfercase tail housing, this may require a rubber mallet to pop it off. Also remove the sensor that is held
with a small tab inside the connector. Then the center diff. will smoothly pull of the Driven shaft of the transmission.

1d3ab6a0.jpg

21AB1857.jpg

Step 6: Take apart the center diff by removing the C lip holding in the top plate. Just use a flathead for this. Remove all the clutch packs ontop and the main spline gear directly in the middle.
So when you have nothing left ontop you will just see those little spline gears[spider gears]

210E0559.jpg

AE968145.jpg

0cdfe23b.jpg
[be sure to remove all the clutch disks]
df9f6e76.jpg

Step 7: Now that the internals ontop are gone inside of the center diff. spin the inside piece so that it cover sup the 4 holes around the center diff. and tack weld in star formation. Also be sure to put the C clip back into place to hold the unit together. ***BE SURE THE DIFFERENTIAL IS INSIDE THE TAILHOUSING LINED UP ON THE SPLINE SO ITS CENTER**** after tack welding in a star formation 5 times you can begin to put a massive tack weld to fill
in the hole. Once your are down grind down anything sticking out.

B2ACFA5D.jpg

32AD13AB.jpg

0144f23c.jpg

286e1c6a.jpg

21d66010.jpg

I apologize if some pictures are not in order but I am sure you all get the idea! That is basically everything you have to do. There are pictures in here I do not take credit for
that have came from TiC Concept for installing a shortshifter. Once everything is welded up you can now put everything back together the way it came apart. I did not plan on making
a HOW TO so I do not have the best of pictures. Hope you all enjoy!

End result!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4wE4XCayHE&list=UU7k43_l3wzcM9NKq4OAqLHA&index=1&feature=plcp

477A2A42.jpg

Last edited:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I understand mechanically, but what about all those other DCCD electronics? I'd think it'd keep trying to send power to the front wheels and not be able to.

04JDMSTI

I understand mechanically, but what about all those other DCCD electronics? I'd think it'd keep trying to send power to the front wheels and not be able to.

Nope I just left it as is. You could pull the fuse for it if you want too. Only thing that has happend is a CEL. The way it works is there is a giant magnent on the back of the center diff and that is what pulls the plates to make the center diff work. Everything is working mechanically now, instead of electronically.

c1a7815c.jpg

3181aa4a.jpg

4afb3671.jpg

They way it works is, You have your main shaft [power from motor] and your driven shaft[powers the rear diff], Now the Driven shaft is hollow, this is where the inner shaft is. The inner shaft is what
spins the front differential. Now inside the center diff, the small spline gear I removed spins that inner shaft, that completely stops all types of transfer of power. Welding the center diff is what makes the center diff a solid unit and you can pretend it is a "extention" to the transfer gears. Because normally, the center diff. works as two pieces. Now the magnent is what transfer the power, With the diff welded, makes the magnent a defective unit and it can not do anything. You can disconnect it if you want or cut it. I left it in incase for future replacement of the center diff. No powert can or will be delivered to the front.

Last edited:

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
I understand now :tup:

So do you still leave the front axles in place? They just don't do anything?

Nope I just left it as is. You could pull the fuse for it if you want too. Only thing that has happend is a CEL. The way it works is there is a giant magnent on the back of the center diff and that is what pulls the plates to make the center diff work. Everything is working mechanically now, instead of electronically.

c1a7815c.jpg

3181aa4a.jpg

4afb3671.jpg

They way it works is, You have your main shaft [power from motor] and your driven shaft[powers the rear diff], Now the Driven shaft is hollow, this is where the inner shaft is. The inner shaft is what
spins the front differential. Now inside the center diff, the small spline gear I removed spins that inner shaft, that completely stops all types of transfer of power. Welding the center diff is what makes the center diff a solid unit and you can pretend it is a "extention" to the transfer gears. Because normally, the center diff. works as two pieces. Now the magnent is what transfer the power, With the diff welded, makes the magnent a defective unit and it can not do anything. You can disconnect it if you want or cut it. I left it in incase for future replacement of the center diff. No powert can or will be delivered to the front.

NZV8STi03

I believe you can buy a centre diff tube that achieves the same thing from PBMS if you didn't want to destroy the diff... Have you broken the welds that hold it all together? Or have they held up?

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
[MENTION=94]04JDMSTI[/MENTION] any update on this?

Thanks friend. ?

?Join us as Lifetime Platinum Member today!?