So who's owned an Alfa?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I'm a big BBC Top Gear fan, and I admit I'm curious about who meets their criteria for a "True Petrolhead" by having owned an Alfa?

I'd love to hear all about it, as I know they're quite tempestuous.

Vermont

The problem with that is that Alfa Romao does not sell here in the states. If I remember right Alfa pulled out of the u.s. market some time in the 70s and since then we haven't been able to buy them. Also even if we could buy Alfa's here in the states I wouldn't bother with buying one. Even though they supposedly handle good and are well balanced over all, their lack of reliability and poor power out put are a huge turn off from them for me. I would say there is no real one way to be a "petrol head". After all on that note the muscle car guys would be disqualified since I highly doubt you would ever see a mustang guy who is used to smashing the 1320 in the sub 10s, going out on some twisty mountain roads in an Alfa spyder....

It's not what car you drive or own that matters, but rather your feelings and passion that you hold for your car that matters. After all would you call the honda civic guys who drop $20k and invest 3 years into building it non gear heads?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
They must've pulled out in the 90s or later. I used to "own" an 1989 Alfa Milano (Called the Alfa 75 abroad). It was definitely a bit down on power, and reliability was annoying, to say the least. Eventually we got it sorted out, supercharged it and made it into a nice track car! I've got lots of good memories with the car. Not to bring up clarkson TOO much, but during one episode he said that the 3.0L V6 out of the Milano (and GTV) was his favorite engine of all time. The engine didn't really wow me, but the car won me over in the end!

I just thought there might be a few people on here with a passion for Alfas!

And yeah, theres definitely more than one way to qualify as motorhead in my book.

Td_d

Commander In Chief
We've got them here - my brother had a 159 some years back, and my brother in law had a more recent jtd - endless hassles. They're absolutely shit in terms of reliability.

Highlander395

I'm gonna bump an old thread... I have an Alfa in my garage, which becomes 25y old this summer :)

IMG_0553.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

I absolutely love that car!! It has a boxer engine on carbs, sound gives me goosebumps :) It will be a project car, full restoration + 1.7 16V swap (boxer as well)

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Which one is that? It looks a lot like the 75/Milano i'm used to, but maybe a tiny bit difference.

Here's me and ours:

attachment.php

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Wtffff you guys have alfas?!?!

*mind blown*

Grinder34

Track Monkey
"Mine" wasnt actually mine. It was a SAE club car at school. But I was largely responsible for it, and put in quite a few seat and wrench hours...so I'll take credit!

God, maybe I should start up a thread of all the crazy shit that happened with the car.

attachment.php

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
"Mine" wasnt actually mine. It was a SAE club car at school. But I was largely responsible for it, and put in quite a few seat and wrench hours...so I'll take credit!

God, maybe I should start up a thread of all the crazy shit that happened with the car.

attachment.php

Yes please do!!!! Also experience with track and other stories as well. Im very interested and eager to read about everything you have to say!!!!!

Pics if you have them and it looks to be that way. Looks like i might be in for a treat!!! :D

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Yes please do!!!! Also experience with track and other stories as well. Im very interested and eager to read about everything you have to say!!!!!

Pics if you have them and it looks to be that way. Looks like i might be in for a treat!!! :D

Man, its been almost a decade since i was in the car. Remind me and I'll try to make a thread about it in the cars you've loved and lost.

One of the "highlights" was a douchetard who dropped a screw down the IM and didnt tell anyone until we tried to turn it over. :banghead:

And one of my fav pics of the ol' girl...

IMGP4371.JPG

That was our "competition"

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Ok yeah. Im def reminding your ass! :lmao: i wanna hear!!!!

Highlander395

I'll post full story on the 33, i'm collecting some pictures. Same on the 75's. The 33 is awesome to drive, the 75 is too 'common' for me :p

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Awesome!!!! Cant wait!

It's not what car you drive or own that matters, but rather your feelings and passion that you hold for your car that matters. After all would you call the honda civic guys who drop $20k and invest 3 years into building it non gear heads?

Nah, I would call them pro USLMRA Drivers. Haha!