What to pack for an Autox

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Hey guys, after the post seen below I think we need a quick little autox How to:

What does everyone bring to an event? We'll compile a nice little list of everything so noobs can figure out what to bring to their first autox or remind the veteran what he/she always forgets.

Things to Bring:
1.) yourself
2.) your car or a friends car
3.) WATER, More Water, Maybe some Gaterade/Sports Drink
4.) Skinny Shoes for driving, Comfy Shoes for walking/running
5.) Proper Clothing, if you burn (like me) wear long sleeves and jeans. If you overheat wear short sleeves, shorts.
6.) Bring rain gear (umbrella, poncho, quality rain suit, trash bags for your stuff)
7.) Water Proof Box that fits in trunk/hatch
8.) Humility you will get humiliated by someone in a slower car, it's ok you weren't the only one they beat. :lol:

What to put in your Water Proof Box:
1.) Extra Fluids for the car (Oil, Water, Brake Fluid) Anything that you may need to top off/bleed
2.) Socket Set
3.) Screw Drivers
4.) Rain Suit
5.) Spare Shoes
6.) Camera Equipment
7.) Tire Pressure Gauge
8.) Access Port
9.) Extra Lug Nuts
10.) Torque Wrench
11.) Breaker Bar

This is just some of the stuff I bring what do you guys bring? Also what do you guys bring for sockets (if you only could bring a few).

I bring 2 separate socket sets so I don't remember what socks I need since I have them all in nice little boxes. :lol:

Also anything else you guys bring post it up and we'll add it to the list. :D

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
You forgot the samicthes.

I get pretty hungy at these things.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Holy always thinking about food, lol!

Paul.c

Since I have a GR hatch I can carry a large stanley brand tough box. It has wheels and extendable handle. Inside that box is the following:
Helmet
Spare tire
Jack and accessories
Slime tire sealant
Tire patches and patch tools
Small 12v compressor(slime brand)
Tire pressure gauge
3 beach towels
5-10 shop towels
Rain suit
Spare shoes
Change of clothes
Military MREs(3)
Gerber multi tool
Users manual
32 pack of water (for the whole season so it shrinks as the year goes on)
Chalk
Digital camera

I also carry a pretty good sized cooler.

Some ideas for when it is hot are:
right before you go shag cones fill your pockets with ice
Bring 2-3 bottles of water
Soak your hat in cold water or put a few ice cubes on your dome under your hat
Cover your neck with a towel
Put some ice in a towel and wrap it around your neck
Drink a lot of water and alternate between water and Gatorade. But more water.

In TX keeping cool is very important. Just like your car has an operating temp so do you. Staying hydrated and cool will help you focus and react quicker.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Paul I'll add some if that to the list. I'll add section for "Keeping you cool" as you've got some really good ideas.

I bring:

-Tire pressure gauge
-Breaker bar with lug key
-Water
-Helmet
-Air tank
-Hat
-Sun screen
-Rain suit
-Numbers and tape
-3 zipties

That is all. I'll wear my driving shoes to the event and I keep my sunglasses in my car. I like to take this minimalist approach because I feel I create a greater sense of community.... You know that good feeling you get when you loan someone your tool so they can pass tech inspection at the last minuite? I let people experience that warm fuzzy feeling by never having tools with me. :lol:

Paul.c

I let people experience that warm fuzzy feeling by never having tools with me. :lol:

Lol........you're a tool:)

Teh clap, yes I am serious about hydration. It is sooooo important and a lot of people don't really take it seriously. Jared likes to make fun of me and my hats.........I am going to laugh when he passes out and I have to race his car for him.

Lol........you're a tool:)

Teh clap, yes I am serious about hydration. It is sooooo important and a lot of people don't really take it seriously. Jared likes to make fun of me and my hats.........I am going to laugh when he passes out and I have to race his car for him.

Lol. My black Subaru hat is teh best.... especially in 100+ degree direct sub light. It never turns into a frying pan on my head... :lol:

I'm going to wager that your hydration paranoia stems from your military experience and time in hell... I mean the middle east. The climates are similar though I hear hell is a few degrees cooler.

I always make sure to have enough water as well. But this is mostly because I sweat like a 400lb 10 year old climbing the rope in gym... I'm also stumble fuck drunk until about 3 hours prior to the events and need water to cleanse my poor body. :lol:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Geese guys I'm gonna need to by a trailer and pay someone to haul it to the track for me. Wait a minute. If I do that I could sell pop and hot-dogs, lol. Holy cows I thought I only needed my car.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Damm, see Jared gonna need that trailer, lol!

Paul.c

Now, this is just a suggested list of items. You CAN show up to auto x with nothing but you and your car. It just helps to be prepared.

Paul.c

I just thought of another item to add to the list:

A garden sprayer, to cool down your tires and intercooler between runs.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I just thought of another item to add to the list:

A garden sprayer, to cool down your tires and intercooler between runs.

Really?

BadlandsRacer

Spraying the intercooler, definitely! Spraying tires really depends on the tire, but a lot of the really soft ones can get TOO hot.

I've watered down my StarSpecs pretty regularly when it's really hot out.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Thanks for the information. I will pack a nice bag for the track!