Status
Not open for further replies.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
The AFR's are well with in 1% of target. Looks pretty smooth to me. As to the difference... You need to compare this dyno plot to another identical car with out the suggested mods and it should be done under the same exact circumstances and by the same tuner.

In other words your guess is a s good as mine.

The better question to ask is why do people choose to use a specific mod. In this case I would guess better flow and more consistent boost control. Personally I would have suggested the end user spend his money on other mods but you know what... The results speak for themselves.
I know whose car this is now. Does his turbo have a crack?

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
If I knew it did I wouldn't tune it. Besides he is external waste gate so I can only assume he has the original waste gate blocked off or welded.

Whose car? Wobbly AFR!

What kind of difference does an aftermaket uppipe and ewg make on a stock turbo?
@Alin the AFR looks wobbly because the graph is showing a high resolution, like George mentioned it is only varying by a few tenths of AFR points throughout the pull. As for the difference in aftermarket uppipe and ewg, there really isn't none for a stock turbo. Maybe a few hundred rpm on spool, but nothing worth noting. The ewg is really good at controlling boost though, and ridding creep. I received the ewg setup and intake at a price that was basically given to me so that's why I purchased them. Here in the near future, after my suspension upgrades, I will go bigger turbo, TMIC, injectors, headers, and supporting mods so these upgrades will only help when I go bigger.
@HolyCrapItsFast , I want to thank you for your time during this process! You are a very professional, and knowledgeable tuner. You made this process seemless and easy compared to my last E-Tuner. The car continues to run strong and pull smooth. I can't wait to work with you some more. Thanks again.

Edit: I will be posting my own virtual dyno later. I had used the VD on my stage 1 tune before I began this process, so this will really show you the differences in the upgrade to stage 2 +ewg.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
@Alin the AFR looks wobbly because the graph is showing a high resolution, like George mentioned it is only varying by a few tenths of AFR points throughout the pull. As for the difference in aftermarket uppipe and ewg, there really isn't none for a stock turbo. Maybe a few hundred rpm on spool, but nothing worth noting. The ewg is really good at controlling boost though, and ridding creep. I received the ewg setup and intake at a price that was basically given to me so that's why I purchased them. Here in the near future, after my suspension upgrades, I will go bigger turbo, TMIC, injectors, headers, and supporting mods so these upgrades will only help when I go bigger.
@HolyCrapItsFast , I want to thank you for your time during this process! You are a very professional, and knowledgeable tuner. You made this process seemless and easy compared to my last E-Tuner. The car continues to run strong and pull smooth. I can't wait to work with you some more. Thanks again.

Edit: I will be posting my own virtual dyno later. I had used the VD on my stage 1 tune before I began this process, so this will really show you the differences in the upgrade to stage 2 +ewg.

Glad I could help out!:D

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
[MENTION=3929]zodiac103[/MENTION] go to the 1st page of this post. :)

sacnvz

ugh, getting that urge to mod and tune. before I jump into something, will tuning effect smog checks? at the most I would probably just get a short ram intake.

I would say no you should be fine as long as you retain your cats. An intake should be fine as well, But I haven't lived in California in a few years and don't know if they made any restrictions concerning changing of the intake. 10 years ago I had intake and exhaust and I never had any problems.

ugh, getting that urge to mod and tune. before I jump into something, will tuning effect smog checks? at the most I would probably just get a short ram intake.

I Lived in SD and was able to get away with it for a while until a motorcycle cop (x wrx owner) saw my FMIC and gave me a ref ticket.

If I was still in cali I would just leave stock Air box and then invest in a good Down Pipe and quiet exhaust along with a fuel pump and cob access port with a protune.

You'll just have to put Stock DP back on and revert back to stock tune for the smog check.

Not to terrible to do and you should be able to hit around 300 whp & torque.

sacnvz

I Lived in SD and was able to get away with it for a while until a motorcycle cop (x wrx owner) saw my FMIC and gave me a ref ticket.

If I was still in cali I would just leave stock Air box and then invest in a good Down Pipe and quiet exhaust along with a fuel pump and cob access port with a protune.

You'll just have to put Stock DP back on and revert back to stock tune for the smog check.

Yeah, after my post on 9/20 I started my research on the basic mods. I found that the stock airbox is actually really good. So the plan for the engine is to get the Cobb AP first then a down pipe. I"m still looking into what exhaust system to get. But before all that I'm ordering this week a transmission mount, kartboy short shifter with the bushings. Then next month I'm thinking swaybars.

Yeah, after my post on 9/20 I started my research on the basic mods. I found that the stock airbox is actually really good. So the plan for the engine is to get the Cobb AP first then a down pipe. I"m still looking into what exhaust system to get. But before all that I'm ordering this week a transmission mount, kartboy short shifter with the bushings. Then next month I'm thinking swaybars.

Yep a replacement panel filter, DP, and low pro exhaust fuel pump with a tune will make your car quick enough then just start investing in suspension.

P.S. Don't do a blow off valve

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
[MENTION=4241]Smee_STI[/MENTION]

I just wanted to chime in about Cali rules with aftermarket parts, its pretty strict period and it honestly sucks living there haha. I'm kinda thankful I moved out and now I'll have more freedom to mod and don't need to worry about smog till after 10 years here! However since I have no experience on how they run things here for smog, I'll be venturing into the unknown till I run into someone here that knows more.

If you were going to do (for example) aftermarket intake. You can actually get a Cobb SF Intake as it's CARB legal, which you can get a sticker for so you can pass visual smog inspection. This sticker gets slapped onto the intake itself where ever you like. So basically your going to on the hunt for CARB(50 state) legal parts, which for the most part are rare. But of course your bound to find people whom are knowledgeable that know your going to need a tune for that new intake installed, which wouldn't be legal. I'm sure reverting back to stock tune wont hurt anything during the test, set it to intelligent mode lol. But still, its best to revert to stock when bringing it back in for smog every two years if I recall correctly after it has past 5 year mark of age.

So anything that they can see during visual inspection will get you failed, even if you pass the smog numbers. Stuff like the catch can/AOS, turbo inlet, fmic, headers, etc. But what they can't see they can't really ding ya for. So if you can get covers for your stuff, you can sometimes get away with it. As for downpipes, some may let it slide as long its catted. It's honestly a hassle to stay modded after that 5 year mark when smog time rolls around, just imagine the rx7 community lol. Some groups eventually find hook ups to get em to pass regardless what they have, risky but lucky them.

I just wanted to chime in about Cali rules with aftermarket parts, its pretty strict period and it honestly sucks living there haha. I'm kinda thankful I moved out and now I'll have more freedom to mod and don't need to worry about smog till after 10 years here! However since I have no experience on how they run things here for smog, I'll be venturing into the unknown till I run into someone here that knows more.

If you were going to do (for example) aftermarket intake. You can actually get a Cobb SF Intake as it's CARB legal, which you can get a sticker for so you can pass visual smog inspection. This sticker gets slapped onto the intake itself where ever you like. So basically your going to on the hunt for CARB(50 state) legal parts, which for the most part are rare. But of course your bound to find people whom are knowledgeable that know your going to need a tune for that new intake installed, which wouldn't be legal. I'm sure reverting back to stock tune wont hurt anything during the test, set it to intelligent mode lol. But still, its best to revert to stock when bringing it back in for smog every two years if I recall correctly after it has past 5 year mark of age.

So anything that they can see during visual inspection will get you failed, even if you pass the smog numbers. Stuff like the catch can/AOS, turbo inlet, fmic, headers, etc. But what they can't see they can't really ding ya for. So if you can get covers for your stuff, you can sometimes get away with it. As for downpipes, some may let it slide as long its catted. It's honestly a hassle to stay modded after that 5 year mark when smog time rolls around, just imagine the rx7 community lol. Some groups eventually find hook ups to get em to pass regardless what they have, risky but lucky them.

Yes I'm happy i moved from CA as well.

To be honest with you the CARB approved modifications will still get you tickets and you will new to visit the smog referee to get cleared. Allot of the companies advertise their items as CARB approved and in reality they are just pending and you will rarely get a CARB approved sticker for that item.

When I asked the referee about the CARB approved items he said you have to have the paperwork with a visual picture of the exact item saying its approved and also the sticker on the item but in reality an officer is going to just ticket you and send you to the referee.

What I found odd was that the referee said if you keep the stock evap system (PCV) intact you technically can have a FMIC. He even said you can have the systems that spray NOS or CO2 across them to cool them since theirs gray laws on the FMIC and Spayers.

Yea, I'm quite aware of pending stickers that don't count, my AEM has that on it right now lol. But that doesn't pass visual, my smog guy said he's used to seeing most AEM's legal but not the V2 intake I had. He just told me to come back with the stock intake on. Boy I felt my car suffocating on the stock intake Lol! Had my foot to the floor and it didnt want to move. Fun. Anywho, going through the CARB process with Cobb will get you the papers and everything you need anyways to present to whomever wants to look at it.

I actually never had to see a ref before so i never got a chance to experience that lol. Nice to see the ref giving tips lol

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
[MENTION=4241]Smee_STI[/MENTION] hey you go again, lol.

You better get that Platinum Membership for making us work so hard. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.