How To: Reverse Lockout Cable Install

Cujo159

If you're like me, you're a noob and didn't make sure to secure your reverse lockout cable (RLC for short) when you installed your short throw shifter. If your reverse lockout cable failed for some other reason feel free to post why, I know many would be curious.

Tools:
- No special tools needed other than metric unit socket and wrench sets
- Allen Key Metric set
- 3/32 push pin
- Zip ties
- Patience and lack of anger
- Wife to laugh at you when you hurt yourself or for when tools drop on your face

Reverse Lockout Cable Part Number: 35060FG000

1.) First obvious step is to get it up on the jack stands. Jack up the car from the center transmission cross member brace.

2.) Next, take apart the center console as if you were installing a short throw shifter.

7271026868_15b346eaf4.jpg
7271025358_49c6134cfb.jpg

3.) Fully disassemble the reverse lockout pin/cable mechanism in the shifter so that it's free moving an no longer attached. This will make everything easier and more fluid for the uninstall beneath the car.

4.) Get under the car and simply pull through the RLC through the rubber boot that separates the inside of the car from the outside.

7271020976_ae5ae0a924.jpg

5.) Loosen the screws around the cable holder.

7271019808_3d3c6713f2.jpg

6.) With adequate force, pop the screw hold assembly out of the holder. It's a little difficult as it's tapered smaller at the opening.

7.) Pull the hold pin and remove the washer. Keep these, you'll need them ;)

7271017420_726c27a4d5.jpg

8.) Remove the RLC from the toggle lever and scoff at it for being weak and feeble when rubbing against a metal shaft that's rotating between 2000-6600 rpms. Throw in trash pile.

7271016212_652ea7044e.jpg

9.) Replace cable by first pushing the interior side back through the rubber grommet, into the interior of the car, and attach to the shifter assembly inside the cabin.

7271010874_7ca846c92f.jpg

10.) Line up the holes on the reverse lockout toggle lever on the transmission by using the positioning assembly. This is made easier by using an allen key to keep the holes lined up.

7271003540_9193e6fe4a.jpg

11.) Tighten down the positioning assembly and use a zip tie to secure the cable with the original clamp that is utterly useless on its own.

7271002382_d75a9dd4aa.jpg

7271001048_6340ca7c12.jpg
7270999610_a7336f818f.jpg

12.) Don't forget to break off a bolt or two from your exhaust system which adds an enjoyable amount of work while you find that no auto parts store in the area carries a properly sized bolt spring assembly, forcing you to piece one together out of hardware store parts....like a boss. Admire your rigging workmanship and super human strength.

7270994364_379bd180dd.jpg
7270995518_e94065500c.jpg

13.) Last step.... and this is important. DO NOT forget to take pictures of your wife's butt while she is taking a nap with you in the garage. :tup:

7271005050_8a276af0cb.jpg

This could all be avoided however if you secure the cable after a short throw shifter install as done in step #11. :roll: :lol:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Great write up. Thank you for doing this.

STimedic

You forgot step 11b: use enough zipties to properly secure the RLC cable in case of nuclear explosion. I have no less than 5 securing mine......and it still rubs every now and again.

HolyCrapItsFast

Drinks beer!
Thank you for posting... I will go ahead and add it to the index page :tup:

Cujo159

You forgot step 11b: use enough zipties to properly secure the RLC cable in case of nuclear explosion. I have no less than 5 securing mine......and it still rubs every now and again.

Ha ha ha I'll have to check mine and make sure it's good but so far there has been no noise from the cable.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Unless I missed it, I did not see a price on the cable. How much does it cost?

Mine right now does one of two things during it's bipolar illness. Either it is loose and I can pull up on the RL, but can't get into reverse, or, the RL is stuck in neutral, but I can go in 1-6 AND reverse.

Cujo159

The cable cost about 60 bucks.

I was having the same issue with my cable. Sorry to say but your cable is busted :(

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
The cable cost about 60 bucks.

I was having the same issue with my cable. Sorry to say but your cable is busted :(

I went to the dealer friday and ordered one. It came in today, so I just have to go pick it up. Stupid cable.. Grumble grumble...

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Ehh.. Time to wake up and go swap the cable. Unfortunately I will not be able to complete the whole process since I do not have a wife to take pictures of her butt. :(

GUNNS

Hi guys ,inside the RLC cable eye there is a washer or ring ,mine is dry rotted can you say what i can use instead,thanks

mim3

Hello, so I lost the "bolt" that attaches the unit to the trans as seen below 7 above. Anyone know what size that is 4mm appears to be to small and 5mm is to big. So, 4.5?

Okay, my bad. Further education and now understand that is an alignment socket. The internet can sometimes be helpful!