Covering or plugging trunk/wing holes?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I now have a trunk that has 4 holes to attach a wing. For most of my daily driving I want to be wingless, but will occasionally put my wing on for track days, or just looking cool. So now I'm faced with covering/plugging the four holes.

I have one requirement: The plug/cover must be water-tight. After that, i just want it to look as discreet as possible.

What would you guys recommend?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Ok upon searching i've come up with three basic options:

1) Low profile bolt/machine-screw + nylon washer

2) Nylon plug or "christmas tree" plug

3) Vinyl stickers

Any opinions on those options?

Z1107

Go to any autoparts store or home improvement store and buy some correct size plugs(plastic) and matching touch up paint, and sand paper.

1. Sand the tops of the plugs as far as you can go before their integrity is sacrificed so it can be flush with the trunk lid.

2. Paint the tops of the plugs with paint matched to car. Sand again then repaint. Let dry for a couple hours.

3. Plug holes and put thin layer of silicone to keep water tight.

You will be able to pull the plugs any time and while they are in nobody will notice them unless standing next to the car.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
What kind of silicone do i use? I have some silicone glue that seems to hold pretty well--i'm not sure how well that would work at being a temporary/re-usable solution.

Vermont

A soft rubber gasket on the bottem side (inside the trunk) would be your best bet for water tightness. You can pick up a set for cheap at any hardware store. Just make sure and get the ones designed for plumbing. As they will be water tight when tightened properly.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Go to any autoparts store or home improvement store and buy some correct size plugs(plastic) ...

A soft rubber gasket on the bottem side (inside the trunk) would be your best bet for water tightness. You can pick up a set for cheap at any hardware store. Just make sure and get the ones designed for plumbing. As they will be water tight when tightened properly.

I went to autozone and picked up some of these (top left in the pic):

hardware.png

But I'm not sure they'll fit and/or stay tight so I went to a hardware store and found zilch. Could either of you find a link or a pic of what you're talking about.?

Vermont

I would have thought a Lowes or other type of hard ware store would have the required rubber gaskets. I mean all you would need is like a new small rubber donut gasket from the plumbing section, as that would be preferable to having to re-silicone up the holes each time. Although if you want to go that rout we can, as I have a crap load of silicone sealant and rtv blue.

Z1107

Mark your right I didnt think of that, I think by the time I found all the proper plugs (which took forever) I said fuck it. Hell I'm staying wingless so I just filled the holes.

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I found a pretty good plug! Its from here (the hole in the vertical support):

IMAG0011.jpg

Looks like this:

IMAG0010.jpg

And here it is installed:

IMAG0008.jpg

Anyone know where I can get more of these? My car only came with two!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
ps im not 100% sold on that. It sticks up more than I'd like. And due to the shape of the two pieces, im not sure i can file it flatter. I'm still taking ideas!

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member

I still think it's important to put a fine layer of (preferably marine grade, for boats) RTV Silicone adhesive on the plug before inserting it into the hole and quickly wiping any excess off of your paint with an alcohol soaked cloth. The rubber gasket underneath would be a great plus, but I say to use the silicone because I feel that if you only use the gasket underneath, water, road salt residue, etc. could be trapped between the top of the plug and the gasket, leading to accelerated corrosion.

I would also suggest buying 2-3x as many plugs as you need to do the job once. When you remove them in the future to put the wing on, you will likely damage the plug while punching it out from the underside. Also, periodically replacing them will keep them in better shape. Sun damage and seasonal temperature swings will make them brittle and compromise their sealing integrity.

Honestly, I kinda like the machine screw and nylon washer idea too!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
I ended up using a tiny piece of electrical tape. Yay for having a black car. You can barely see it until you're RIGHT there.

MCScoobaru

The vinyl stickers work pretty good. I got a sheet of vinyl and a circle cutter from michaels. And it looks great. I just spray painted the vinyl cut it out and slapped it on. The only problem I've seen is the edges lift over time. But it's been on my car for a little over a year.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Grinder34

Track Monkey
My electrical tape is still going strong. No lifted edges through summer, rain and snow.