GR RDKLSTi ? 518whp/492wtq (MD) 2008 STi

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member

Deek

Pretty sure I'm settled on the Mich PS2's, tires are just not something I want to compromise on this time around... I'll sleep on it to be sure. ;)

Deek

Did quite a bit of educating myself on turbos tonight, note the Dom 3 XTR is now being reconsidered. I hear someone has an FP black they're trying to sell. ;)

Ed - I'm ready for a discussion via phone, give me a call any time after 12pm your time tomorrow.

Last edited:

Deek

Ed - good chat... so much to figure out and learn. Admittedly a bit overwhelming trying to sort all of this out without taking too much focus off of work. I think the next step is a spreadsheet I (we?) can manage to help me first figure out what is sufficient to attain my goals reliably, then look at prices then go from there.

Last edited:

Deek

Ed - I have a guest room with a queen sized memory foam bed and a 42" LED LCD, you going to get on a plane and come out here for a weekend of engine swap madness once all these parts are sorted out?

Deek

Labor day weekend looks possible, if I (we) can get all the parts sorted out and together in time. I could request off the preceding Friday (Aug 31) giving us 4 days, 8/31-9/3. Definitely would have to get to ordering all the goodies though.

Deek

With the exception of my brake job and the pressing of a few bushings, everything that is on my car I've done in my garage with the tools I have. I did the brakes at a buddy's house cause he had some Swedish power bleeder system that hooked up to his compressor that made the job way easier, and I had the bushings pressed at a local shop.

There is a pepboys within 3 miles, and an autozone and sears within 10-15 miles from my house. So any tools that I don't have can easily be acquired. Since we won't be doing anything inside the engine, I don't think we'll need any specialty tools to accomplish this task. Unless I'm missing something totally obscure, or am just off my rocker cause I'm inexperienced.

Last edited:

Deek

Just found out a harbor freight opened up about a 20 minute drive from home. Hoist & stand shouldn't be an issue, probably pick up a small compressor while I'm at it. Not sure I can go nuts and get a full blown pneumatic tool set, but the bare necessities maybe.

I'll PM you something about a boost leak tester for your opinion.

Deek

Hoist and stand will cost about this much:
Hoist -- $180 + $20 for one year warranty
Stand $45

Hoist; http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-capacity-foldable-shop-crane-93840.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-capacity-foldable-shop-crane-93840.htmlStand
-option 1: http://www.harborfreight.com/750-lb-capacity-engine-stand-32915.html
-option 2: http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb-foldable-engine-stand-67015.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/2000-lb-foldable-engine-stand-67015.html
*I linked option 2 because option 1 has some pretty shitty reviews, and I'm all about the overkill.

http://www.harborfreight.com/750-lb-capacity-engine-stand-32915.htmlThese sufficient? More-so concerned about the stand, I presume they're universal but not completely sure.

Deek

Took off turbo and inlet, will just deal with late spool with FP black until I can rebuild heads, take a look at the link now. Prices are as listed on vendor sites, I have a PM to my usual vendor who normally gives me great deals.

Last edited:

Deek

Stock up pipe is cracked, going EL for better low end and torque.

I'll look at sheet when I have a break.

Deek via Tapatalk on the GNEX.

Deek

I'm a bit confused, based on a previous conversation we had about finding parts that work together in the sense of maintaining adequate flow... won't the stock header manifold be restrictive for the FP Black? Or will it not matter because I'm not doing headwork (cams, etc) this time around?

Edit: I know I won't be doing this header, cause I'm just not ready to shell out $1200+ for it.. but Killer B has some dyno charts up for their EL header that have reviews from a few builders/tuners that show gains from just adding it. http://www.killerbmotorsport.com/index_files/header.htm

Last edited:

Deek

I suppose a little DEEK-PSYC-101 would be beneficial so you understand my master-plan.

I would rather spend a couple bucks more right now on parts that may not necessarily be... necessary... until I get the head-work done. To elaborate I'd rather buy the header/uppipe combo now than spend $300+ on the Grimmspeed service (including flex pipe & coating) and then in the near future, say early 2013 when tax season hits, negating that investment to eventually buy the header/uppipe combo I'll need. After dealing with the core charge and all the shipping, it'll probably damn near even out anyways... Then I need to sell it off too? Gah!

Simply put... I'd prefer to do everything for the big build (to me) now, then when the extra couple grand I'll need for head-work is available it's a simple process of tearing it down, messing only with the heads, putting it back together and getting it retuned. Not having to go through the part selection process over again and having to find buyers for my used stuff. I realize that I'll be a bit bottle-necked in the meantime, but it's just how I work I suppose.

Redundant explanation is a bit redundant, I know.

Bill Gates said something something "I'll always chose a lazy person to do a difficult job, because he'll find an easy way to do it." In this instance... to me anyways... this means avoiding redundant work, and in the long run avoiding creating more work for myself trying to part this stuff out when the time comes.

...redundant.

EDIT: I should have a price list from my usual vendor here shortly for the parts I submitted. Things are getting closer and the sheet as it sits is within my current allotted budget. Who is "DP" that you named in the sheet?

Deek

Ironed a concern or two out via text, we'll get a screen share going when you feel better and we'll knock out all the details so I can get things ordered.

Get some rest, brosephine.

Deek

Productive past couple days... need to find a source for parts since my usual vendor didn't really come through for me as I would have liked. Found a shop less than 3 miles away from me that does custom fabrication, swaps, wiring... you name it. Stopped in there today, visited (see; interviewed) the owner of this 1-man operation and we came to an agreement on labor. Now I just need to get the engine from Ed to his shop, along with my parts order, then roughly 2 weeks after its all together, pressure tested, etc, it goes off to Church's for tuning.

I'm getting excited about all of this again... I was overwhelming myself with working out details, how I would put it all together, get it here... over all just complete the project. In the past couple days I was able to take my mind off of work a bit and a lot got sorted out. Ed - let me know what you find out with your shipping source. I'm ready as hell for all of this.

Last edited: