My car is still pretty new, what can i do to it without jeopardizing the warranty?

Grinder34

Track Monkey
First, you have to understand that the warranty isn't one simple thing where it's either valid or void. Think of each system as having its own warranty: The wheels have a warranty that's mostly seperate from the stereo's warranty, that's mostly seperate from the steering rack's warranty! In large part this is due to the Magnuson?Moss Warranty Act, designed to protect consumers. For more information i recommend the FTC website (and in paritcular the "tie-in sales" disccusion): link.

That means that pretty much anything you do can/will void *part* of the car's warranty, but leave the rest mostly in tact. An example would be that if a car with a heavily modified engine and huge turbo, had the stereo head unit break, the dealer would still be obligated to replace the stereo under warranty.

Above i said that the seperate warranties were "mostly seperate" because there are times when the warranties are related. In my above example of the heavily modified engine, let's now say that the stereo broke and the rear differential broke. This person has never even touched the rear differential, but the dealership could refuse warranty service on the rear diff by reasonably claiming that the modifications to the engine caused the rear differential to be used in a manner not intended: the application of too much power.

Let's do another specific example:
If you get a Cobb AccessPort, and flash a stage 1 map, you could be in engine warranty trouble. Even though you're only modifying the ECU, the engine is controlled by the ECU, so a dealership could deny some engine warranty work depending on the nature of the repair required. If you crack a ringland, the dealership will probably try to blame the tune for the damage (even though it happens often on stock tunes!). What about if you break the differential, like the example above? Well, that's a lot less straight forward. I say that because SOME STIs come with above stage 1 power with that same differential, you should be covered! Look at the STI 330S. The dealer will probably say that the differential should not be covered, and you'll disagree.

Does that mean you're stuck at stock power levels? Maybe not.
Some dealerships are also aftermarket parts vendors. I know there is a dealership local to me that will sell AccessPorts, downpipes, intakes, etc... and will actually cover them as if they were OEM replacement parts. You usually have to buy the parts and installation from the dealership, but sometimes you can get away with bringing them a vehicle that they didn't modify and have them be ok with warranty work. It's risky, and if you're worried about the warranty I'd buy through them and get the warranty coverage in writing if you can.

There's lots of other fun to be had with modifications though! Many people focus solely on the engine, but the suspension can be just as rewarding! Plus, the warranty issues seem to be much less frequent when dealing with suspension upgrades.

Edited 8/5/2020 - Updated some links!

Last edited:

CCI

Well put Grinder34 Thank You . I wish I came acrossed this Answer 3 yrs ago.Thats the best answer Iv seen about Warranties Vaild/ Void issues with the WRX / STI or any warranties for that matter when upgrading anything. To stay clear of any problems YES ask a Subaru Dealer and mostlickly required to use there parts mostly SPT parts but few others. Had same conserns on my 08 WRX I wanted no issues with my warrantie. Upgrading Power I dont feel the need Im happy with the power altho I am doing the Steering/Suspension and want an upgraded Air intake, I hear stock is not suffeiant and do want my Motor to Run well an for a Long Long time. Im Wanting an upgraded Intake but hear that you Need to remap the ECU to do so properly.
QUESTION
IS IT true a remap is needed when upgrading the intake on = 08 WRX 5dr 2.5 L ? ]

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
want an upgraded Air intake, I hear stock is not suffeiant and do want my Motor to Run well an for a Long Long time. Im Wanting an upgraded Intake but hear that you Need to remap the ECU to do so properly.
QUESTION
IS IT true a remap is needed when upgrading the intake on = 08 WRX 5dr 2.5 L ? ]

Fuji is right. Stock is plenty sufficient for stock power and even moderate power.
If you want the noise, do a silencer delete. Easy mod and gives you some of the wooshy noises to please your ears.
If your hell bent on a CAI (cold air intake) then I would suggest a retune. Some OTS (off the shelf) maps support specific CAI's.

ZachTTLM

Agree with the above mentioned information about the intake, the stock setup is fine for a moderate setups. If the interest is still there for an intake as scampy mentioned I would suggest a model such as the Cobb sf intake due to the off the shelf tune available with the accessPORT.