Wheel and tire tech

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Re: pressure differential.

Way too many variables to determine tire pressure vs. exploding diffs.

Read a neat article about a guy trying to ascertain tire pressure and growth and how it relates to handling.
He did an experiment to measure tire growth or overall diameter. He filled one tire to 10 psi and then the other to 40 psi. He measured and there was no difference in diameter. He then placed both tires in the sun and let them bake. The tire with 40 psi grew to only 1/8 inch greater than the other. When he let them cool, the higher psi tire returned to the before diameter.

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Measured them at different pressures while under the corner of a 3,300 lb. car? ;)

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
5 psi increments starting from flat to max pressure.
I'll do it this weekend when I change the oil in the car.
This will be only for my tire setup but should give a good roundabout.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
I'd recommend measuring your tread depth on all tires before conducting this experiment. Just so you have all your variables covered.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Interesting. Do a write up???? Enter contest????? Win $1000????? Maybe. Still interested in findings.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Any updates on this?

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
No. Never did it. Changing diapers seems to take most if my time nowadays. Lol

I would say post a how to, but that'd be a little out of STi context! :lol:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Actually I did. Used to send dirty diaper pics to the wife. Lol
I have a strong stomach and not much makes me nauseated but this sweet little angel can fill her diaper and make even the strongest men cry uncle.

Theres a demon inside of her! :lol:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Well, I can definitely say that when you blow out a tire on the highway, the TCS starts flashing and the center diff starts making angry noises at you.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Holy @#$&! Did that one in real good, huh? I haven't seen a bead break uniformly like that in.....gosh, idk.....years.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Holy @#$&! Did that one in real good, huh? I haven't seen a bead break uniformly like that in.....gosh, idk.....years.

Bead is actually still seated though the tire is split around the circumference of the sidewall.

75 mph @ 6:30 this morning going to work. Makes for fun times

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Idk if you've ever seen the process of building tires from scratch or not, but it looks like the point where the bead is bonded to the sidewall is where it tore. Crazy. Was that tire a little low on pressure?