What coolant should I run in my radiator?

13STI

I was told to double check what coolant to run because i purchased new hoses (looked cool). I work at Advance Auto and I get 20% discount on everything, so i wanted to know if i could run green Peak 50-50? Or should I run SUB coolant.

MERRY XMAS everyone!!!
:tard::tard::tard:

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
Subaru recommends using their long life coolant.

If you mix coolants, it will void any claim regarding cooling issues. It will also supposedly negate the long life coolant and you will have to return to a more conventional coolant change interval.

Comes in 50/50 mixed gallon jugs.

Stick with the Subaru coolant for piece of mind, anyway.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
I use prestone and my subaru is perfectly awesome :D

Given that he is running a 2013, presumably under warranty, I would stick with Subaru coolant.

Otherwise I agree that running a more conventional coolant is perfectly acceptable.

finallymysti

In the summer I run distilled water and water wetter. this is in a track car. I personally think pretty much all antifreeze is equal. but you may as well use subaru antifreeze for warranty purposes.

Last edited:

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
I run Amsoil coolant with a boost additive. Great stuff. Best I have seen over the years.

Spamby

Meat Product Toy
In the summer I run straight water. I personally think coolants coolant

Antifreeze not only lowers the freezing point of your water it also raises the boiling point.
Antifreeze also has lubrication properties for things like your water pump.
Antifreeze also has anti-corrosion agents to prevent rust and scale from forming.

Not running antifreeze in the summer can be prohibitive in that it will not allow your water to properly cool.
Not using antifreeze can and will provide an environment that scale and rust will develop causing water pump bearings to fail and blockage in your radiators cooling tubes, among other places.

Also water and metal = oxidation coolant has anti oxidants in it to stop corrosion. Once you get rust in there it will clog the passages hence GRANADING YOUR MOTOR! If info is going to be put into the threads have it be liable info rather than information that will cause some one to blow up their motor!

finallymysti

I should have added I also use a water wetter. What I meant by straight water was no coolant. And yes it's a track car.

If I should use coolant as well as water wetter tell me.

Also I will rephrase my first post to clarify the average person should run antifreeze. My situation is special.:tard:

Last edited:

13STI

I bought some 50/50 prestone green, my coolant is green so i figured id get it with my discount........Might aswell get the sub coolant?

Fast Tuning Products

Inactive Vendor
I bought some 50/50 prestone green, my coolant is green so i figured id get it with my discount........Might aswell get the sub coolant?

If you need Subaru Coolant we have some here! Send me a PM. If you're in New Jersey we can have it out to you with standard ground shipping in 1-2 business days.