Wheel Spacers, Good or Bad idea?

13STI

Hey guys! I want to buy wheel spacers for now until I can afford a new set of rims and summer tires. What are the +,- of spacers, and if ok then what is a good affordable brand?

Thanks!!

Grinder34

Track Monkey
http://www.igotasti.com/vBforum/showthread.php?4046-Wheel-Spacers

That thread is a little different, but lots of useful info in there.

Basically, wheel spacers put some extra stress on the wheel bearings, meaning they'll fail sooner than without spacers. The thing is, its hard to quantify just how much extra wear you're putting on them and, consequently, how much earlier the bearings will fail.

But it looks waaaay better!

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
Are looks really that much more important than performance?

To some.. They are. Haha

Evo_Fucking_STi

they aren't always used for looks. Some race teams you use them to get better spacing for brake cooling and making a wider track on the car. If you run a set of extended studs and a smaller spacer you will have no problems. I have ran spacers on my car for 50k with out loosing a wheel bearing, I don't believe all the hype about it wears out your wheel bearings faster.

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
they aren't always used for looks. Some race teams you use them to get better spacing for brake cooling and making a wider track on the car. If you run a set of extended studs and a smaller spacer you will have no problems. I have ran spacers on my car for 50k with out loosing a wheel bearing, I don't believe all the hype about it wears out your wheel bearings faster.

:tup:

Alin

Diehard Car Enthusiast!
The bearing issues could be from people not torquing lugnuts and/or the castle nuts to spec. Either way will ruin them.

What are castle nuts? Where do those go?

13STI

Hmmmm some good points but i also forgot that you would need longer studs......do i really wanna take em out now. Nope i waiting until its not 20 degrees out side:D

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
We're looking to do the 20mm Perrin spacers on our 2016 STi. What do you guys think about them?

Give us the pro's and con's.

?Ask us how to become a Lifetime Platinum Member today!?

Here's what they'll look like on your car, Mr. President.

I did a buncha research on them before deciding "oh what the heck, I'll do it" so here's what I came up with.

Wheel Spacers are GOOD if you get hub-centric spacers, if you want to widen your track a little without getting wider tires and wheels, and if you change between seasonal tires (summer and winter) and take 'em off every now and then.

Wheel Spacers are BAD if you want to take it to the track or autocross, if you plan on leaving them on for a long time, and if you are allergic to manual labor (that last one is kinda just me being silly trying to come up with a third reason).

If it's just for looks, you'll be fine. I don't recommend running them for long periods of time. When I switch back to my winter setup, they'll come off, so I'm not worried about it. Some people add spacers for "performance", but they honestly don't contribute enough to outweigh the stress they put on your suspension and bearings.

IGOTASTi

System Operator
Staff member
Here's what they'll look like on your car, Mr. President.

https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1595/25963881523_8680b86cd8_z.jpg

I did a buncha research on them before deciding "oh what the heck, I'll do it" so here's what I came up with.

Wheel Spacers are GOOD if you get hub-centric spacers, if you want to widen your track a little without getting wider tires and wheels, and if you change between seasonal tires (summer and winter) and take 'em off every now and then.

Wheel Spacers are BAD if you want to take it to the track or autocross, if you plan on leaving them on for a long time, and if you are allergic to manual labor (that last one is kinda just me being silly trying to come up with a third reason).

If it's just for looks, you'll be fine. I don't recommend running them for long periods of time. When I switch back to my winter setup, they'll come off, so I'm not worried about it. Some people add spacers for "performance", but they honestly don't contribute enough to outweigh the stress they put on your suspension and bearings.

Great info thank you! Going to order some because they look so good installed. ;)