When should I upgrade my drive shaft?

Bang876

Will be finishing up my build and have the car tune up to about 430whp 390TQ and was wondering is the stock drive shaft sufficient for this power range and torque? I don't autocross or any form of racing for that matter. I just drive the car to work and enjoy the occasional WOT when getting on the free way. Overall not an aggressive driver and the car is baby about 98% of the time.

When I get around to messing with the STI again I plan on having an aluminum one made at a shop. The Drive Shaft Shop off the shelf aluminum ones are hit or miss with vibration from what I've seen. The carbon fiber ones available are several times the price of having an aluminum one made (~$5-600 from the quotes I've received).

i got a PST one off craigslist for 500 one of the best mods ever! its hard to explain but once you feel the difference between the crummy 2 piece one and a solid carbon shaft you will know what im talking about.

dcp2

Just upgraded mine and its really worth it. I agree one of the best mods. Will tranform your car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grinder34

Track Monkey
Well, let's compare it to other places to spend $500...

All of these things are below $500 (individually, not together).

Lots of Bushings (suspension and/or driveline)
Top hats
Springs
Swaybars
Endlinks
Used Accessport
SSK
Diff Lockdown Bolts
Engine/Diff Mounts
Flywheel
Clutch
Downpipe
Cat-Back
Up-pipe
Heat Shield
Etc...

I wouldn't jump right on the driveshaft bandwagon, if you haven't at least considered some of the things above.

I''ve got an 07 and I know that the bushings in the car are ~10 years old, and somewhat soft from the factory. A bushing overhaul will definitely make the car seem much more like new.