Injectors: Top Feed Conversion

Bang876

I took some pictures of my Top Feed conversion at Pacific Import Autos and figure I should share them. This could give some members an insight as to what is involved regarding changing your injectors or switching from side feed to top feed.

Parts included in pictures are:
FIC 1100cc Injectors
FIC Top Feed Conversion Fuel Rails
Fittings and hoses
Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator

First thing you want to do is let the car set overnight to allow the fuel pressure to drop and to ensure a cool engine to work with.

1-Disconnect the battery terminals and remove both the windshield fluids tank and battery.

2-Remove your alternator and now would also be a good time to replace the belts as well if needed.

3- Now begin removing the intake manifold and inter cooler or in my case I had to removed the piping first due to my FMIC set up
There is a lot of wires and connections you will need to disconnect inorder to get the intake manifold out, so keep track of which goes where but most will only fit in their design area so not to worry.

photo61_zpsac80dc16.jpg

4-Now would also be a great time to conduct a compression and leakdown test as well as new spark plugs. Once that is complete you can disconnect the fuel lines.
5-Remove the old injectors

photo63_zps6cd3186a.jpg

6- Start assembling the new injectors onto the fuel rails

photo64_zps2fb7b05f.jpg

photo62_zps618bd90a.jpg

7- With injectors firmly secured within the rails, you can start screwing them back onto the intake manifold

8- Then with your new fittings and fuel lines begin connecting them to the two rails which has two connections each.
photo65_zpsd515fba0.jpg

photo67_zps950bbcd6.jpg

photo66_zps195f3af5.jpg

photo68_zps018d440f.jpg

9- Repeat the process until you have both rails connected. You also need to start assembling the injectors electrical plug and connect them to all four injectors.

10- Before we install everything back in I suggest you might as well get new spark plugs

11- Now get your gaskets ready and every so gently place them within the groves

12- Gently lower the intake manifold back on

photo69_zps08b2397e.jpg

13- connect the fuel lines to the Fuel Pressure Regulator, in my case its the Aermotive mounted on my Pitch Stop Torque Mount
photo70_zpsfb12ee6e.jpg

14- Then reconnect your fuel lines and please ensure they are in the proper order. Dont do what I did and put them on backwards and caused the Fuel Pressure Regulator not to work properly .

photo71_zpsb76ee9ba.jpg

Above is the wrong side, so yeah dont do that.

15- You then want to set your fuel pressure and reconnect everything back on such as all your electrical sensors, power steering, battery, and windshield fluid tank.

photo72_zps11122398.jpg

16- From here I suggest getting a retun to fully maximize your new injectors.

Well that is about it guys. I know I skipped a lot of steps and my explanations are not very detailed, but hey this was a learning process for me as well. Plus this was actually suppose to just be pictures. I hope this help with those who are considering doing something of this nature.

Thank You

Last edited by a moderator:

Grinder34

Track Monkey
thanks for the write up! I'm thinking of moving this to the how-to section. Thoughts?

Also, how long did it take you?

Batmobile_Engage

Squirrel Meat Aficionado.
Staff member
Can someone give a brief description of the pro's/con's of converting from side feed to top feed?
I remember there being an advantage to this being done, but can't recall what that is...

Bang876

Can someone give a brief description of the pro's/con's of converting from side feed to top feed?
I remember there being an advantage to this being done, but can't recall what that is...

From what my tuner said it mainly helps with the flow of fuel and its consistency since you are now working with gravity. But side feed is adequate for most application but for those seeking higher and bigger power Top feed tend to be the choice for most since you will have to change rails, lines etc

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
^ Maybe this is why my idle has never been optimal. DW850cc side feed injectors and side feed Perrin fuel rails.

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
Well, that actually makes me feel a little bit better. I've gone half blind trying to locate any vacuum leaks, because everyone swore up and down that was the likely cause of my shitty idle.

I had to verify to be sure that it wasn't a vacuum leak, but I always assumed otherwise because if I ever reset/reflash the ECU or disconnect the battery of course, it would idle absolutley horrible for nearly a week before getting a little more stable.

Hell I've been over a number of things...figured maybe my MAF was dirty, etc.etc.etc...

Batmobile_Engage

Staff member
When I build the motor, I'll need larger injectors, probably 1000's, so I'll either just go with them and stay side feed or convert.